IGNORED

USA untapped

Mr Yoda

21 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Stern John played a lot of football in the US and came from Trinidad. Largely irrelevant... as was his career with us!! 

Trinidads probably the furthest away from America than any Caribbean country!

On 26/03/2021 at 12:59, Carey 6 said:

Don't you have to be pretty well off in the USA in order to be able to play 'Soccer'

Not certain but perhaps why they struggle is because so much talent is missed out on because they can't afford to play.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jun/01/us-soccer-diversity-problem-world-football - Article from 2016

I don’t think that is true. Pitches are plentiful and its basically boots, shin pads and a ball. Think you’d be surprised how many Americans grow up playing the sport. It is just usually a loss of interest as they get more familiar with the main sports there. Apparently the MLS has pumped loads of money into developing youth and this is why there are so many in Europe at the minute and growing. 

2022 will be too soon to be a threat but the article is not wrong in terms of 2026. They won’t be favourites but they will be a threat to anyone. The talent isn’t middling. They are being developed at top clubs like Bayern, Barcelona and Dortmund. There are quite a few who qualify in English academies at the minute too. The 2026 WC will be massive there and it is a rising sport with teenagers and young adults. 

On 26/03/2021 at 17:48, paul_fox said:

Wouldn't it be hard to get work permits? Anyone one who would be eligible would probably have been snapped up by a bigger team. 

Absolutely, unless these players were full internationals (as you say many of whom are already with decent clubs these days) the only route would be to obtain a British passport through their ancestry, which is unlikely.

Football in America is definitely improving but I’m not sure it is a market we can explore for the reasons above.

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Moving slightly off the USA side of things. I was watching the Ireland v Luxemburg match  and thinking their were two or three of the Luxemburg team who would be keeping an eye on.

Thought the 22, the right back (Martins ?) was outstanding, the CB (Chanot) too, but he’s 31 & plays for New York, I believe?

Archived