IGNORED

We Need To Talk About Tyreeq

Silvio Dante

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

It is interesting that Bakinson and Nagy are rotated and Vyner is the one that keeps his place.

I think Bakinson does look class at times. But was not so good today when he came on and struggled midweek.

Nagy was very good today. Williams back should be a big boost. We have good players, but Holden needs to get the right blend to make it work

Jon, we’ve been agreeing all week and then you go and spoil it! ???

Nagy was awful today imho.  Lost runners, dangled legs, didn’t even go for tackles, ran around looking lost.  I thought it was one of his worst displays in a City shirt.  Looked completely out of his depth on this performance.  Of course this was a one off, but he looks lost.  Like Fam, to me, he looked like a player not wanting to get injured and scupper a move.  Admittedly that could be crap....just a heartless performance imho.  He’s better than what he showed today.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Jon, we’ve been agreeing all week and then you go and spoil it! ???

Nagy was awful today imho.  Lost runners, dangled legs, didn’t even go for tackles, ran around looking lost.  I thought it was one of his worst displays in a City shirt.  Looked completely out of his depth on this performance.  Of course this was a one off, but he looks lost.  Like Fam, to me, he looked like a player not wanting to get injured and scupper a move.  Admittedly that could be crap....just a heartless performance imho.  He’s better than what he showed today.

Yep.

Have to say that is the worst I've seen Nagy play.

Did nothing, went through the motions.

He wasn't alone mind.

Come to think of it, the only positive from that game was we only lost 1-0 with all the sub-par performances and the abysmal team performance. Doesn't say a lot for Derby..

I think the broader midfield point is this:

Midfield wise, today, we set up with one CM (Palmer) on the left, one CF (Semenyo) on the right, one CB (Vyner) in the middle and Nagy also in the centre.

After the first sub, we moved to having two CM (Ty and Adam) but a different forward (Wells) on the left

We then make the next subs. Edwards on the left, Massengo on the right.

So, our “square pegs, square holes” happened in the last 10 minutes - with 3 youngsters each with <30 games at this level (and even then it was just 3/4). For the rest of the game, in midfield, at best we played with 50% of players in their optimum position.

Theres a lesson there somewhere. However, I have no faith that management learn it!

Bakinson looks , in summary, timid in my opinion. An odd word perhaps, but when I see him play that’s the word that springs to mind. One of the positives overall is his willingness to play one touch passes (and forward) but movement and general aggression in the middle need significant improvement. Not sure if the right coaching can bring that forward or there’s a bit of a character trait there , time will tell and he’s got some time of course 

11 hours ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Vyner semanyo bakinson are the problem. None of good enough to start

Semenyo?

He was the only player who looked like doing something yesterday. Yes the end product wasn’t up to much some of the time but he certainly deserves to start more than wells on current form

I think the only answer to this type of player is a performance based contract. Play well you earn well, play rubbish you get the basic.

We have to accept that many players today are happy to have a kick about with their mates Monday to Friday then sit on the bench or the stands so long as the money comes in.

Contract have to reflect this. I can hear many OTIB contributors thinking "nobody would sign such a contract" For established players I would agree but I cannot imagine Bakinson having 20 contracts on the table.

If we are talking about "our identity" what about a squad who want to play and give 100% and win because if they don't they earn the average wage. Providing the potential earnings for a well performing player are high enough I think you would attract the right sort of youngsters.

On 31/01/2021 at 10:32, JBFC II said:

Semenyo?

He was the only player who looked like doing something yesterday. Yes the end product wasn’t up to much some of the time but he certainly deserves to start more than wells on current form

Antoine is currently 14th in the division for assists (if you rank by minutes when players are tied, 13-20 have 4 each), frankly I think we need to start looking at him as a wide player who could play upfront rather than a forward whose playing wide.

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Antoine is currently 14th in the division for assists (if you rank by minutes when players are tied, 13-20 have 4 each), frankly I think we need to start looking at him as a wide player who could play upfront rather than a forward whose playing wide.

I’d agree. On the right he’s caused havoc whenever I’ve seen him, his direct running is hard for full backs to deal with. 

Long term though, I still see his future up front, and with Fam leaving and Martin and Wells in their 30s I really think he has a future as our number 9

2 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I think the only answer to this type of player is a performance based contract. Play well you earn well, play rubbish you get the basic.

We have to accept that many players today are happy to have a kick about with their mates Monday to Friday then sit on the bench or the stands so long as the money comes in.

Contract have to reflect this. I can hear many OTIB contributors thinking "nobody would sign such a contract" For established players I would agree but I cannot imagine Bakinson having 20 contracts on the table.

If we are talking about "our identity" what about a squad who want to play and give 100% and win because if they don't they earn the average wage. Providing the potential earnings for a well performing player are high enough I think you would attract the right sort of youngsters.

Players already receive basic and performance related pay. 

An answer is developing and recruiting players who display the keystone behaviours you want. Those behaviours create a culture within a team. The 100% hardwork culture of Liverpool and Leeds was developed and recruited by prioritising team need. The culture runs through the squad e.g. James Milner is a super fit 100% squad player who can do the yards the team needs when called upon. 

Archived