IGNORED

Offside rule confusion #3124 (Man City v Villa)

Lrrr

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55743116

Finding it frankly hilarious the reaction to this, none of Smith, Mings and a host of people who supposedly work in football online knew the rule and all questioning how Man City's goal was allowed to stand. I remember we had this situation either last season or the season before and its happened a fair amount in the EFL, its accepted its the rule yet when it happens in the premier league its a travesty. Just makes Smith and Mings look like mugs for not knowing the rules for the sport you work in.

I do find the interpretation of the rules confusing if not questionable by some officials. You can have two or three players in the penalty area clearly distracting the keeper but provided they don't receive the ball it's ok! I remember a match earlier this season where in similar situations one goal was allowed at one end of the pitch but denied at the other end!

But as it's Villa, hey ho!

11 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Finding it frankly hilarious the reaction to this, none of Smith, Mings and a host of people who supposedly work in football online knew the rule and all questioning how Man City's goal was allowed to stand. I remember we had this situation either last season or the season before and its happened a fair amount in the EFL, its accepted its the rule yet when it happens in the premier league its a travesty. Just makes Smith and Mings look like mugs for not knowing the rules for the sport you work in.

Agree. Its embarrassing.  It happened to us in a home match after a Taylor Moore flick on, so guessing most City fans knew the rule! Can't remember who it was against.  Might have been Boro

10 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Middlesbrough goal at the gate when Taylor Moore tried to intercept a long ball, which flicked off his head to assombalonga, who would of been offside. You could argue it was bigger travesty as the ball was meant for Assombalonga....

Your right though. As stupid a rule as it is... the villa team should know the rules.

(Thinking about it... there's that, an own goal and the mistake this season by Taylor Moore in 2 home games against Middlesbrough!!)

20 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Dean Smith made the point its a nonsense rule. Players can stand offside within a playable distance of the ball and challenge the player. 

Here is one where it was an offence.

Challenging an opponent (after deliberate play) 49 on Vimeo

19 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Agree. Its embarrassing.  It happened to us in a home match after a Taylor Moore flick on, so guessing most City fans knew the rule! Can't remember who it was against.  Might have been Boro

Beat me to it, it was Boro.

Remember it happening to Rovers v West Brom in FA Cup (Ismael Miller) yonks ago too....televised game....don’t worry, not a closet fan!

18 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Dean Smith made the point its a nonsense rule. Players can stand offside within a playable distance of the ball distance of the ball and challenge them.

Here is one where it was an offence.

Challenging an opponent (after deliberate play) 49 on Vimeo

Its a fine line, from your link

OFFSIDE - when the defender takes hold of the ball and is then in a very short moment challenged by the attacker (who was already going to challenge him for the ball before he played it).

I don't think you can say with certainty that Rodri was going to challenge Mings, Son has changed direction quickly to go towards the player in your video. 

Equally any Villa player near him should surely say not to play the ball? No other Man City player close enough to challenge if he lets it bounce first, its just smart from Rodri knowing what the rule is. Same way players go stand behind the defensive line from goal kicks as they can't be offside, I've known games with extremely windy pitches down pitch, player goes stands 'offside', keeper who already has a big kick off the floor and ball carries with wind in behind the defence.

It was fine line last night. Rodri clearly moved towards the ball from an offside position to a position within a play able distance of Mings. The player has gained an advantage from an offside position.  A player is deemed to be offside if challenging an opponent for the ball  Mings touch resets the offside but the player was feet away as was Son. Its too fine a line 

It would appear that the Offside law is there to prevent an unfair goal being scored (goal-hanging for us old 'uns), not to prevent an attacking player from challenging. But mention has been made of another old-fashioned phrase that isn't mentioned much these days: The Spirit of the Game. Hmm.

Anybody who refers to Rules and not Laws should be banned from football until they have passed a test to assure they know what they're talking about.

The issue isn't with Law 11 per se rather the utterly stupid IFAB committees who provide guidance as to how the Laws should be interpreted (which is inconsistent and leads to confusion.) 

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Same way players go stand behind the defensive line from goal kicks as they can't be offside,

If by 'defensive line' you refer to the 'goal line' you are incorrect. A player whose momentum takes him beyond the goal line and accidentally out of the field of play is not considered to have committed an offence, may re-enter the field of play without seeking the officials permission &, most importantly, is considered to be ON the goal line until play is next restarted (irrespective of where he is physically.)

Any player deliberately crossing the goal line (or touchline) without the officials permission (in the case of players seeking to restart play from corners or throw-ins permissions are considered tacit,) is in breach of Law 12 and must be cautioned accordingly in addition to seeking permission to re-enter the field of play.

I'll get my coat....

23 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

If by 'defensive line' you refer to the 'goal line' you are incorrect. A player whose momentum takes him beyond the goal line and accidentally out of the field of play is not considered to have committed an offence, may re-enter the field of play without seeking the officials permission &, most importantly, is considered to be ON the goal line until play is next restarted (irrespective of where he is physically.)

Any player deliberately crossing the goal line (or touchline) without the officials permission (in the case of players seeking to restart play from corners or throw-ins permissions are considered tacit,) is in breach of Law 12 and must be cautioned accordingly in addition to seeking permission to re-enter the field of play.

I'll get my coat....

No as I said it, I mean the opposition team's defensive line

8 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

No as I said it, I mean the opposition team's defensive line

In that case you are still incorrect.

They ARE offside whilst not committing the offence of being offside, which as Law 11 highlights are different considerations.

Archived