IGNORED

It wasn't just Tomáš Kalas

phantom

• Admin

What is it with Chelsea hanging onto players for so long but never playing them??

Lucas Piazon: Chelsea's longest-serving player finally departs Stamford Bridge permanently

Ten years, eight loans, three senior first-team appearances.

When most players leave a club after a decade, the talk is of testimonials. When Lucas Piazon departed Stamford Bridge on Thursday, Chelsea fans could be forgiven for barely noticing.

The 26-year-old Brazilian, remarkably, was the longest-serving player in their current squad, having joined in 2011 and, in theory at least, worked under eight different managers.

In reality, though, that work usually amounted to a bit of pre-season training followed by the news he was being shipped off elsewhere for the season.

The attacking midfielder's transfer to Braga means that, at 26, he finally has a permanent home, having played in Spain, the Netherlands, Germany, Italy and Portugal while on Chelsea's books, not to mention spells in the Championship with Reading and Fulham.

• The title was changed to It wasn't just Tomáš Kalas

Part of it will be hiring a load of youth and hoping some pay off. All giving them excellent training through Chelsea's academy.

Additionally, loans with loan fees, wages covered and eventually sold on. Part of their business model, not least because Academy expenditure exempt from FFP. They spend a lot on their academy. 

In a word? Stockpiling.

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Part of it will be hiring a load of youth and hoping some pay off. All giving them excellent training through Chelsea's academy.

Additionally, loans with loan fees, wages covered and eventually sold on. Part of their business model, not least because Academy expenditure exempt from FFP. They spend a lot on their academy. 

In a word? Stockpiling.

I could understand that over 2-3 years, but this length of time? 

4 hours ago, phantom said:

I could understand that over 2-3 years, but this length of time? 

Yeah- Loan fees, wages saved- and eventually if they don't make it, sell-off- just one part of their strategy of course but a part of it nonetheless. Some are first team, some are cash cows, some are investments, some could go either way.,

The last part, sell-off, could be hit by attempts to reduce stockpiling, introduced in 2018.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/football-opinion/loan-fifa-transfer-rules-manchester-city-chelsea-loan-stockpiling-199694

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In a word? Stockpiling.

It's a great system.

Buy them young, train them send them out on loan, make some/a first team appearance, either show you're good enough for the first team, or go back on loan and they get loan fees and some/majority of the wages covered by someone else. Eventually the player will move on, more money to the club.

There is probably not one young(er) player they have had on their books in recent times, that they would have made a loss on.

Stockpiling indeed, but making a decent return on them as well.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah- Loan fees, wages saved- and eventually if they don't make it, sell-off- just one part of their strategy of course but a part of it nonetheless. Some are first team, some are cash cows, some are investments, some could go either way.,

The last part, sell-off, could be hit by attempts to reduce stockpiling, introduced in 2018.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/football-opinion/loan-fifa-transfer-rules-manchester-city-chelsea-loan-stockpiling-199694

I wonder if we were trying something similar when we went through that stage of signing so many players "for the future"

41 minutes ago, phantom said:

I wonder if we were trying something similar when we went through that stage of signing so many players "for the future"

I said something very similar about a year or so ago when we were signing players like Eisa, Szmodics, Smith, Cundy (although the latter two are still contracted here).

Lower league players who we thought may have that bit of something which makes them stand out in this league. Rough diamonds, to coin a phrase from someone, that could be polished up and shine for us, or alternatively be the next big transfer. Failing that, go out on loan, impress and earn a move so we recoup most of, if not all the money spent. Otherwise known as the Chelsea model. Hell, they've done that with us haven't they - Dasilva, Kalas, Palmer....

On a side note regarding Szmodics, back in the summer me and the wife went to a baby barn just outside of Colchester - sell a lot of new furniture at hugely discounted prices. Anyway, I digress. At the counter I recognised a picture of a black City away shirt, which upon further inspection was Szmodics, along with a few other pictures of him from his Colchester days, and another picture of him sat in the stands when he signed for us. 

Anyway, I asked what the link was because I supported City, and the younger of the two girls behind the counter said that she was his cousin. This wasn't long after we had sold him, and I said to her that I was surprised we had sold him as I thought he would do fairly well for us. She said that he deliberated over the move away from Colchester (bear in mind he had been there since he was a schoolboy), but that the move to us was one he couldn't turn down, and was really excited about the challenge.

He was absolutely gutted when we sold him, as he loved it here (ok he spent a fair time out on loan but besides the point), and that he had just purchased a house here literally weeks before being sold.

Off topic slightly there, but as I mentioned his name I thought I'd share a bit of info I'd gathered.

9 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Pretty sure we saw him play against us in the league cup game at Fulham in the 2016/17 season. Think he may have even scored in that one.

Was an absolute wonderkid around FM 12/13/14

Scored against us in a night league at Ashton Gate - must be a while ago as we haven't lost to them for a while, probably 2016/17. 

Kalas played that night, too.

In fact their team was ridiculous compared to ours, surprised it was only 2-0:  Cairney, McDonald, Johansen midfield - Piazon playing ahead of them as a 10. That's a midfield we can only dream of.

Chris Martin came on as a sub. 

Scott Parker was an unused sub.   

Archived