IGNORED

Robbie Cundy

GrahamC

4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I think Taylor Moore has probably had sufficient chances to impress and whilst I'm sure he'll go on to have a good career, I'm not convinced he is of a quality that would see him slot in to a Championship back 4 on a regular basis.

That said, wasn't his preferred position midfield?

As for Cundy, I'd not be too hung up on his age, wasn't Bobby Reid about 25 when he found his position and form?

I think some consideration has to be given to the poorly organised and poorly led sides that TM has found himself in, through no fault of his own. We should have senior players guiding him through the game but instead it appears he is left to sort himself out. He's also been played out of position, on the left side of a 2 or a 3 when he is clearly more suited to central (in a 3) or right side (in a 2). And often playing with a makeshift full back outside him (I like Rowe, but he is limited). 

It's interesting you mention age, as central defenders go, both Moore and Cundy are some way off their peak. 

I haven’t watched him play so I’m not going to comment on his ability, but there are a few comments about his age and lack of experience in the Championship. Aiden Flint didn’t play in the Championship until he was nearly 26. He managed the step up ok and was player of the season the following year. As an aside, Tony Book didn’t play in the top flight for Manchester City until he was over 30. 

58 minutes ago, Harry said:

Played against them a few times. 

I played against Exeter United in the Suburban League and used to tell people who knew nothing about the Suburban League / football in general that I was going to play Exeter. This shows how desperate I was to convince people I could actually play 

59 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

I think some consideration has to be given to the poorly organised and poorly led sides that TM has found himself in, through no fault of his own. We should have senior players guiding him through the game but instead it appears he is left to sort himself out. He's also been played out of position, on the left side of a 2 or a 3 when he is clearly more suited to central (in a 3) or right side (in a 2). And often playing with a makeshift full back outside him (I like Rowe, but he is limited). 

It's interesting you mention age, as central defenders go, both Moore and Cundy are some way off their peak. 

Issue is. We have a team that on balance lacks even a modicum of height when dealing with set pieces besides our soon to be out of contract striker, and basic concentration and composure.

On that balance, Cundy is ahead of Moore at the minute, simply being more in line with what we need.

The latter is a decent ball playing centre back which is hens teeth rare at league one level. The issue there is that whether your a ball playing or limited defender, concentration is the name of the game at this level. 

Moore's biggest problem is that he's been a victim of the clubs recruitment policy, I.e. Clubs in bag approach. 

1 hour ago, sinenomine said:

....some wanted TM as captain this year.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Played against them a few times. 

Me too.  Played for them twice too (ringer, night games).

2 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Moore's biggest problem is that he's been a victim of the clubs recruitment policy, I.e. Clubs in bag approach. 

I think Moore's biggest problem is that he hasn't really developed as a player. Ergo, without a significant pre-season, his best opportunities for games will either be loan with view, or the odd cup game if we are doing well in the league.

Can't fault his attitude or anything line that, just might not quite be good enough.

Hope I'm wrong.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

....some wanted TM as captain this year.

Me too.  Played for them twice too (ringer, night games).

I'm now thinking about The Night Caller telly show that was on ITV late at night (if Cell Block H wasn't on).

Some shocking US talk-radio crime thing. 

Bloodly John Anderson and now this. Have a word with yourself.

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I think Moore's biggest problem is that he hasn't really developed as a player. Ergo, without a significant pre-season, his best opportunities for games will either be loan with view, or the odd cup game if we are doing well in the league.

Can't fault his attitude or anything line that, just might not quite be good enough.

Hope I'm wrong.

Agree, other issue for me is he simply doesn’t appear tough enough.

Been done by both clever movement too, (not only by Pukki either, who is clearly a class above) but also by forwards being too strong for him.

That’s not a good combination, if you are strong but slow you hope your partner has the pace to bail you out, or vice versa, but he appears to have problems against both types.

Think he’s a League One player, in truth.

Under contract for next season so will be sticking around if we can’t move him on, but would be competing with Cundy for 4th choice if as I expect, we bring someone in to challenge Kalas & Vyner.

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Exeter united got bigger crowds than exeter city in the 1980s.

They used to kick off for years, at 1pm, on the pitch on the park, nearest ashton road.

Used to watch them for years, and they had a shirt like wolves then.

I remember watching them many times in the 80's. I must admit many times the 1pm game was better than the 3pm game

13 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah I would not want to give up on Moore. He's improved and had good games as well as bad. It would be great if we could use him in a different position so he adds more to the squad than just being a back up centre back. But just looking at him as a centre back, he has had good games. Build a team that play on the front foot and it will get the best out of him imo.

I think Moore needs to learn the dark arts and be a bit nastier. 

Maybe the time out of the first team will draw out his agression and determination not to get beaten.

He is the image of City DNA , a nice lad , intelligent and media friendly.

3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Exeter united got bigger crowds than exeter city in the 1980s.

They used to kick off for years, at 1pm, on the pitch on the park, nearest ashton road.

Used to watch them for years, and they had a shirt like wolves then.

Yep, always Gold and Black when I played against them.

I don’t know if they are still going, or whether they are part of Ashton Utd these days, which might be linked to Backwell?

21 hours ago, mozo said:

Yeah I reckon he'll be with 'the group' in pre-season to show his worth. 

It'll be interesting to see how Taylor Moore' future pans out by comparison. They're similar ages but with very different attributes and different paths.

He’s done exactly what the club has expected of him. Excelled in L2 so moved him to L1 and again rose to the challenge and has been impressive by all accounts 

The most obvious step would be to start involving him in the first team squad next season and see if his progression continues

Championship teams have to be able to clear their box from crosses and set pieces. 
You need an imposing central defender for that. Our lack of height at the back has hammered us this season. It breeds nervousness and affects other parts of our play.

Cundy’s height, and loan experience, must bring him into the frame. But, against some Championship teams, you also have to be able to defend on the ground. That will be his challenge.

it does make you wonder though if Cundy would have been far more use than Mariappa this year. 

1 hour ago, INCRED said:

He’s done exactly what the club has expected of him. Excelled in L2 so moved him to L1 and again rose to the challenge and has been impressive by all accounts 

The most obvious step would be to start involving him in the first team squad next season and see if his progression continues

100%.  He should be given a proper chance. Him and Moore 4th/5th choices to start with means we'll have depth plus the potential to sign 1 player in addition to Kalas and Vyner (or maybe one extra if one of these leaves).

6 hours ago, INCRED said:

Or do a Vyner and loan him to a Championship side!

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, always Gold and Black when I played against them.

I don’t know if they are still going, or whether they are part of Ashton Utd these days, which might be linked to Backwell?

Yeah, I was pretty sure they merged with Ashton Utd a number of years back (when I was even still playing!!!), and then later Ashton & Backwell merged too. 

Archived