IGNORED

Bakinson...Too casual by far

the frampton balti

7 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

The midfield 3 didn't work last night. HNM out on the left, totally wrong. I feel sorry for him, he must be desperate to go elsewhere and play, as it looks like he isn't going to get into a DH midfield unless everybody else is injured. There's no point in him staying at City.

I actually wondered if it was deliberate, as I bet he has never played wide left in his life before.

He was also always going to be the first player subbed unless we had another injury. 

Seems like part of a plan to get him to leave to me.

12 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

Can’t say I’ve seen much to make me think he is consistently good enough for the side. 

He will be but atm he’s not being handled correctly out of necessity tbf to Holden. As I said in another topic he shouldn’t be playing week in and week out. He should be given batches of games to mature. As with many young players he’s finding the toughness of performing in the Championship game after game too much to handle right now.

However the kid clearly has the tools needed. We need more bodies and he needs managing properly. Right now that is a “luxury” Holden simply doesn’t have.

34 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

The midfield 3 didn't work last night. HNM out on the left, totally wrong. I feel sorry for him, he must be desperate to go elsewhere and play, as it looks like he isn't going to get into a DH midfield unless everybody else is injured. There's no point in him staying at City.

Midfield 4!!!  But I get your point.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Midfield 4!!!  But I get your point.

Maybe a case for Taylor Moore to come in as a DMF to sit in front of the back 4, with 3 MF's behind Wells and Fam. 
It's hard to come up with a set up that's different and only using the 14 available "experienced" players.

I do feel a bit of sympathy for DH, his options are more limited than any manager since TC. That said , I'm not entirely sure he's using what he has to it's best. 

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Maybe a case for Taylor Moore to come in as a DMF to sit in front of the back 4, with 3 MF's behind Wells and Fam. 
It's hard to come up with a set up that's different and only using the 14 available "experienced" players.

I do feel a bit of sympathy for DH, his options are more limited than any manager since TC. That said , I'm not entirely sure he's using what he has to it's best. 

Taylor Moore does not look like he has the ability or awareness to play as a DM.  It’s alright if you only have to face down the pitch, but not if you’re expected to do more than just screen the CBs and play no other part in the game when we have the ball.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Taylor Moore does not look like he has the ability or awareness to play as a DM.  It’s alright if you only have to face down the pitch, but not if you’re expected to do more than just screen the CBs and play no other part in the game when we have the ball.

Just trying to think of alternatives with what we have to play with.

I do think he could do that job, and I agree with your point, if he was a forward CB or CB screen. I wouldn't;t expect him to link play or get too involved further forward. But he is reasonable on the ball . Nagy is the only other one I'd trust in that role, and I think he'd be wasted there.

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

One might argue that him and Nagy as a two (in either a 352 or 442) might not be a great pairing.  I don’t see them working as a pair, helping each other.  Sometimes pairings just don’t gel.  They look like two individuals in there.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I posted the same last night....I don’t think Nagy and Bakinson work as a pair alongside each other.  I think both would prefer to be a “one” and have more advanced thinking players to do the breaking of lines etc, whilst knowing their role is to sit in front of the defence and distribute from there.

Whilst Bakinson was out, Nagy had Pato and COD.

Earlier this season, Bakinson had Weimann and Paterson.

Its about roles and responsibilities.  As a pair playing square of each other, they are both confused and confusing each other.

Glad you doubled down on this point Dave, as this was exactly what I said during the game and after.

When he was great earlier in the season his role was clearly defined at the base of midfield and he often had six players ahead of him using the full width of the pitch (two wing backs, two midfielders, two strikers). It gave him the luxury of making short quick instinctive one touch passes as well as taking on the higher risk ones, giving the overall impression of a high percentage passer.

Contrast yesterday where I really couldn't tell whether there was any difference in instructions between he and Nagy, who were both roaming around ostensibly as alternates in the same role, no bad thing in terms of covering ground and "utility", but seemed to me, especially with Simpson's recent mantra for first pass forward, that it left either facing limited, tougher upfield options.

Yesterday far from having six options at a range of distances and across the full width of the pitch (as was the case at the base of a 3-5-2 midfield), Bakinson was faced with getting it into one of 3 relatively isolated forwards dropping short under pressure, with his only "out" being if Massengo happened to be close (not always), and like you I saw little collaboration with Nagy.

I agree with the overall view that Bakinson was careless (and his languid style doesn't help), but I do think  it bears reminding that we've gone a long way from the system he thrived in. Given Nagy's performance at QPR I'd have got him in a more advanced role and made it very clear between them who was responsible for what. The midfield plan yesterday was confused at best.

17 hours ago, Harry said:

when he made that pass straight to Luton for the Bentley save, he just strolled back as they were attacking - if he’d sprinted he could have made it as far back as to putting pressure on their striker prior to his shot. 

indeed. it was vyner,I think ,that got over to at least make a challenge. in his defence i think he got injured early in the game making a great tackle( someone on here accused him of being shy which is not the case) which affected him. no excuse for giving it away so easy tho especially for the goal. 

18 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I thought he was absolutely woeful tonight, gifted them another chance that Bentley saved well before doing so again for the winner.

So obvious Holden doesn’t rate Massengo, ridiculously asked to play wide left before being subbed off, Bakinson should have been the one coming off for me.

I thought he would want to show his former club but he looked half hearted all night.

Holden is right not to rate Massengo as currently he is not at the races...That may change but playing him is a waste of time when players of the same age could get a start and offer more out wider. However its clear he rates him more than all of our u23 lads sitting on the bench!

Bakinson is languid and loses the ball a lot in poor areas, but he is in there at least wanting the ball and he is a big lad that helps. Massengo playing in there instead of Bakinson would have been/would be a gift to the opposition, however, we are poor everywhere until we can get players back or a couple in!

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Glad you doubled down on this point Dave, as this was exactly what I said during the game and after.

When he was great earlier in the season his role was clearly defined at the base of midfield and he often had six players ahead of him using the full width of the pitch (two wing backs, two midfielders, two strikers). It gave him the luxury of making short quick instinctive one touch passes as well as taking on the higher risk ones, giving the overall impression of a high percentage passer.

Contrast yesterday where I really couldn't tell whether there was any difference in instructions between he and Nagy, who were both roaming around ostensibly as alternates in the same role, no bad thing in terms of covering ground and "utility", but seemed to me, especially with Simpson's recent mantra for first pass forward, that it left either facing limited, tougher upfield options.

Yesterday far from having six options at a range of distances and across the full width of the pitch (as was the case at the base of a 3-5-2 midfield), Bakinson was faced with getting it into one of 3 relatively isolated forwards dropping short under pressure, with his only "out" being if Massengo happened to be close (not always), and like you I saw little collaboration with Nagy.

I agree with the overall view that Bakinson was careless (and his languid style doesn't help), but I do think  it bears reminding that we've gone a long way from the system he thrived in. Given Nagy's performance at QPR I'd have got him in a more advanced role and made it very clear between them who was responsible for what. The midfield plan yesterday was confused at best.

It’s a simple game Rob.  Both players lost each other’s passing angles by being flat / square of each other.  The same with Hunt and Semenyo, who play vertical of each other.  Like Eliasson, Semenyo hasn’t worked out (yet) that if he drifts in from the line, it’s not always to receive the ball, but to create spaces for others.

Two years ago I drew this:

image.jpeg.d492f4b0df553b1f7243682d161eb5a7.jpeg

It showed Weimann being vertical of Pisano and on this occasion Pack having limited passing options.

image.jpeg.21ce16762a7f2a876ec9da6af6b78471.jpeg

But the second pic showed Weimann drifting inside to give Pisano the overlap.

It also showed my other bugbear....distances back to front, but that’s another story.

Archived