IGNORED

Holden and Ashton you funked us in the summer

Bassomylord

By not getting any wide players.....we have ODowda, thats it.....the only proven wide player in our squad and even then his stats are dreadful.

We needed 2 wide men before Eliasson went.....to not replace him was criminal.....we are now stuck with square pegs in round holes AGAIN......FFS Palmer, Massengo etc playing on the wing? What a joke.

Holden you put all your eggs in your 352 basket and now we have nothing....making it up as you go along.

You sign Chris Martin the master of crosses and yet we don't have a singer player in the squad who can cross a football.

Our summer recruitment has been dire, and now we are paying the price....when you need a goal in tight games your wingers can make all the difference.....and all we have in semenyo who is unproven and learning.

Not good enough.

Recruitment hasn’t been great since Cotterill left, IMO, and that doesn’t bode well going into a summer when a lot of players will be OOC.

Semenyo will never be an out-an-out winger, I think very few of them exist in the modern game. 

We were stitched up for sure. If SL and MA had openly said this season was just about surviving as a club due to Covid, we may have been more forgiving. But the appointment was lauded as a new bright beginning with fast attacking football. B*ll*cks. Well and truely conned.

52 minutes ago, marmite said:

We were stitched up for sure. If SL and MA had openly said this season was just about surviving as a club due to Covid, we may have been more forgiving. But the appointment was lauded as a new bright beginning with fast attacking football. B*ll*cks. Well and truely conned.

Stitched up? Really? I'm amazed that people are saying this based on what SL said.  Have people lost the ability to make their own decisions and look at the wider picture, e.g. COVID, lack of income, Dean's appointment? Thats just a few examples that sould have been a clue to people about how our season was going to pan out - i've not even included the impacts of the injury crisis. Did people honestly still believe him and think that we were on for a top 6 spot?  I dont have a problem with him saying what he said - my expectation was firmly set at the start for a mid table finish and I'm happy with that this year (possibly next too if things don't change) and with the squad/coaching set up we have.

Had COVID not existed, Landsdown appointed an experienced, top class manager with promises of funds which enticed ST holders to spend their money AND then he'd gone back on his promises then yeah, I can understand the feeling of being stitched up.  

54 minutes ago, marmite said:

Bang on the money. That - and other blatant lies, bullshit or contradictions - is exactly why I’m fed up with this  regime. 

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

How could he show more ambition?

By employing an experienced successful manager (Manager mind, not coach) who is given total control of all matters relating to the football club and who is beholden (no pun intended) to nobody.

11 minutes ago, Malago said:

By employing an experienced successful manager (Manager mind, not coach) who is given total control of all matters relating to the football club and who is beholden (no pun intended) to nobody.

Or, like Reading and Barnsley, two of the more entertaining sides, the imagination to employ a foreign coach instead of going for more of the same dross.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Further, who was available and able to get their head around the prevailing economic climate and impact on football at this level right now?

Wasn’t that Ashton’s job , as you know he’s being paid serious money, he came up with dean , sadly it’s looking like he’s failed to find the right man . 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Further, who was available and able to get their head around the prevailing economic climate and impact on football at this level right now?

Paul Cook did a pretty good job at a "financially stressed" club for example. He was a candidate but presumably not as good a human as Holden.

But in any event don't most coaches at our level have to deal with the prevailing economic climate? Or are you suggesting we are unique in that respect?

11 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Wasn’t that Ashton’s job , as you know he’s being paid serious money, he came up with dean , sadly it’s looking like he’s failed to find the right man . 

My critique is more of the managers who might have at that stage, been looking at "Business as Usual" in the market- I suspect a few might have had that mindset in summer 2020.

11 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Paul Cook did a pretty good job at a "financially stressed" club for example. He was a candidate but presumably not as good a human as Holden.

But in any event don't most coaches at our level have to deal with the prevailing economic climate? Or are you suggesting we are unique in that respect?

Cook I would have been very happy with- that said Wigan's costs seemed to escalate last season, mooted that they made a £20m loss though I'm only going on the Hong Kong figures- assuming wage bill and amortisation pushed up.

After the administration he galvanised them brilliantly- but actually Wigan were superb from well you can pick different starting points but they rallied really well from maybe early February, or early stages ie early December.

Would Cook or Hughton have accepted financial constraints on recruitment which are at this time necessary? I'm unsure about that. I believe they might have wanted a bigger recruitment budget than we could offer, remember too there was uncertainty over a) Salary cap b) Squad sizes c) How FFP would be reworked.

Talking of Cook and again I rate him highly, it is mooted that he has turned down 6 month deals at both Sheffield Wednesday and Cardiff- bur then in summer 2020 there was doubt as to whether he would get released from his contract at Wigan without compensation being due, being deemed a financial asset or somesuch- how long could we have waited?

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

My critique is more of the managers who might have at that stage, been looking at "Business as Usual" in the market- I suspect a few might have had that mindset in summer 2020.

Cook I would have been very happy with- that said Wigan's costs seemed to escalate last season, mooted that they made a £20m loss though I'm only going on the Hong Kong figures- assuming wage bill and amortisation pushed up.

After the administration he galvanised them brilliantly- but actually Wigan were superb from well you can pick different starting points but they rallied really well from maybe early February, or early stages ie early December.

Would Cook or Hughton have accepted financial constraints on recruitment which are at this time necessary? I query it.

My guess is Cook yes, Hughton no. But that neither of them would have accepted having as little authority as Holden has. You know, the man who told us today that he had no idea if any more players would be coming in as that was out of his hands.

Just now, chinapig said:

My guess is Cook yes, Hughton no. But that neither of them would have accepted having as little authority as Holden has. You know, the man who told us today that he had no idea if any more players would be coming in as that was out of his hands.

That tells you all you need to know, he’s a puppet 

8 minutes ago, chinapig said:

My conspiracy theory on that is we are walking a bit of a tightrope ahead of March- perhaps we're under some sort of soft embargo or require EFL approval for acquisitions etc (along with much of the League), pre-emptive measures for FFP can and do kick in. Would you be vastly surprised?

EFL can do that, require a club to work to a budget- they stopped Reading loaning Riquelme (not that one) I believe. I will have to see the post match comments in full though.

44 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Stitched up? Really? I'm amazed that people are saying this based on what SL said.  Have people lost the ability to make their own decisions and look at the wider picture, e.g. COVID, lack of income, Dean's appointment? Thats just a few examples that sould have been a clue to people about how our season was going to pan out - i've not even included the impacts of the injury crisis. Did people honestly still believe him and think that we were on for a top 6 spot?  I dont have a problem with him saying what he said - my expectation was firmly set at the start for a mid table finish and I'm happy with that this year (possibly next too if things don't change) and with the squad/coaching set up we have.

Had COVID not existed, Landsdown appointed an experienced, top class manager with promises of funds which enticed ST holders to spend their money AND then he'd gone back on his promises then yeah, I can understand the feeling of being stitched up.  

Sorry but you are argueing against your own point here. You admit that you knew what he was saying was bullshit, but you don't think he was trying to con us. If we all knew the truth beforehand, then why did they try to spin the promise of something different to us. all it needed was a bit of honesty from the club., not misleading spin.

Archived