IGNORED

Hull City - similarities

Sir Geoff

What a depressing thread.

8 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Not sure I get the simularity in situations. 

Hull capitulated after loosing their 2 best players. 

We've been without many of our players an some are beginning to return. 

Time will tell and I think our upcoming fixtures will see the season slip away, but I can't see us being in any trouble of relegation, in any way shape or form. ?

Exactly this, I'd say it's more opposites than similarities.

We started well with a fully fit squad and plan A (results wise at least if not performance)

We've lost what 15 players? We've just had our best CB return (though needs to get up to standard pretty quick) our supposedly hot new signing in midfield has just made his first appearence and a highly experienced Lansbury.

Hull lost their two best players, ours are starting to return.

Too much doom and gloom here. We're certainly not top 2 contenders and probably not good enough for top 6 either but we aren't going down. Wycombe are gone IMO, Derby might turn things around now with Rooney but both they are Birmingham look very poor. Sheff Wed still have a big ask. Rotherham, Coventry, Forest and Luton are all worse than us this season even if some have picked up a bit of form.

Just can't see it. We'll pick up enough scrappy wins the way we're playing to not even get sucked in, but if the returning players find form it wont even be a concern.

I’m not saying we’re going down at all; but the excuse rolled out time and again (I used to do it myself) this season that we’ve got “returning players”...and....”when...X/Y/Z....is back” is frankly ridiculous now. It’s well past that point - feels like people will still be saying it next season.

Talking of form, if the other trend at the club continues, by the end of the season, we will have more likely lost more key players to injury than will have returned. Lose Fam, Kalas or Mawson?

Couple with that the chance that it’s unlikely we’ll see either of Lansbury or Williams (or any of the others if they return) really finding form consistently or even being able to play every one of the only 18 games left this season.

Our ‘strongest’ looking team of the season vs. Cardiff was almost as bad as it’s been. How long will it take that team to improve? Will they under current circumstances? As I say, I’m not talking relegation, but will 14th or 15th this season be acceptable?

5 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

It’s more next season I’m worried about if nothing changes. It’s got all the hallmarks of the slide we had after millen/mciines 

That's how I see it, too. However, if we do get sucked into it this year, looking at the games against the likes of Rotherham, Luton, Birmingham, Derby, I'm not sure the players have enough fight. 

22 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

It’s more next season I’m worried about if nothing changes. It’s got all the hallmarks of the slide we had after millen/mciines 

Someone on twitter yesterday was suggesting contract discussions on hold (and not gonna happen) because it’s preparing a big clear out for a new head-coach.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

I’m not saying we’re going down at all; but the excuse rolled out time and again (I used to do it myself) this season that we’ve got “returning players”...and....”when...X/Y/Z....is back” is frankly ridiculous now. It’s well past that point - feels like people will still be saying it next season.

Talking of form, if the other trend at the club continues, by the end of the season, we will have more likely lost more key players to injury than will have returned. Lose Fam, Kalas or Mawson?

Couple with that the chance that it’s unlikely we’ll see either of Lansbury or Williams (or any of the others if they return) really finding form consistently or even being able to play every one of the only 18 games left this season.

Our ‘strongest’ looking team of the season vs. Cardiff was almost as bad as it’s been. How long will it take that team to improve? Will they under current circumstances? As I say, I’m not talking relegation, but will 14th or 15th this season be acceptable?

Yes, it is always assumed that returning players and a "fully fit squad" to choose from will provide a nice selection "headache" for a coach. Yet we know that LJ struggled when he had too many options and somehow did surprisingly well with a number of players injured.

Every situation provides a challenge for a coach/manager, and a "fully fit squad" means leaving some on the bench who might take umbrage, or not thrive with only minutes coming on as a sub.

We haven't yet seen enough from Deano to know how he will cope with multiple choices and the temptation to "tombola."

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Someone on twitter yesterday was suggesting contract discussions on hold (and not gonna happen) because it’s preparing a big clear out for a new head-coach.

It’s a nice thought, but why wouldn’t we have the head coach in already so they could take a look at the players? 

Or are we hoping Eddie Howe or someone told us he’d join but wanted a year off?

Optimistic IMO. 

1 hour ago, Robin101 said:

It’s a nice thought, but why wouldn’t we have the head coach in already so they could take a look at the players? 

Or are we hoping Eddie Howe or someone told us he’d join but wanted a year off?

Optimistic IMO. 

Fair challenge.  I don’t know, just putting what someone else speculated.

Archived