IGNORED

The Long Throw In

Abraham Romanovich

7 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I often wonder how effective it actually is? I can recall Flint scoring directly off Magnússon's throw against Cardiff but I can't think of any other goals that he assisted by launching it into the box. Did he even get that many pre-assists* from his long throw?

*I hate the term pre-assist but I have not made it up.

Bristol City scored more goals from Magnussons long throws than they would have done from a hundred corners or crosses - Bristol City outperformed norms on corners with having a high performing outlier in Flint in the team.

Long throws effectiveness has to be assessed with what was the alternative. Stoke were effective with throws in a similar manner to Cheltenham. Cheltenham could not keep possession v Man City so the long throw entering the box has more worth. Stoke had seasons in the premiership with the team passing passages consistently being below four passes so the importance of set plays was vital to the team.

Teams who keep the ball efficiently are going to be wasting possibility by losing possession by going long.

33 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I often wonder how effective it actually is? I can recall Flint scoring directly off Magnússon's throw against Cardiff but I can't think of any other goals that he assisted by launching it into the box. Did he even get that many pre-assists* from his long throw?

*I hate the term pre-assist but I have not made it up.

Djuric v Palace in cup

Archived