IGNORED

The squad is not that good for promotion

formerly known as ivan

A Gamble by Mr SL and Mr MA that has drastically back fired on them. It was the cheap option as per usual and nobody can lie to us and tell us otherwise.

DH was part of the previous season's dross that we were being served up.  The dross is getting worse by the week - and DH is not an experienced Manager that will be able to fix it.

DH and also a lot of folk pinning their hopes on Joe Williams - it will take a lot more than him to try and sort this mess out.

The only person that can sort this out is SL. He needs to admit that the recruitment of DH was a gamble that it didn't pay off and go and get someone who can try and turn this round. If DH is still Manager at the start of next season SL will feel the pinch on his pockets. Lets be honest, who would renew their Season Ticket with the thought of watching this tripe every week..!!!!

7 minutes ago, richyy66 said:

A Gamble by Mr SL and Mr MA that has drastically back fired on them. It was the cheap option as per usual and nobody can lie to us and tell us otherwise.

DH was part of the previous season's dross that we were being served up.  The dross is getting worse by the week - and DH is not an experienced Manager that will be able to fix it.

DH and also a lot of folk pinning their hopes on Joe Williams - it will take a lot more than him to try and sort this mess out.

The only person that can sort this out is SL. He needs to admit that the recruitment of DH was a gamble that it didn't pay off and go and get someone who can try and turn this round. If DH is still Manager at the start of next season SL will feel the pinch on his pockets. Lets be honest, who would renew their Season Ticket with the thought of watching this tripe every week..!!!!

Agree with much of this, I think SL put the recruitment down to Ashton, SL has a clear view of how he wants the club to run and be financially stable so any appointment would have to fit within the club's operating model, which as much as some may not like it makes sense.

I do wonder how much of this is Ashton wanting someone he can control or is not going to undermine him, SL alluded to an exciting appointment then 6 weeks later we end up with DH. So if during the interview process the other more high profile managers vision of how to move forward is not quite aligned, but in walks DH, with inside knowledge of how the club wants to move forward and is able to put forward his lovely sugar coated powerpoint vision with a few nice extras, plus he is already on the books and knows the players, you can see how it could have happened.

But now the kid who has bullshitted his way through the interview process has been found out, with players coming back from injury and team that should be able to perform, we look hopelessly devout of any tactics or plan and DH is out of his depth. (shame as he is a very nice man)

To put off not getting rid of DH and hoping things improve is just storing the problem for another day.

2 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Is; "its the engine driver" the bit left out?

I think it shows the squad strength with the amount of points we have on the board under these coaches. Personally think there are only 4-5 squads I would fancy over ours but even then that is because we play with no intensity whatsoever. I don’t care about possession or even being an attacking side. When city were at their best a few years ago we had a strong press and team ethic. I’d like to see that again but we have went away from that for whatever reason. We have/had the squad for it

5 hours ago, Pezo said:

Nagy - top championship/low premier league. 

I don't see it. Midtable championship at best for me.

I think your table shows the problem though, almost always our club has been really unbalanced when in this league, I remember back to fonts and nyatanga as defence while we were buying Baldock and Pitman for up front along with a load of other quality - and not being able to provid service (groundhog day), at least this time we have some decent defenders to stop us from getting relegated.

Nagy - unsuitable for Championship (but decent enough player technically) is how I’d judge him.  Even his good games aren’t influential enough generally.

5 hours ago, mozo said:

To be fair I think the squad are highly motivated. We tend to work our arses off.

Whether other metrics such as team selection, tactics and training ground stuff is good enough is up for debate!

We sometimes look to be working hard because we didn’t work hard enough in the first place.

I can huff and puff all day closing down and looking like I’m working really hard....or I could’ve done the hard yards and got close in the first place.  That’s why I use the term passive and reactionary a lot.  It’s why we look pressured on the ball and our opponents look to have all the time in the world...especially the better teams.

12 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Really? Please feel free to point out which World Cup you think England would have won based on having the best squad...

Not what I think. But it’s what the ‘experts’ working in the media told us plenty of times through the late 90s and 00s. From memory we were also the pre tournament favourites for Euro 88. 

2 minutes ago, sludge said:

Not what I think. But it’s what the ‘experts’ working in the media told us plenty of times through the late 90s and 00s. From memory we were also the pre tournament favourites for Euro 88. 

Also think it was generally recognised that on paper our squad in Mexico 70 was better than the 66 squad. 

56 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

98 and 2002 we weren’t too far away when it came to squads and quality

We were very far away, unless you believed the media hype

43 minutes ago, sludge said:

Fair point in the experts/media

Archived