IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

19 minutes ago, red panda said:

I really don't get the point of such posts.  Such small-minded willy waving actually makes us look tinpot.  There are enough genuine absurdities to laugh at (e.g. their ground, horse punching, minibus headbutting, open top bus tour, Santa's grotto, Doncaster Utd, boob cricket, and so on), whereas taking 937 fans to Sheffield mid-week for a televised match during a cost of living crisis when there's a Saturday match at Derby three days later isn't obviously either a complete joke or an embarrassment

We’ll quite. The point being that they constantly wave their winkies about attendances, so it’s only right to point out to them when they’ve had a mare. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sticks 1969 said:

It was on tv , getting close to Christmas, a lot of uncertainty about the economy. Not defending them but valid points 

Let's not forget all the other pathetic and lame excuses .....

Brexit, Donald Trump, the war in Ukraine, Boris's partygate, Starmer's Beergate, the death of HM The Queen, climate change, and every other fracking thing.

Edited by Bazooka Joe

1 hour ago, Harry said:

The away fan numbers last night were laughable. 
They’ve not been to Hillsborough for 12 years. And prior to that they’d only been there once in the last 42 years!! 
Strong likelihood that there were very few in their fanbase for whom this wouldn’t have been a new ground. 
If we’d only visited Hillsborough twice in 42 years, even on a Wednesday night I’m sure we’d have been close to selling out. 
To take 937 fans is a complete joke. 
What an embarrassment. 

Sounds very close to the number we took on a similar journey to Bradford to watch us get promoted

9 minutes ago, Super said:

I don't think taking 937 to Sheffield midweek is that bad in fairness to them.

You’re ignoring the context which I placed in my initial post. 
New ground for the majority of their fanbase. They’ve not been there in 12 years and only twice in 42 years. 
In those circumstances I think it’s a lot less than they would have hoped, given their regular claims of having such a great away support  

Edited by Harry

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

You’re ignoring the context which I placed in my initial post. 
New ground for the majority of their fanbase. They’ve not been there in 12 years and only twice in 42 years. 
In those circumstances I think it’s a lot less than they would have hoped, given their regular claims of having such a great away support  

Midweek is difficult for lots though. If that was a Saturday i would agree with you.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Sounds very close to the number we took on a similar journey to Bradford to watch us get promoted

We don’t bang on constantly about our away support. Promotion wasn’t exactly guaranteed was it? It’s not like we just had to turn up…

20 minutes ago, Super said:

I don't think taking 937 to Sheffield midweek is that bad in fairness to them.

I think it’s the least you’d expect under the circumstances. It’s not a ground they visit most seasons so many fans would want to ‘tick it off’. If the tables were turned they’d absolutely rip the piss out of us for not selling out before claiming they’d have taken thousands.

Exeter taking 1200 to Derby on Tuesday night overshadows 937 Gasheads imo especially when you factor in their obsession with supposedly huge away followings.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Let's not forget all the other pathetic and lame excuses .....

Brexit, Donald Trump, the war in Ukraine, Boris's partygate, Starmer's Beergate, the death of HM The Queen, climate change, and every other fracking thing.

Don't forget various cycling events, the balloon fiesta and the sale at Woolworths...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cidercity said:

He's a season ticket holder, just cant help yourselves can you.....

He's one bloke, obviously not wired right if he's in denial about figures which have been posted by the ticket office on several social media sites.  Haven't seen or heard any other Rovers supporters stating this - him being a season ticket holder doesn't make him a typical example of Rovers fans.  Bit like the bloke who supported your lot, and wrote in his book about City fans targetting police dogs, to injure them - I don't imagine that the majority of you shared his views.  

14 minutes ago, Super said:

Midweek is difficult for lots though. If that was a Saturday i would agree with you.

I would 100% guarantee that had that been us who’d not been there for 12 years, and only twice in 42 years, in a new division off the back of promotion, that we’d have taken at minimum double that. 

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

I would 100% guarantee that had that been us who’d not been there for 12 years, and only twice in 42 years, in a new division off the back of promotion, that we’d have taken at minimum double that. 

Not midweek. Just my opinion.

Edited by Super

21 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Yeah we’ve had those ‘pat on the head for the plucky little club’ threads as well in recent years but from clubs like Villa, Newcastle and Manchester City.

It’s nothing special, play them every season, give them the opportunity to get to know you and all of a sudden you’ll find their opinion of Bristol Rovers is not much different to how Wycombe, Oxford, Swindon and Barnet fans see you to name a few.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Not midweek. Just my opinion.

Well we average more away than them every season and sell more away fixtures than they do so it would be interesting how you come to that conclusion? 

Unless you’re saying they have more fans/tourists who only make the effort once a decade when they visit a famous old ground? In which case you might be right. Can’t see that that is something to be proud of though? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Well we average more away than them every season and sell more away fixtures than they do so it would be interesting how you come to that conclusion? 

Unless you’re saying they have more fans/tourists who only make the effort once a decade when they visit a famous old ground? In which case you might be right. Can’t see that that is something to be proud of though? 

You can't compare different leagues. I'm not bothered tbh all i'm saying is that it was a decent effort by them last night. 

2 minutes ago, Super said:

You can't compare different leagues. I'm not bothered tbh all i'm saying is that it was a decent effort by them last night. 

Why can’t you compare different leagues?

We've been in the Championship for 8 seasons, grounds like Hillsboro aren’t big days out for us like they are for the Gas. Would they have taken 900 to Rotherham for a midweek televised match?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Well I managed to watch about 3mins last night before guilt overtook me and I watched the Sky Sports News channel instead; they seemed to be playing ok in those 3mins; the rest of the game....who knows :dunno:

18 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Well done. We know the truth though.

My favourite post on there, and totally sums up threads like that whoever they’re about, is the guy who says something like “for the supposedly smaller club in Bristol Ive always though Rovers bring more than City over the years…”

What? On their ONE previous visit in 4 decades? ?

Like I say, sums up those threads. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Yeah we’ve had those ‘pat on the head for the plucky little club’ threads as well in recent years but from clubs like Villa, Newcastle and Manchester City.

It’s nothing special, play them every season, give them the opportunity to get to know you and all of a sudden you’ll find their opinion of Bristol Rovers is not much different to how Wycombe, Oxford, Swindon and Barnet fans see you to name a few.

This is so true.

20 hours ago, Super said:

I highly disagree, we’d take more at the top of League 2 than the bottom of League 1.

Edited by phantom
COMMENT THAT WAS QUOTED HAS BEEN REMOVED FOLLOWING REPORTS RECEIVED
  • Confused 1

I’ve had a few of Frost’s tweets pop up on my feed, do they forget that they’re bottom half or something? Using terms like ‘special moments’ and ‘fearless’. Exeter a much better side and above them despite also coming up with them last season. 

They act as if Barton invented the club. They’re no better off than when he came in. I genuinely don’t understand it. 

4 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I forgot as well that they have Derby away so we will be seeing similar rubbish again about away fan numbers as well as a few Derby fans saying "They brought more than City did". 

I'd fully expect them to take thousands up there on Saturday. 

A stadium the likes they haven't played a league match in since they were a non league club, on a Saturday, on a good run of form. 

I'd expect them to sell out & then still exaggerate the numbers. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I'd fully expect them to take thousands up there on Saturday. 

A stadium the likes they haven't played a league match in since they were a non league club, on a Saturday, on a good run of form. 

I'd expect them to sell out & then still exaggerate the numbers. 

Well unil they learn to read statisics and think logically we will always see it.