IGNORED

Barnsley Match Report

Dave L

City dominated the game, and played some inventive and creative possession football. Clist was a surprise starter, and was a deserved winner of man of the match. Wilkshire and Tinnion bossed midfield, with Brown supplying the only width on the left hand side. Miller continued his steady improvement and Peacock ran all match to little effect. The defence worked well as a unit and Barnsley never looked like scoring.

Although we had most of the possession, we didn't actually turn that into sufficient clear cut chances. A turn and shot by Miller, a free kick by Wilkshire which hit the post and a close range effort by Clist which was turned away by the keeper stood out in the first half. After half time a superb nod down from Peacock to Clist who was once more foiled by the keeper, Carey blazed high and wide when he really should have got his shot on target and Roberts had a couple of shots easily saved.

Barnsley came for a draw and got it. The person I feel really sorry for is Jer Boon, who now has to cycle to Rushden on Saturday, Barnsley the following Tuesday then back here for the Stockport game!

Ratings:

Phillips: 6. Did he have a save to make? I can't remember one.

Carey 6: Solid at the back but couldn't supply the missing width on the right hand side.

Coles: 7. Had a tough job marking Betsy, but never let him get away.

Hill: 6 Didn't have a lot to do, but did it well.

Woodman: 7 Faded a bit in the second half, but I can't see Bell getting back in the team.

Wilkshire: 7: Inventive in the middle of the park.

Tinnion: 7. As ever at the heart of our best moves.

Clist: 8 Never stopped running. Got into some good forward positions with his trademark late runs. Could (should) have scored twice and got in some tackles too!

Brown: 7 Got down the flank well. Had his right head on today.

Miller: 7 Showed some lovely deft skill on the ground, but not as dominant as he can be in the air.

Peacock: 6 Ran and ran and ran. But didn't really get anywhere.

City dominated the game, and played some inventive and creative possession football. Clist was a surprise starter, and was a deserved winner of man of the match. Wilkshire and Tinnion bossed midfield, with Brown supplying the only width on the left hand side. Miller continued his steady improvement and Peacock ran all match to little effect. The defence worked well as a unit and Barnsley never looked like scoring.

Although we had most of the possession, we didn't actually turn that into sufficient clear cut chances. A turn and shot by Miller, a free kick by Wilkshire which hit the post and a close range effort by Clist which was turned away by the keeper stood out in the first half. After half time a superb nod down from Peacock to Clist who was once more foiled by the keeper, Carey blazed high and wide when he really should have got his shot on target and Roberts had a couple of shots easily saved.

Barnsley came for a draw and got it. The person I feel really sorry for is Jer Boon, who now has to cycle to Rushden on Saturday, Barnsley the following Tuesday then back here for the Stockport game!

Ratings:

Phillips: 6. Did he have a save to make? I can't remember one.

Carey 6: Solid at the back but couldn't supply the missing width on the right hand side.

Coles: 7. Had a tough job marking Betsy, but never let him get away.

Hill: 6 Didn't have a lot to do, but did it well.

Woodman: 7 Faded a bit in the second half, but I can't see Bell getting back in the team.

Wilkshire: 7: Inventive in the middle of the park.

Tinnion: 7. As ever at the heart of our best moves.

Clist: 8  Never stopped running. Got into some good forward positions with his trademark late runs. Could (should) have scored twice and got in some tackles too!

Brown: 7 Got down the flank well. Had his right head on today.

Miller: 7 Showed some lovely deft skill on the ground, but not as dominant as he can be in the air.

Peacock: 6 Ran and ran and ran. But didn't really get anywhere.

I presume Clist played wide right, does he have the pace to get to the bye-line? Is he as I would expect, drifting inside a lot? Carey has not impressed me going forward at all this season, might be Amanks recently not making the expected runs, not sure.

I went to watch Sjoke v Baaadiff today, not a particularly good game but one thing was very noticeable; Tins and Wilks will be overpowered in the middle in Div 1, there was no time and the game was quite fast. I believe that away from home we will need a Burnell or Doc in central midfield maybe even play 3-5-2. Anyway, promotion first.

Thank you, very adventurous, what is getting in to Danny?

Carey is a worry if playing right half in a 3-5-2, Amanks would be far suited to that position, appreciate he is injured. Certainly if we are playing Miller / Peacock combination we need to be getting to the bye-line and whipping the ball across. Did Brown get down the left or was he a bit innoculous ala Blackpool?

Two successive games with an attacking formation and no goals is a bit of a worry. Appreciate that the wind amounted to a huge advantage to one side in each half last week but this line-up (especially with Roberts partnering Miller) is more suited to the counter-attack than a seige.

Hopefully the Diamonds will cop for it next week.

<br /> No, we started off with a 3 5 2 formation.

Carey and Brown on  the Flanks and Tinnion Clist and Wilks in the middle.

Carey never really got forward though.

<br /> See, to me after much deliberation I decided this is the formation we played:

--------------------------------Phillips

Carey-----------------Coles--------Hill----------------Woodman

-------------------------Wilkshire Clist Tinnion-------Brown

--------------------------Peacock-----Miller

Kind of a 4/3 - 4/5 - 2

Could be wrong though!

See, to me after much deliberation I decided this is the formation we played:

Phillips

Coles Hill Woodman

Carey

Wilkshire Clist Tinnion Brown

Peacock Miller

I'd agree with that, it was the good old 3-1-4-2 formation.

Interesting selection times ahead, if Wilson goes 3-5-2, then Amankwaah comes in at the expense of Carey or Hill.

Archived