IGNORED

Table in Context

pl00peh91

I thought it might be good at this stage to look at the league table in context. My immediate reaction is that we are very far from relegation at this point but have a realistic chance of making the top six with our players coming back. Hopefully it will be a cause for optimism rather than pessimism!

53 Norwich

47 Watford

46 Swansea

44 Brentford Reading

42 Bournemouth

39 Middlesbrough Bristol City

37 Stoke

36 Blackburn Preston

34 Barnsley

33 Luton

31 Huddersfield 

30 Millwall 

29 Cardiff 

27 QPR

26 Coventry Birmingham 

25 Forest Derby

20 Rotherham

19 Sheff Wed

15 Wycombe 

I think, notwithstanding the concerns as to how we’re playing, nobody is thinking that we’re in danger of relegation (the knee jerk thread last Weds aside). 

In respect of the playoffs, yes, mathematically possible. But requires our luck to hold, and even if it does we have not beaten any side above us or level with us on points (P7 L5 D2, not played Brentford)

That’s the table in context.

What's missing from the OP's table?

The games played, the points difference etc. All of which give a little more context i.e. as per R101's post and the full table.
E.g. Brentford win their game in hand, they go second. Win their two games in hand, they are second comfortably and challenging for top spot.

Obviously, don't care if they win their game in hand but I'm hoping that we can blunt their push to win their second game in hand.
Currently, I'm thinking that this hope is actually wishful thinking, but I'll be supporting the team anyway.

When I look at the table in terms of context, I look at the teams above us and think “who is likely to drop off enough for our stuttering team to overtake?” and “who can we beat if we actually get in the top 6?”.

Neither answers fill me with optimism for top 6 aspirations this season.

It’s a shame because it feels like the chance was there this year.

• Admin
1 hour ago, pl00peh91 said:

I thought it might be good at this stage to look at the league table in context. My immediate reaction is that we are very far from relegation at this point but have a realistic chance of making the top six with our players coming back. Hopefully it will be a cause for optimism rather than pessimism!

53 Norwich

47 Watford

46 Swansea

44 Brentford Reading

42 Bournemouth

39 Middlesbrough Bristol City

37 Stoke

36 Blackburn Preston

34 Barnsley

33 Luton

31 Huddersfield 

30 Millwall 

29 Cardiff 

27 QPR

26 Coventry Birmingham 

25 Forest Derby

20 Rotherham

19 Sheff Wed

15 Wycombe 

6 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

What's missing from the OP's table?

The games played, the points difference etc. All of which give a little more context i.e. as per R101's post and the full table.
E.g. Brentford win their game in hand, they go second. Win their two games in hand, they are second comfortably and challenging for top spot.

Obviously, don't care if they win their game in hand but I'm hoping that we can blunt their push to win their second game in hand.
Currently, I'm thinking that this hope is actually wishful thinking, but I'll be supporting the team anyway.

Exactly what I was about to say, ironic that the main point mentioned was "context", but sadly the list of positions is far from having any context.

Your point does still stand though, but with a more informative table

image.png

image.png

6 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I fully expect us to finish anywhere between 7th and 13th. The current top 6 are all better than we are from what I've seen.

I've been trying to make predictions on our final position for years. I've failed abysmally every time. I'd like to think that this year, we are safe and I'll be looking for dog shit to step in for that top six finish.

Archived