IGNORED

Nagy

Super

I think there is a real need to take two or three of our midfielders, show trust in them and develop them as a combination whilst developing other midfielders to be cover for injury or loss of form who are ready to step seamlessly into their place as needed.

I like Nagy and I'd like him to be one of those midfielders but I'd also not mind if Holden went for other midfielders instead. But, whichever way, I think all of our midfielders - Nagy included - struggle from a lack of consistency in playing style and system. 

14 minutes ago, 054123 said:

The more I think about it, the more it highlights the fundamental failure of the club and its differences to say, Brentford.

Nagy, HNM are both talented footballers but just aren’t used correctly. 

If we have a set system or pattern of play, we should recruit based solely on satisfying that plan. There’s little sense in recruiting talented players who can’t play in our system.

I think he’s easily top end championship level, but that doesn’t necessarily mean we get that level out of him, due to what we ask of him

Agreed. Keep Nagy and Massengo in midfield and add Williams plus O'Dowda and Semenyo and you have a decent midfield. All of them have to be told to get forward at every opportunity and try for goal. But we need Wells upfront with a better partner than Diedhiou who needs to move on at the end of the season. 

1 minute ago, WECANDO said:

Agreed. Keep Nagy and Massengo in midfield and add Williams plus O'Dowda and Semenyo and you have a decent midfield. All of them have to be told to get forward at every opportunity and try for goal. But we need Wells upfront with a better partner than Diedhiou who needs to move on at the end of the season. 

Forgot to try to fit Lansbury in there somewhere.

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Best midfielder on our books by a mile.

HNM did OK last night but usually if Nagy is on form so are we. Sure as hell none of the rest will ever win the ball back.

Though interesting that Nagy has started 17 games for us this season and we've lost 9 of them.  Bakinson has started 12 and we've only lost 4 of them.

While I'm at it with the stats, we have not won a match that Nakhi Wells didn't start all season.

Massive potential, but as yet not fully realised I'd say.  His work rate is first class, his off the ball play gives us structure and greater solidity and his constant harrying gets mistakes out of opposing teams and helps us nick the ball back.  He shows great glimpses of quality on the ball and while most of his passes are simple, they can be effective at moving us forward and finding a player in space, though he does sometimes tend too much to play it straight back to the passer.  He could be our midfield metronome but for me this is where we need more from him - too often he hides rather than making himself available for the pass.  I would love to see him play with more confidence and get more involved with the ball because he has enough ability to excel in that role and really help us get more control which is where we are sadly lacking.  I agree with other posts that he does need better players around him, especially making those runs into space where too many at the moment are hiding.  I also think he needs better coaching and to be played in a system that doesn't require him to be covering gaps across the entire midlfield and having to run a few marathons each game. 

We always look better with him in the team though which is the key point for me and for that reason I think the OP here needs to urgently get down the opticians.       

22 hours ago, WECANDO said:

Agreed. The weak links were Diedhiou and Mariappa. One lazy, slow and lost and the other out of position.

I felt sorry for Mariappa to be honest. Yes, he was out of position and not having a great game and he also had to play behind a kid on debut so would have been spending as much time making sure Edwards was doing the right thing as concentrating on his own game. He had to take one for the team on Tuesday and, good pro that he is, that is exactly what he did. I would never bag a player in those circumstances.

18 hours ago, SouthS22 said:

I also think he needs better coaching and to be played in a system that doesn't require him to be covering gaps across the entire midlfield and having to run a few marathons each game. 

It’s the coaching and set up at the club which is letting us down at present.

That’s not a slight on Dean Holden, I think the club and their recruitment have met us down and I just think Dean is experienced enough yet to take us forward.

Archived