IGNORED

So Baker is back.

Bristol Rob

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Nige said he wanted an extremely fit and reliable squad, this signing simply doesn't make sense in that regard.

Anyone really believe Baker will make 25 - 30 starts next season, and even if he does, how many games will he finish?

He's played less than 30 games a season for us twice.

He gets subbed off early a handful of times at most.

So yes, I fully expect that he would make 25-30 starts in the season and he would finish the vast majority of those.

The bizarre need on here to exaggerate so many things is a bit pathetic (not aimed at yourself specifically).

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

So yes, I fully expect that he would make 25-30 starts in the season and he would finish the vast majority of those.

The bizarre need on here to exaggerate so many things is a bit pathetic (not aimed at yourself specifically).

How many seasons has he been with us?

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Nige said he wanted an extremely fit and reliable squad, this signing simply doesn't make sense in that regard.

Anyone really believe Baker will be fit enough to make 30+ starts next season, and even if he does, how many games will he finish?

Yes,,, if baker doesnt stay fit then nige will have fingers pointed at him for this signing.

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I suggest you examine previous Baker threads James, the figures of games started and finished by Baker are all on there, and it looks like they'd surprise you.

3 minutes ago, Rob k said:

How many seasons has he been with us?

5 including his loan.

34 league appearances twice, and 36 in the league for the three seasons where he played more than 30.

Some of the games missed will also include suspensions and being dropped from form too.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I suggest you examine previous Baker threads James, the figures of games started and finished by Baker are all on there, and it looks like they'd surprise you.

Well aware its more than other CBs, that doesn't justify the ridiculous exaggerations of some posts on this thread.

32 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

There seems to be a notion that Dave Rennie is some kind of witch doctor who can heal the sick, raise the dead, repair pulled hamstrings instantly, and - the ultimate task- keep Baker fit.

The facts are Baker was a sick note at Villa, and throughout his time at City even before Rolls arrived and LJ said a lot of his problems were in his head. He went off in one game because he had a headache  - how does Rennie prevent that?

Plus Ca change

For a headache you'll find that Anadin will be better than Rennie, they'll help indigestion though !

2 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Yes,,, if baker doesnt stay fit then nige will have fingers pointed at him for this signing.

I don't know about that.

Looks to me like Kalas may be off, our intended CB signings have mostly turned us down, and we've found ourselves in a fairly desperate situation where the very strange and risky re-signing of Baker is seen as our best option.

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't know about that.

Looks to me like Kalas may be off, our intended CB signings have mostly turned us down, and we've found ourselves in a fairly desperate situation where the very strange and risky re-signing of Baker is seen as our best option.

So total supposition on your part.

Pearson stated he wants 2 centre backs….there’s one, expect another 

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

Played less than 90 games since 2017 - can’t see how this is a good move, and yes i know he’s decent on his day but that day isn’t very often 

I know what you mean, but he's averaged 31 league games per season from 17/18 to 19/20 then got the injury that kept him out of all but 2 games of last season. For a player like him, chucking himself into tackles, that isn't bad, not great, but not bad.

As I said in another thread, I wanted him gone, but last season showed we actually missed him a lot and, if he's got some competition at LCB, whats not to like ?

15 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

So total supposition on your part.

Pearson stated he wants 2 centre backs….there’s one, expect another 

Do you think a Nathan Baker on reduced wages was our initial target?

I doubt it.

When Bakes is good, he is good, indeed very good.

When Bakes is bad, he literally disappears off the pitch.

With the new era, I thought, it was time to reduce injury absenteeism. Time for at least one centre back to start notching goals on a regular basis (ala Flinty style), time for stable effective partnerships - the key being the centre back two. Is that what Bakes is going to bring to the party?

Odd one for me.

Does make a bit more sense if  Kalas is on the move or, possibly, using him as part of a back three, or - dependent on wages - Bakes being the ‘first reserve’ for a new CB pairing. 

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Yep and I suspect this will be quite commonplace all over the EFL this summer, players seeing what's out there for them but ultimately realising that they might be better off staying where they are on reduced terms.

And I suspect some of them will find the offer that was on the table is no longer there! ?

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

Yep, dave rennie will find it easier to walk on water and turn water into wine than keep baker fit, id be surprised if hes not injured by the time the season starts.

Sorry, Simon, but you know this how?

27 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Do you think a Nathan Baker on reduced wages was our initial target?

I doubt it.

Probably not but I was responding to a post that assumed that just because we signed baker, kalas is off and every centre back we were going for has turned us down.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

His contract ends on Wednesday. We've just taken him off the released list and put him on the retained list!!

Yes. But with a different contract that is almost certainly considerably less lucrative. 

Anyway getting away from being captain obvious I would really like to know the ins and outs of this.. Big Nige doesn’t strike me as the sought of bloke who gives out second chances, so I can only guess the contract negotiations have been ongoing with him and the threat of being OOC was a part of the negotiations. 

Or

There is an offer for Kalas and the club are covering their bases double quick

It’s a case of what’s the value for money, for me. 
The last couple of years, we can safely say we’ve not got VFM from Baker on his rumoured £25-30k per week. 

If we’ve got him down to around £10k pw and we get 25+ games out of him, then it’s VFM. 

We know he’s a good defender. It’s the fact we’ve overpaid and he’s underplayed for the last couple of years. And there’s the crux - if he plays and the wages are realistic, fine. If he doesn’t, hindsight will show that many were right to criticise this. 

2 hours ago, Jacki said:

This is a strange one for me. Baker is a decent player when fit but we all know how injury prone he is. He started a grand total of 1 game throughout the whole of last season and he’s been in and out with injury ever since he joined us.

Even on a pay as you play deal I’d say this is a huge risk. Hopefully we’ve done a stringent medical on him and he can stay fit, but history says that seems unlikely. 

I’m sure he made three appearances last season which included two starts ... but your point still stands. I think that when he’s on song he’s the best defender at the club ...

Archived