IGNORED

Geoff Merrick

GrahamC

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Buenas noches Bill! Is this the one?

Captain Fantastic heading home from Keith Fear's free-kick on Boxing Day, 1975.

City 2 - Plymouth Argyle 2.

With Paul Cheesley off injured before half-time (hello Nathan!), it's left to City's centre halves Merrick and Collier to cancel out 2 Paul Mariner goals for the visitors in what was, not for the last time, a crackling Xmas derby. 

Just 4 months later, Merrick's Marvels had sealed promotion to the promised land. What a team. We can but dream.   

GM header.jpg

That’s a fantastic picture. 

10 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

With Paul Cheesley off injured before half-time (hello Nathan!), it's left to City's centre halves Merrick and Collier to cancel out 2 Paul Mariner goals for the visitors in what was, not for the last time, a crackling Xmas derby. 

Just 4 months later, Merrick's Marvels had sealed promotion to the promised land. What a team. We can but dream.   

GM header.jpg

Very many thanks!  Happy days!

On 29/04/2021 at 18:58, Leveller said:

He was like a wiry Bobby Moore.

Great player and one of my heroes. However I remember going to to see City away at Spurs and he scored a brilliant goal. Except it was an own goal. He played a shocker that day. It was late 70s. There was only about twenty of us in the away section of the ground and Geoff was the first City player to come up when the players were warming up to give us a wave.

On 29/04/2021 at 18:24, Robbored said:

He was young to be club captain - eventually lost the captaincy to GG iirc.....

GG? I thought Gary Glitter was in Thailand at the time putting together his own 'Do you wanna be in my gang" young players team.?

Really nice guy - my wife used to live next door to Trevor Tainton in Nailsea, next to him was Geoff Merrick . Would see him out most day’s walking his Dalmatians - he was always willing to chat and a very down to earth bloke . I don’t think we really appreciated what a great player we had at the time . How we could do with the likes of him and Gerry Gow now !

1 hour ago, seacider said:

Really nice guy - my wife used to live next door to Trevor Tainton in Nailsea, next to him was Geoff Merrick . Would see him out most day’s walking his Dalmatians - he was always willing to chat and a very down to earth bloke . I don’t think we really appreciated what a great player we had at the time . How we could do with the likes of him and Gerry Gow now !

There have been great players who we have connected to over the years. It also depends on which era and I suppose your age and of which years you were born a red and you visited Ashton Gate, we are al reds on here.

There have been many City players we have all loved and will always be our own personal heroes for what ever reason. 

My first home game was when I was about 7 or 8 in the late 60s. I remember some great moments in the 70s and 80s before I emigrated to OZ in 1989. 

The first division days were brilliant, Arsenal away was the first one where I think there must of been at least 15,000 City supporters of which I was proud to attend. 

Sir Geoff along with many others I will never forget. Just for me a few  others were John Shaw, Trevor Tainton, Donn G, Jimmy Man, David Rodgers, Howard Pritchard, Joe Royle and my ultimate hero of all time and may god rest him in piece Norman Hunter,

Its still a very happy birthday to Geoff from me 

14 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

GM header.jpg

Our captain, legend, hero facing up to bad boy Frankie

Archived