IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

7 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Yeah, I think that’s the least of his worries to be honest….

Theres still the small matter of allegedly kicking his wife in the head.

Felt that he needed a kick in the head to shut the prat up!

Edited by Redtucks

3 hours ago, richyy66 said:

The bloke is so condescending. Basically slagging off young kids from Palace Academy. He was bitter because the OAP Whelan got himself sent off. He basically said none of the Palace players would make it in pro football and would end up in a civilian job. They only beat them 2-0 so shows how good they are also. Bloke is an absolute bell.

Having just watched the football academy series on Channel 4 about Palace's academy (really worth a watch by the way an unreal facility they have), this is a massively disrespectful comment

20 hours ago, BS3City said:

I remember we suffered that "vitriol" years ago at Watford, wittily responding with "You're French and you know you are..."

Equally relevant I'd suggest...

I heard the QPR fans singing that and tried to get a chant of "You're Dutch and you know you are" going but it didn't catch on. It seemed to make as much geographical sense to me. QPR fans were also heard to sing "Is this a library?" and "We forgot that you were here" and "You're just a shit Bristol Rovers" all of which suggests a level of stupidity unsurpassed since Luton fans dropped both the T and the N in chanting their own teams five letter name.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Thanks for that, although I assume it has now finished.

Are you able to provide a link or explain how I might find it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0d09d2t

The soppy scouse sausage can be heard from about 26 minutes in, I am trying to listen but it seems that the loopy liverpudlian thinks that footballers are not civilian,

Edited by CiderJar

6 hours ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Actually said that he wishes they didn't have to enter the competition where his team of stars risk injury and suspension against teams of young kids looking to impress whoever might be watching them. Also said he would play his own youth team in the next game, even though they have a chance of progressing .

What other competitive football does his fringe players get, seems a perfect opportunity to me to look at other squad/younger players 

2 hours ago, nickolas said:

Bemoaning the competition saying its not worth it. Then says it risks injuries to senior players. Yet, he picks senior players?!

Joey-logic obviously. ?

Maybe he is under pressure to get them to Wembley and pay some bills? I think it will be great if they continue to play against the U21 teams, he continues to slag them off and those teams tell him to **** off when he comes begging for their starlets in January.

5 hours ago, CiderJar said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0d09d2t

The soppy scouse sausage can be heard from about 26 minutes in, I am trying to listen but it seems that the loopy liverpudlian thinks that footballers are not civilian,

Thanks for that, and I shall try and listen to it later.

In the meantime, I have read a transcript and, to be fair to JB, I sort of agree with a lot of what he is saying, although perhaps not the manner in which he says it.

I am totally against the idea of Premier League U21 teams being allowed to compete in the competition, especially if, as JB was alleging about last night’s match, they were not being penalised (or, at least, not being carded) for some outrageous challenges that might seriously injure an opponent who has a ‘proper’ game to play on Saturday.

I also empathise with his comments about referees being given ‘work experience’, although it is quite insulting, and, of course, most clubs treat the competition in exactly the same way in so far as it concerns their young players or players returning from injury.

City did virtually the same thing in the League Cup game against Coventry earlier this season, playing TV and NW, and look how positively that has turned out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nickolas said:

Bemoaning the competition saying its not worth it. Then says it risks injuries to senior players. Yet, he picks senior players?!

Joey-logic obviously. ?

Don't you have to have a certain number (5?) of players starting in the matchday squad that played in the previous league game? I remember Cotts speaking about it before the competition involved U21 teams. 

He is a bellend though.

21 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Don't you have to have a certain number (5?) of players starting in the matchday squad that played in the previous league game? I remember Cotts speaking about it before the competition involved U21 teams. 

He is a bellend though.

You are correct.  I believe that we got fined after Darrell Clarke subbed the first team keeper off after 2 minutes.  

2 minutes ago, In the Net said:

You are correct.  I believe that we got fined after Darrell Clarke subbed the first team keeper off after 2 minutes.  

Ridiculous. I remember Blackpool getting fined for fielding a second string team and Holloways rant perfectly illustrating how wrong it was. No one wants this competition its baffling how it still remains. 

11 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Having just watched the football academy series on Channel 4 about Palace's academy (really worth a watch by the way an unreal facility they have), this is a massively disrespectful comment

The Palace documentary was very interesting - I'd like to see a follow up in a few years time, to see where the boys have ended up, and whether I was able to spot the ones with the best potential. ?

Barton actually said that, if you look at their teamsheet in 5 years time, some of those lads will be working in civilian jobs - which is borne out by the stats that 97% of Premiership Academy players never play a Premiership game, and 70% of them do not get offered a contract in the Premier or Football League.  He will be well aware of this, having been involved with Premiership clubs as a player. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Ridiculous. I remember Blackpool getting fined for fielding a second string team and Holloways rant perfectly illustrating how wrong it was. No one wants this competition its baffling how it still remains. 

It was never high on the agenda, and the recent changes have ruined it completely.  It remains because the Premier League chucked even more money at it when there were murmurings of discontent about their young squads being involved.  Their Under 23 players are going to need more than 3 games a season in "men's" football, in order to find out if they have got what it takes.  I've heard several older players talking about how U23 v U23 keeps them living in la la land with regard to their ability, hence not many actually get over the final hurdle into the first team. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, In the Net said:

The Palace documentary was very interesting - I'd like to see a follow up in a few years time, to see where the boys have ended up, and whether I was able to spot the ones with the best potential. ?

Barton actually said that, if you look at their teamsheet in 5 years time, some of those lads will be working in civilian jobs - which is borne out by the stats that 97% of Premiership Academy players never play a Premiership game, and 70% of them do not get offered a contract in the Premier or Football League.  He will be well aware of this, having been involved with Premiership clubs as a player. 

I think most football fans are aware how many players make it in the game, especially into a Prem team, but not sure many other managers would choose to highlight the fact in a post match interview!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I think most football fans are aware how many players make it in the game, especially into a Prem team, but not sure many other managers would choose to highlight the fact in a post match interview!

I presume he felt that it was relevant to his point about the U23 teams being in this competition - it isn't really developing future players, because the vast majority won't make it as professionals. 

Meanwhile the competition has lost the little credibility that it used to have (that's my thinking, not JB's)

11 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I did hear Joey talking about their lack of discipline and thought that was a case of the pot calling the kettle black.  Who is he to even question the discipline of others when you look at his record both within and outside football.

84 cards in 269 Premier League games. That's more cards than Premier League wins (83).

• Haha 4

Just a bit of an update after last night`s matches:

The greatest manager of all time is now languishing six points behind the dinosaur and the team from the arse end of nowhere and a massive twelve points behind the PE teachers.

Has he dissed Plymouth yet? He`s nineteen points adrift of them so no doubt some pearls of wisdom about what they`re doing wrong are imminent.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

The greatest manager of all time is now languishing six points behind the dinosaur and the team from the arse end of nowhere and a massive twelve points behind the PE teachers.

Has he dissed Plymouth yet? He`s nineteen points adrift of them so no doubt some pearls of wisdom about what they`re doing wrong are imminent.

Given how much further South they are than Exeter it must be a special version of skid row if you end up down there…….

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Give the bloke a break

He’s had to put up with court cases , incompetent officials , injuries , the expectation of managing a massive club and now pesky ‘kids’ trying to kick his ‘seasoned pros’ (????) off the pitch 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, In the Net said:

I think MOST of them will be in civilian jobs. I doubt that the amount of ex-academy footballers ending up in the armed forces is a very large percentage at all.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Give the bloke a break

He’s had to put up with court cases , incompetent officials , injuries , the expectation of managing a massive club and now pesky ‘kids’ trying to kick his ‘seasoned pros’ (????) off the pitch 

I remember driving down Stapleton Rd and seeing a few seasoned pro's

• Haha 4