IGNORED

No Keeper On The Bench

GrahamC

I'll say it now so I won't be accused of being wise after the event, but I reckon this will cost us dear some time soon.

We rely far too much on Steve Phillips amazing availability record but the law of averages dictates that he's going to pick up an injury during a game and have to come off or get sent off for handling outside his area at some time.

Surely 4 outfield subs should be enough? one defender, one midfielder and two strikers seems pretty sensible to me.

We even have the likes of Clayton Fortune in our squad who could switch between defence and midfield if Tinns persists in having three front men on the bench, I know what I'd rather chose between Clayton being asked to fill in in midfield or an outfield player going in goal for 70 minutes.

As Brian Tinnion has already said that in his time at Ashton Gate (A whole 11 years) only twice has a outfield player had to go in goal.

So when we are losing isn't best to have other attacking options that can change the game or is best to have a goalkeeper on the bench?

I know which I'd prefer...

I agree, the strategy would make a bit more sense if you were able to use all five subs on the bench then i could see that potentially having a keeper there might seem a waste.

Basically I cant see us winning any game just becuase we have an extra outfielder option on the bench - but i can see us losing a game with not having a goalkeeper.

As Brian Tinnion has already said that in his time at Ashton Gate (A whole 11 years) only twice has a outfield player had to go in goal.

So when we are losing isn't best to have other attacking options that can change the game or is best to have a goalkeeper on the bench?

I know which I'd prefer...

One of the reasons an outfield player has only been in goal twice in the last eleven years is because our sub goalie has come on instead!!!

I recall Steve Phillips replacing Mike Stowell at Huddersfield and having a blinder, Tony Malessa replacing Steve at home to Swindon and Phil Kite (boo!) replacing Keith Welch at Peterborough.

I think that makes it more likely to happen on average every other season rather than twice in eleven years.

Guest Swiss Baloney

Been here done this thread, and I think the Tinman is still right........... if Steve get's hurt so what put in an outfield player if he's injured in training then play another Gollie.

Win Win tbh.

If Steve gets injured we're shafted whatever, unless this Davis lad turns out to be decent.

We might lose one game all season due to not having a keeper on the bench, but we might well win a whole lot more due to having more attacking options.

Archived