IGNORED

£99 for a Season Ticket Renewal?

Mr Popodopolous

Not us, no- but Swansea!

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/update-season-tickets-2021-22-season

Now I fully appreciate that we didn't get Parachute Payments so this gives them an £80-90m advantage but should clubs be looking at Price cuts of some description? In these uncertain times.

Have until the end of February to renew at these prices.

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/season-ticket-renewal-reminder-one-month-go

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not us, no- but Swansea!

Now I fully appreciate that we didn't get Parachute Payments so this gives them an £80-90m advantage but should clubs be looking at Price cuts of some description? In these uncertain times.

Our prices will be frozen imo. If are incredibly stupid enough to put them up then that really might be the straw that breaks the camel's back for many.

If they don't get top 2, the playoffs is a lottery- think Brentford are a better side than Swansea but that's no guarantee of course.

One of the links suggests 3,700 have renewed to date.

Decent- well it's alright football but is it free flowing? Seems to me that they are quite clinical or have become it in recent times. Playing the conditions is smart of course- probably reasonable football, mix of silk and steel.

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Difference is they play decent football and good very likely be back in the Prem

They are in a very different place to us and ran with a very different mindset to us. They are being creative with their parachute money and are getting people in the ground who they hope will stump up full whack the following season. For them it's "how can we increase/guarantee interest and maximise the number of fans in the ground?", with us it's "how can we maximise our income from the paying customer?". All the same end game in effect but they can do it in a better way. Good on them too.

Parachute Payments are of course a big differential between the two clubs.

Not saying we could pull it down to £99 but a bit maybe? Read today that GDP might have fallen as much as 10% in 2020- the biggest fall in a century, and unemployment forecasts seem to be in the 7.5-9% range- is football likely to be immune? Aspects of the Industry could certainly do with a correction...

I think there may be some misreading here (and some good advertising for Swansea!)

Looking at it, the prices are applicable If the ST holder kept their money in the club. These ST holders received streaming codes for the games. (So in effect got free streaming in return for the ST money)

It also says if ST holders took monthly refunds, they can still get the renewal price but must contact the ticket office. Assumedly this means they must repay the refund amount for this year and then get the renewal price.

I might be reading it wrong, but in effect it’s £99 only if you got no refund  this year (and got free streaming). Based on 23 home games, assuming say 18 non Sky home games, it means that a ST holder watching every home game for us this year has paid £180 but pays full ST price next year. Whereas with Swansea, they paid full ST price this year and £99 next year.

Again, might be reading wrong but it doesn’t seem as simple as we’ve presented here

Yes, it's for existing Season Ticket holders- to renew.

By end of February- happy to read articles again and amend where necessary.

The season ticket renewal window for the 2021-22 campaign will open today (Tuesday, December 1) initially only for current season ticket holders who either took the option for streaming and kept revenue in the club, as well season ticket holders who have opted for monthly refunds.

Supporters who have initially selected the monthly refund plan, but are yet to withdraw monies from their ticketing account balance via the account cashback facility, may request to opt out of the monthly refund option

Existing supporters who have kept money in during the clubs hour of need will now receive a reward in terms of a much reduced ticket renewal if done by end of February 2021 basically.

Rights to refund, etc- uncertain economic climate, lots of job losses- uncertainty. Only natural.

What will be interesting is to see how many clubs follow suit.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes, it's for existing Season Ticket holders- to renew.

By end of February- happy to read articles again and amend where necessary.

Existing supporters who have kept money in during the clubs hour of need will now receive a reward in terms of a much reduced ticket renewal if done by end of February 2021 basically.

I fully respect rights to refund, etc- uncertain economic climate, lots of job losses- uncertainty. Fully respect that stance too.

I know it wasn’t your intent, but it could easily have been misread and oversimplified. People were asking why we couldn’t do this/saying we were unlikely to, whereas in effect we have already. 

To complete the analogy, if the thread title had said “Season Tickets for £180” you’d see comments saying “Well done City”, and if you had a title saying “£450 for Streaming” you’d have people being rightly upset (Which is what Swansea have done if you want this price)

All in the marketing innit?

46 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not us, no- but Swansea!

Nor do Swansea if they don't go up. Relegated in 17/18 so will be back on championship finances moving forward. They're lucky Ayew's contract will be up....

18 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Nor do Swansea if they don't go up. Relegated in 17/18 so will be back on championship finances moving forward. They're lucky Ayew's contract will be up....

Trying to avoid a finance thread (for once ;) ) but yes this is the final year of their Parachute money.

Will be interesting to see if it's been ploughed back into wages or saved to some extent- wages more than halving on relegation was a good start, I think they would be one of the better clubs with respect to using Parachute Payments for their intended purpose. Maybe putting some away for cash reserves, or investing in financial instruments to provide the club with Interest, this could've happened.

If they've used it wisely, there will be the legacy effect of that headroom- both in PL and potentially in cash terms.

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

The Mark Ashton School of Economics says 12K at an average of £300 is better than 15K at £99!! The attitude will be "they'll come back".

I realise that MA is the designated punchbag at the moment, but seems a little unfair to suggest that he'd be alone in that. I'd have thought almost anyone's 'school of economics' would say that!

I can see both arguments: the problem is that many of those who argue the £15K at £99 case will be the same people who grumble when we aren't competing with other Championship clubs for big name/big money signings. 

45 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I realise that MA is the designated punchbag at the moment, but seems a little unfair to suggest that he'd be alone in that. I'd have thought almost anyone's 'school of economics' would say that!

I can see both arguments: the problem is that many of those who argue the £15K at £99 case will be the same people who grumble when we aren't competing with other Championship clubs for big name/big money signings. 

Agreed, Swansea are in a different position to us. Makes you wonder what we will do to shift tickets though given the current dissatisfaction. I think the club would be well advised not to increase prices right now.

51 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

You must remember, we are just punters to Ashton. Nothing else.

He even calls us “Bristol “ FFS.

I think you'll find that is football everywhere now. It's a business for every club and we are all customers/punters.  This isn't unique to Bristol City or another reason to have a pop.

Swansea are adjusting their business operating model to attract new punters within the limits their finances allow (due to parachute payments). We can't compete with that. Its a sensible strategy for them to adopt to protect their market in the COVID climate.

Archived