IGNORED

Bears v Robins

Savino

3 hours ago, Savino said:

It shows that they had the vision and ambition to get to the very top of an elite sport.

We know that this is smaller scale financially, but what an achievement. Now please can we have the same vision and ambition for the football club, because the infrastructure (asset base) is in place, and it’s time to move forward.

I get that, but again Bristols vision isn’t something that we can replicate easily. 

You have to remember Bristol have, despite their struggles, been one of the biggest clubs in the country for decades, they just needed a direction to take them back to where they deserved to be. We aren’t in the same boat in that regard, so the vision that Pat instilled there wouldn’t work. Whether Holden can bring in something for the football side, on a smaller scale, remains to be seen. You’d also have to question what good a ‘vision’ like that would do in the current climate anyway

Straight from the man himself 

It’s quite unusual in the UK to be the owner of three different sports teams – Bristol Flyers, Bristol Bears and Bristol City. It may be an odd suggestion, because they are completely different sports but some would say that when you look at Bristol Bears, and the investment you’ve put in – a high-paid coach in terms of Pat (Lam), the players he brought in, and some fans would say why isn’t the same investment in Bristol City? What’s your response to those comparisons?

I would just say, go and find the accounts on Companies House and compare and then they’ll realise the amount of money spent on Bristol City far, far, far, far outweighs the money spent on Bristol Bears, because they are two different sports.

The investment in Bristol Bears is significant, in rugby terms. Yes, it gets a lot of publicity but I also ask you to look at Bristol Bears structure and it’s exactly the same structure that we do in Bristol City.

We have young players coming through; you’ve got the Joy Joyces of this world, the Andy Urens of this world; you’ve got recruitment of players that have come from other clubs who add value, the Harry Thackers of this world, the Harry Randalls of this world; And, yes, we have some investment in some top players that give us, in Premier League terms in rugby, that edge hopefully going forward.

I know some of the City fans will feel frustrated because the Bears are doing well at the moment, and long may that continue. But that shouldn’t be a cause of jealousy, it should be a cause of pride, admiration and a determination that Bristol City will get to the same position.

We’ve been investing in Bristol City for a long time now, we’ve been putting a lot of infrastructure in there.

Bristol rugby does have a tradition of actually being successful, but many moons ago. Bristol City has no tradition of being successful, if we’re being honest with each other.

We’ve had 125 years of snippets, of good times. I want to get into a consistently good time.

We’ve been consistent in the Championship and we flatter to deceive a little bit sometime but I think we’ve been consistently good and we’ve got to take that next step, and that’s this is all about.

That’s what Dean and his team are tasked with, that’s what Mark Ashton and the backroom staff are tasked with – getting the best out of what we’ve got, to make sure that we are competitive and we get that success

9 minutes ago, Gmac said:

It’s quite unusual in the UK to be the owner of three different sports teams – Bristol Flyers, Bristol Bears and Bristol City. It may be an odd suggestion, because they are completely different sports but some would say that when you look at Bristol Bears, and the investment you’ve put in – a high-paid coach in terms of Pat (Lam), the players he brought in, and some fans would say why isn’t the same investment in Bristol City? What’s your response to those comparisons?

I would just say, go and find the accounts on Companies House and compare and then they’ll realise the amount of money spent on Bristol City far, far, far, far outweighs the money spent on Bristol Bears, because they are two different sports.

The investment in Bristol Bears is significant, in rugby terms. Yes, it gets a lot of publicity but I also ask you to look at Bristol Bears structure and it’s exactly the same structure that we do in Bristol City.

We have young players coming through; you’ve got the Joy Joyces of this world, the Andy Urens of this world; you’ve got recruitment of players that have come from other clubs who add value, the Harry Thackers of this world, the Harry Randalls of this world; And, yes, we have some investment in some top players that give us, in Premier League terms in rugby, that edge hopefully going forward.

I know some of the City fans will feel frustrated because the Bears are doing well at the moment, and long may that continue. But that shouldn’t be a cause of jealousy, it should be a cause of pride, admiration and a determination that Bristol City will get to the same position.

We’ve been investing in Bristol City for a long time now, we’ve been putting a lot of infrastructure in there.

Bristol rugby does have a tradition of actually being successful, but many moons ago. Bristol City has no tradition of being successful, if we’re being honest with each other.

We’ve had 125 years of snippets, of good times. I want to get into a consistently good time.

We’ve been consistent in the Championship and we flatter to deceive a little bit sometime but I think we’ve been consistently good and we’ve got to take that next step, and that’s this is all about.

That’s what Dean and his team are tasked with, that’s what Mark Ashton and the backroom staff are tasked with – getting the best out of what we’ve got, to make sure that we are competitive and we get that success

thanks...but apart from the financial worlds - which are clearly poles apart - quite how does SL see any similarity between the appointments of Pat Lam and Dean (who?) Holden?

I think the poster 

10 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Pat Lam came in and decided he was going to play a New Zealand style of rugby, he then recruited players that would fit that style of rugby. The English rugby top flight has been a bore fest for years, and other teams just can’t cope with playing against open expansive rugby.

Unfortunately we haven’t employed a football coach with a strategy and plan that would see players signed to fit into how we would play.

The rugby plan has been clear and concise, the football plan more like a car boot sale.

Exactly this.

When LJ was sacked it was a perfect opportunity to go and get a top coach who is highly respected in his field, who commands respect and can help to attract even better players, just like the Rugby Club have done, this helps to increase the profile still further to help propel us and take us to the next level on the pitch with improved performances. 

Off the pitch, with an enhanced media profile leading to improved revenue streams. (Covid aside)

The club are generating multi millions in player transactions and improving the stadia and creating state of the art training facilities.

Everybody could see the potential.

What a perfect opportunity to go and get  . . .  er Dean Holden.

12 hours ago, chinapig said:

By and large you can't compare the two, for the reasons others have given.

There are points of comparison though. For instance, Mark Tainton is actually qualified for his role but Mark Ashton isn't.

Furthermore, the Bears have a philosophy, a plan and an established way of playing. On the football side it gets increasingly hard to see any of these. At best we say one thing then do the opposite.

So there are things to learn from the Bears. I doubt we will learn them though.

Exactly. Good points.

I would also stress that even if you take the money out of the equation, yes we have Big Name players but we have plenty of home grown academy players too, it’s more than that. As you say it’s a philosophy, a belief and the players need to know exactly what is expected of them and because they are respectful and want to succeed they are motivated and give their all.

i can’t say Holden hasn’t got the respect, but I’m certain he isn’t getting the best out of them for one reason or another. It could be that he hadn’t got the right blend of players, it could be lack of experience. He doesn’t seem to have the management skills that Pat Lam has.

Putting Lam aside for a moment. I know he is a top coach and the football equivalent all are managers in the Premiership, but I can’t believe therecarent decent Championship Managers, or managers who could potentially be good out there. Holden might be good, but are two U21 assistants enough help for him? Add to that a controlling Ashton and his hands are not only tied but he is gagged too. 

Im not sure if Holden is at fault for taking the job, but yes the bloke has to work, or more probably the people who talked him into taking it probably with a noose around his neck. He was on a hiding to nothing and getting battered now.

1 hour ago, Gmac said:

But with a top quality Head Coach instead of a complete rookie!

Sorry to seem ungrateful for what he has done for BCFC, he is taking the piss out of us City fans.

I'm not jealous of Bris. I've supported both clubs since early 1950. I'm grateful for what he has done for both clubs but its not necessarily about money but people. And his record in Manager/Head Coach recruitment for City with one or two exceptions, is pretty poor.

I have two Season Tickets, City & Bris, but only one will be renewed for 2021-2022 season. Guess which one!

Archived