IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

13 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Someone in Gaschat suggesting that bills are going unpaid and staff are being paid late.

Sure if that was true it would be in the local press.

So, which one of you have managed to set up an account over there and has lasted long enough to post that without getting banned?

the post investigate something thats not on social media, what witchcraft is this?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Wow; another reality bite! http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/10986/exeter-seemingly-managing

Now Exeter's old away terrace has gone, I think we can officially call our away end the worst in the football league and that's including Forest green and Newport who also have poor facilities for away fans.

The experience for the away fans at the MEM must be bloody awful it ain't that much better for us Homers either!

Their (Exeter's) training ground isn't too shabby for a League 2 club either.

We have no ambition the money is not in place and it never has been 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

5 minutes ago, Coombsy said:

The family have shut off funds, i think people should be pretty worried and maybe rather than bury their heads in the sand with their rose tinted spectacles

Be amazed if that were true, but equally if they do want to cash in and sail off in to the sunset then they are running out of time to do it if they want to avoid a loss.

5 hours ago, myol'man said:

Next up; 

Wham U-21's in the Check it out trophy.

The only link I could find to South Bristol is well known Knowle Wester Julian Dicks who is on the coaching staff at West Ham.

Now if any gashead fancies shouting 'sheeted, sheeted' to Mr. Dicks the might find that it's not only horses that get punched at the Memorial Ground :grr:

"Cam on you Irons" :chant6ez:

jd.jpg

jd2.jpg

He's a Liverpool fan, or was.

5 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Someone in Gaschat suggesting that bills are going unpaid and staff are being paid late.

Sure if that was true it would be in the local press.

So, which one of you have managed to set up an account over there and has lasted long enough to post that without getting banned?

Are you serious? The local press who have traditionally not investigated or printed stories about BRFC, their supporters, players, past players, former directors, because the editorial was full of Rovers supporters. The same local press who historically print anything detrimental about BCFC, past players, it's supporters and anyone remotely associated with the club.

• Like 2

Would OTIB members and City fans generally support Stephen Lansdown if he could be persuaded to fund a trust to be set up to purchase The Memorial Stadium under the assets of community value scheme ?  The trust would lease the stadium to Rovers which would become a fan owned club on the Bundesliga model and, as part of the process, Dwane Sports would relinquish their entire share holding in return for having their loan repaid through the sale of the ground.  

I know there are extreme views on here and many would like to see Rovers disappear altogether but sporting competition is healthy and surely City fans can see the benefits of continuing the rivalry which has given all of us so much enjoyment over the years.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, bert tann said:

Would OTIB members and City fans generally support Stephen Lansdown if he could be persuaded to fund a trust to be set up to purchase The Memorial Stadium under the assets of community value scheme ?  The trust would lease the stadium to Rovers which would become a fan owned club on the Bundesliga model and, as part of the process, Dwane Sports would relinquish their entire share holding in return for having their loan repaid through the sale of the ground.  

I know there are extreme views on here and many would like to see Rovers disappear altogether but sporting competition is healthy and surely City fans can see the benefits of continuing the rivalry which has given all of us so much enjoyment over the years.   

Only if it was Bristol Rugby that ended up owning the ground the sags stole.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bert tann said:

No. Piss off and start from scratch if its that bad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, bert tann said:

Sooner see your lot disappear from the face of the earth to be honest.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, bert tann said:

Why would we want that. Rivalry is one thing (and yes, a good thing), but surely Mr Lansdown would be better off witnessing the demise of the other team, which over the course of a few years / generation would mean that there are many more potential supporters of City. 

If there is no Rovers, then all football fans in Bristol would only have one choice, meaning Mr Lansdown's pockets are lined more handsomely. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Why would we want that. Rivalry is one thing (and yes, a good thing), but surely Mr Lansdown would be better off witnessing the demise of the other team, which over the course of a few years / generation would mean that there are many more potential supporters of City. 

If there is no Rovers, then all football fans in Bristol would only have one choice, meaning Mr Lansdown's pockets are lined more handsomely. 

I think we can all agree that Stephen Lansdown is not in it to line his pockets but because his aim is to make Bristol a thriving sporting city. 

And helping our community form  the first British professional football club organised on the lines of the Bundesliga model would be a great achievement.  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bert tann said:

In a word, no. There are many reasons not to but, sorry to say Bert, less in favour. I know competition is healthy but, with all due respect, where is the competition? The only competition there has been for many years, is for the pound in the pocket of Bristol football supporters and there is a healthy amount.  Like in the retail industry, if there's a chance of a monopoly and improving on a reasonably successful product by swallowing up the competitor, it's done. I believe that would be the best thing for Bristol football, two clubs and one is holding the other back. If it were the other way around then my heart would obviously disagree but my head would say, Bristol needs one club to give it a chance of real success and be a club for the region.

Would that one club be successful, who knows. I do believe that over a period of time, it would become better supported (in numbers) and would ultimately receive more in local sponsorship. Managed correctly, this would give the club a greater chance of success. 

People might hold up Bradford as an example, where the demise of one club didn't appear to help the other, how do we know? Leeds has been a one club city, bigger than Bristol and ultimately more successful, as can be said in success terms for, Leicester, Norwich, Ipswich, Wolves, Coventry, Derby, Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Cardiff, Stoke, Southampton, Portsmouth, the list could go on, no doubt. They have one thing in common, no same city competition.

I do not believe Bristol has the number of football supporting general public as other large Cities in the UK, as a result, it struggles to produce regular success, or even challenge for success. 

10 minutes ago, bert tann said:

I think we can all agree that Stephen Lansdown is not in it to line his pockets but because his aim is to make Bristol a thriving sporting city. 

And helping our community form  the first British professional football club organised on the lines of the Bundesliga model would be a great achievement.  

Sounds as if you have the begging bowl out Bert. I genuinely feel for some supporters of BRFC but, BRFC has always wanted someone else to provide them with this or that, this is no different a proposition.

33 minutes ago, Rich said:

In a word, no. There are many reasons not to but, sorry to say Bert, less in favour. I know competition is healthy but, with all due respect, where is the competition? The only competition there has been for many years, is for the pound in the pocket of Bristol football supporters and there is a healthy amount.  Like in the retail industry, if there's a chance of a monopoly and improving on a reasonably successful product by swallowing up the competitor, it's done. I believe that would be the best thing for Bristol football, two clubs and one is holding the other back. If it were the other way around then my heart would obviously disagree but my head would say, Bristol needs one club to give it a chance of real success and be a club for the region.

Would that one club be successful, who knows. I do believe that over a period of time, it would become better supported (in numbers) and would ultimately receive more in local sponsorship. Managed correctly, this would give the club a greater chance of success. 

People might hold up Bradford as an example, where the demise of one club didn't appear to help the other, how do we know? Leeds has been a one club city, bigger than Bristol and ultimately more successful, as can be said in success terms for, Leicester, Norwich, Ipswich, Wolves, Coventry, Derby, Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Cardiff, Stoke, Southampton, Portsmouth, the list could go on, no doubt. They have one thing in common, no same city competition.

I do not believe Bristol has the number of football supporting general public as other large Cities in the UK, as a result, it struggles to produce regular success, or even challenge for success. 

I understand your logic Rich and of coursed I admit I am biased. The examples you give of single club cities are good ones and, Coventry aside, a common factor is that those clubs tend to hold their support at very respectable levels even through periods of under achievement on the pitch.  

If Rovers had a benefactor willing to risk a sizable amount of cash, albeit not on the Lansdown scale, then of course my viewpoint would be different. But we haven't and so we have to use some lateral thinking to get out of the situation we are in and try to preserve our football club. To ask (beg) Stephen for help would be ludicrous but i believe what I have proposed has some merit.

The scenario you put forward of Rovers' elimination leading to greater opportunity for City is plausible on the face of it but in reality I think it is flawed for two reasons. Firstly, the vast majority of newcomers to the area or undecided football fans are clearly going to favour City anyway due to the standard of football and the facilities at Ashton Gate and I don't think this will change even with a fan owned club alive in North Bristol. Secondly if Rovers were to fail then I cannot see our hard core supporters switching sides to City but instead they would either follow a reconstituted club at a very low level or switch to another recreational activity. So the benefits to City of Rovers disappearing would, I believe, be minimal.

But my point really was about Stephen Lansdown and his commitment to sport in Bristol and how a revitalized Rovers under a unique and dynamic fan ownership model could provide an extra dimension to his achievements on behalf of the community and to his his legacy.  If he could be convinced that the presence of a "new model" Bristol Rovers  would benefit sport in Bristol as a whole, do no harm to City  and possibly even spur you on to greater things then maybe there is hope ?        

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, bert tann said:

Jeremy Wade standard fishing Bert 

26 minutes ago, bert tann said:

I understand your logic Rich and of coursed I admit I am biased. The examples you give of single club cities are good ones and, Coventry aside, a common factor is that those clubs tend to hold their support at very respectable levels even through periods of under achievement on the pitch.  

If Rovers had a benefactor willing to risk a sizable amount of cash, albeit not on the Lansdown scale, then of course my viewpoint would be different. But we haven't and so we have to use some lateral thinking to get out of the situation we are in and try to preserve our football club. To ask (beg) Stephen for help would be ludicrous but i believe what I have proposed has some merit.

The scenario you put forward of Rovers' elimination leading to greater opportunity for City is plausible on the face of it but in reality I think it is flawed for two reasons. Firstly, the vast majority of newcomers to the area or undecided football fans are clearly going to favour City anyway due to the standard of football and the facilities at Ashton Gate and I don't think this will change even with a fan owned club alive in North Bristol. Secondly if Rovers were to fail then I cannot see our hard core supporters switching sides to City but instead they would either follow a reconstituted club at a very low level or switch to another recreational activity. So the benefits to City of Rovers disappearing would, I believe, be minimal.

But my point really was about Stephen Lansdown and his commitment to sport in Bristol and how a revitalized Rovers under a unique and dynamic fan ownership model could provide an extra dimension to his achievements on behalf of the community and to his his legacy.  If he could be convinced that the presence of a "new model" Bristol Rovers  would benefit sport in Bristol as a whole, do no harm to City  and possibly even spur you on to greater things then maybe there is hope ?        

I would kind of support a small stadium somewhere like this, but I would be disappointed if it happened at the Mem. Maybe if SL bought the Mem and made it into community facilties and Rovers use the money to make a small 10,000 seater somewhere shared with a non league team maybe.

• Like 1

In relation to Matty (they really cant let it go)........got to love ‘em........

kingswood Polak

yesterday at 8:25pm
trymer said:
astafjevs said:
We've barely missed him at all, in my opinion.

Come off it,the first few games after he left Rovers couldn't score at all ,even though the Chairman had said that he wouldn't be missed as the team had other players who could score.

In my opinion Rovers would have got to the play offs last season if Taylor had stayed.

And that’s precisely the reason SL didn’t just sanction it, he ordered it. Imagine how bad it would make him and that club look if we had attained championship football without spending the many many millions he has shelled out. 
I’ve personally never hated them but that purchase showed them up in a very bad light & the welcome to Bristol campaign was just something that should embarrass them, however I feel they have no sense of shame 

Read more:  http://gasheads.org/thread/6822/seasnake#ixzz4x7iRlNlj

Edited by RedRaw
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

In relation to Matty (they really cant let it go)........got to love ‘em........

kingswood Polak

yesterday at 8:25pm
trymer said:
astafjevs said:
We've barely missed him at all, in my opinion.

Come off it,the first few games after he left Rovers couldn't score at all ,even though the Chairman had said that he wouldn't be missed as the team had other players who could score.

In my opinion Rovers would have got to the play offs last season if Taylor had stayed.

And that’s precisely the reason SL didn’t just sanction it, he ordered it. Imagine how bad it would make him and that club look if we had attained championship football without spending the many many millions he has shelled out. 
I’ve personally never hated them but that purchase showed them up in a very bad light & the welcome to Bristol campaign was just something that should embarrass them, however I feel they have no sense of shame 

Read more:  http://gasheads.org/thread/6822/seasnake#ixzz4x7iRlNlj

SL didn’t just sanction it, he ordered it

he ordered it

he ordered it

he ordered it

he ordered it

he ordered it

he ordered it

• Haha 2