IGNORED

Massengo, Semenyo, Bakinson

Nugget

50 minutes ago, Red7 said:

You may have seen nothing from him, but I've seen plenty from him that indicates he could be an exceptional player in this country: tactical awareness, ball control, game reading, boundless energy. As it is, I think he's been pretty good for us this season, although the bar has been set pretty low by some of his team-mates.

I’m yet to be convinced....but then again I’m waiting for him to play in a team that is set up properly.

Apart from the early cup games, he didn’t play until Huddersfield away.  I thought he had a good game against Cardiff, but I’m not seeing anything like the contribution I expect.  Some of that is how deep we play.

Last night he was so keen to get rid of the ball, it was like a hot potato, and he put others under pressure despite getting a “1” in his pass and pass completion stats.

Of late I’ve seen him all to often 2 or 3 yards away from being able to engage his man and then passed around, meaning he’s out of position, or resulting to timid fouls that frustrate the hell out of me.

But I’ll wait until I see him in a proper team set-up.....I really do worry about his suitability for the Champ.

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m yet to be convinced....but then again I’m waiting for him to play in a team that is set up properly.

Apart from the early cup games, he didn’t play until Huddersfield away.  I thought he had a good game against Cardiff, but I’m not seeing anything like the contribution I expect.  Some of that is how deep we play.

Last night he was so keen to get rid of the ball, it was like a hot potato, and he put others under pressure despite getting a “1” in his pass and pass completion stats.

Of late I’ve seen him all to often 2 or 3 yards away from being able to engage his man and then passed around, meaning he’s out of position, or resulting to timid fouls that frustrate the hell out of me.

But I’ll wait until I see him in a proper team set-up.....I really do worry about his suitability for the Champ.

Yes, the Championship may prove to be a problem for him. But you never know...if we get a master tactician in next who can find a good midfield blend.
He's pretty much looked the business in the few games I've seen him play for Hungary, though.

12 minutes ago, Red7 said:

Yes, the Championship may prove to be a problem for him. But you never know...if we get a master tactician in next who can find a good midfield blend.
He's pretty much looked the business in the few games I've seen him play for Hungary, though.

Yep, we’d have to play a more “technical brand” of football.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, we’d have to play a more “technical brand” of football.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves ,could we just concentrate for the time being on passing the ball to team mates further up the pitch and once in a while having a shot.

Rome wasn't built in a day etc

All 3 have talent but haven’t shown it consistently.

This could be due to tactics or confidence.

Semenyo is a mystery to me, seems to do lots of good stuff but still hasn’t scored a league goal for us. Has a couple of assists in the league but for a forward he has to start scoring. If it was any other forward of ours they would be slated for the amount of final product that he’s produced for us.

2 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

All 3 have talent but haven’t shown it consistently.

This could be due to tactics or confidence.

Semenyo is a mystery to me, seems to do lots of good stuff but still hasn’t scored a league goal for us. Has a couple of assists in the league but for a forward he has to start scoring. If it was any other forward of ours they would be slated for the amount of final product that he’s produced for us.

Not just for us. Plying his trade as a forward in the Championship and has 3 league goals in 71 appearances.

At 21 can no longer be described as a “breakthrough prospect”.

So much potential and needs to start converting it.

Hopefully the new man “or men” can unlock it.

4 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

At 21 can no longer be described as a “breakthrough prospect”.

At one point, we would have been happy to flog Reid for £350k. LJ changed his role, and he started banging in goals. 

What age was he? 

Players like Vardy and Drogba both did nothing until their mid 20s.

Just now, SecretSam said:

At one point, we would have been happy to flog Reid for £350k. LJ changed his role, and he started banging in goals. 

What age was he? 

Ok, so by that train of thought, what role do we change AS to, and what do we do with him for the next 4 years until he reaches his (peak) mid-twenties?

1 minute ago, TomThumb84 said:

Ok, so by that train of thought, what role do we change AS to, and what do we do with him for the next 4 years until he reaches his (peak) mid-twenties?

That's not what I said. I was suggesting you can't write him off yet. It's his first season at this level.

Let’s be honest, we have some international players and some decent championship players and a few talented less experienced players. All the ingredients are there but with Deano in charge all we got was an unpalatable hotch-potch as he kept fiddling with the recipe hoping to find something that worked. A decent manager, just like a good chef, should now how to bring things together so that you get a harmonious blend of flavours that compliment each other such that the final dish is far more than just the sum of its component parts. And that’s what you should expect from an experienced professional. However we had a sous-chef who had never run the kitchen before and look where it got us.

And so to follow this analogy to its apogee, perhaps Paul Cook is the man for us after all!

4 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

What age was he? 

I disloyally listened to “3 Peeps in a podcast” this morning, as they had an interview with Tinnion.  Well worth a listen, about 45 mins long, he was on his way to Gillingham to check out Cundy and Morton.

He talked about Bobby Reid, and as I’ve previously stated, Bobby played up top in the academy teams too, but club saw him as a midfielder too.

4 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

That's not what I said. I was suggesting you can't write him off yet. It's his first season at this level.

No-one is writing him off and I like him a lot, has all the attributes, however a return of 0 league goals in 43 league games for us by the age of 21 suggests something needs to change in him.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I disloyally listened to “3 Peeps in a podcast” this morning, as they had an interview with Tinnion.  Well worth a listen, about 45 mins long, he was on his way to Gillingham to check out Cundy and Morton.

He talked about Bobby Reid, and as I’ve previously stated, Bobby played up top in the academy teams too, but club saw him as a midfielder too.

I've recently been giving them a go but not this episode, presume the Tinnion chat was pre-sacking?

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I disloyally listened to “3 Peeps in a podcast”... talked about Bobby Reid, and as I’ve previously stated, Bobby played up top in the academy teams too, but club saw him as a midfielder too.

Didn't know that... I thought it was pure genius by LJ!!!

15 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

No-one is writing him off and I like him a lot, has all the attributes, however a return of 0 league goals in 43 league games for us by the age of 21 suggests something needs to change in him.

Fairy nuff, he does need to be coached well to add end product.

22 hours ago, mozo said:

He kept underhitting passes yesterday which most of them did to be fair.

Re this thread, I think anyone that writes off Bakinson, Massengo and/or Semenyo is being rash. They’re not the finished product but have all shown an aptitude in what is a seriously tough league to shine in. Reid and Bryan went through this inconsistent stage too. It takes time.

Semenyo doesn't look like a natural goal scorer so I wouldn't have him as a striker, I think he could be a good right winger/attacking midfielder with the right training but as a striker he just doesn't have the instinct or composure and no amount of training will solve that 

On 17/02/2021 at 08:19, JonDolman said:

Not sure if Massengo still needs a loan. A fantastic prospect, but I think a full season away in league one would help him massively. But who knows, maybe a new manager will see him as more important than what Holden did. Maybe he gets moved further forward behind a striker or something like he does for France.

Bakinson, well why isn't he starting. Seems like every time Holden brought him on recently he improved us. So comfortable on the ball, adds a bit of height to what is not the tallest of sides. Just looks class to me.

Semenyo not starting is ridiculous. How on earth could Holden go with Diedhiou over him. Crazy imo

Any of those players would tear up league one, all are championship standard players, they just need minutes on the pitch. We've got nothing to play for other than not going down, play them.

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, it was a fantastic listen.

Just had it on - it’s hard not to love Tinnion isn’t it?! So much passion, and success to prove his good work.

Maybe I’m just a bit giddy now, but is there a shout for him becoming a future DoF? At 52 he’s got experience of coaching, loans, scouting and now a broader pathway remit. If he was able to work on The financial and negotiation aspect, wouldn’t he be a good fit?

Regards the young players, sorry to contradict you Dave but he describes Towler as having played primarily as a left back and LWB, and also describes Semenyo as a powerful striker (also not my view).

Cundy the new Aden Flint too mind! Sounds fun.

53 minutes ago, mozo said:

Just had it on - it’s hard not to love Tinnion isn’t it?! So much passion, and success to prove his good work.

Maybe I’m just a bit giddy now, but is there a shout for him becoming a future DoF? At 52 he’s got experience of coaching, loans, scouting and now a broader pathway remit. If he was able to work on The financial and negotiation aspect, wouldn’t he be a good fit?

Regards the young players, sorry to contradict you Dave but he describes Towler as having played primarily as a left back and LWB, and also describes Semenyo as a powerful striker (also not my view).

Cundy the new Aden Flint too mind! Sounds fun.

Job titles are just, titles.  Assuming you don’t have those finance and negotiation skills, then buy them in....or in our case, that’s where MA comes into his own.  I suggested Tinnion in a more 1st team focussed recruitment position in the summer when it looked like Dean was becoming favourite.  He can bring in an assistant to help him do the Academy loans.  Tins responsible for working with head-coach on playing ethos / system and recruit in adherence to that.

1 hour ago, KegCity said:

Any of those players would tear up league one, all are championship standard players, they just need minutes on the pitch. We've got nothing to play for other than not going down, play them.

Absolutely.  The rest of the season is actually vitally important for their growth more in terms of dealing with setbacks than anything.  If they are part of a recovery and solid finish to the season they will have that in their experience at this level which is massive.  They are in the progressive category and the quicker they become proven the better.

14 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Don’t suppose you have a link? I’m probably being really thick but can’t seem to find it anywhere 

t

If you’ve got an iPhone you can just search for 3 Peaps in a Podcast on the Podcast app, or in android issue Castbox or similar. 

21 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Don't you think, though, that our players generally need to take a bit more responsibility for being able to receive and handle the ball in tight areas? It's not like he's constantly dishing out hospital passes to our centre-halves, it's generally just offloading the ball in the middle of the pitch for give-and-goes. That may look like he's putting people under pressure... but do we really want to turn into a percentages team?

Put it this way - if he was surrounded by better players in that area of the pitch, do you think it'd be as much of a problem?

What concerns me more is probably how robust he is. The number of 50/50s he loses for a player playing the role he is - essentially a combative central player with a focus on protecting the defence - always hugely stands out to me. And it's not like he pulls out of tackles either. Joe Williams, for example, is just much firmer in the challenge.

Personally, I like Nagy the footballer, a pass-and-move player comfortable to receive the ball anywhere on the pitch, I just don't know if we're the right fit for each other.

The next managerial appointment is definitely a huge one for him on a personal note, I think.

Not sure if Massengo still needs a loan. A fantastic prospect, but I think a full season away in league one would help him massively. But who knows, maybe a new manager will see him as more important than what Holden did. Maybe he gets moved further forward behind a striker or something like he does for France.

Bakinson, well why isn't he starting. Seems like every time Holden brought him on recently he improved us. So comfortable on the ball, adds a bit of height to what is not the tallest of sides. Just looks class to me.

Semenyo not starting is ridiculous. How on earth could Holden go with Diedhiou over him. Crazy imo

Massengo need a good run in the team in a favoured position rather than a holding MF role. Bakinson can do that

Still wonder if League One is the best bet, or maybe a lower/lower middle Championship club- wondered in the past if Massengo would be best loaned to France or Germany, Bundesliga 2 is the most similar 2nd tier to ours IMO.

Archived