IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

14 minutes ago, Ashton Hero said:

As other contributors to this thread have informed me, its actually natural for a city fan to take an interest in rovers affairs and vice-versa. 

Its unfortunate that there aren't more forums where fans of both clubs can interact and communicate, preferably without resorting to cheap and stupid insults, as you have done - I see educational standards and general standards of civility haven't improved in south Bristol since I last visited. 

Surprised (and disappointed) you got out unscathed considering the way you conduct yourself; perhaps you should stick to those charming areas of North Bristol such as Speedwell, Lawrence Hill, Easton and St Paul’s to see the best of humanity...

As for forums where both sets of supporters can interact - chance’d be a fine thing; blame that on the Gastard scum who shut down all dissenting voices in their hilarious Conference relegation season and will tolerate no whiff of anything other than unalloyed praise to the w_@nks in Quarters on A$$hat.

So, consider yourself privileged for being able to come on here and say what you want. Far from all of us are Lansdown fanboys BTW, he’s made a lot of mistakes and in the grand scheme of things the financial backing he’s given our is pocket change (sadly).

Still, could be worse - could have been bought by an utter charlatan who convinced the Pisspoorial’s gullible fan base he was going to take them to the top and lo and behold seven years later they are still flat broke. ?

Edited by WessexPest
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Ashton Hero said:

A quick question for you. If it wasn't for Lansdown's extensive investment, do you think you would be in a higher league than them?

Or, to put it differently, given the amount that Lansdown has invested in the club, is he not entitled to expect the gap (16 places) to be a lot, lot bigger?

Lansdown had aspirations for you to be a lot, lot bigger than you actually are. When he leaves, my assumption is that equilibrium will bring you back down again. 

Actually, throughout most of both club's history, we've been in a higher league than Rovers. Think we had Lansdown when we were in the old First Division in the late 70s?

Stats - which you Gasheads are so fond of - will attest we've been better supported since the late 50s (and Rovers' dominance then was only fleeting, City was the bigger club for decades before that) and historically been higher in the league ladder since before Lansdown was a majority shareholder.

With a better stadium, better training ground, bigger fanbase and successful academy, City represent a decent punt for wannabe owners, when the Lansdown's leave. With perhaps the league's most shambolic ground, poor home support and facilities that make Peter Kay's Phoenix Club look plush, the Gas do not. Which is why, with a junior member of the top 20 wealthiest families from the Arab world's second poorest state, Rovers are punching above their weight with Chelsea-fan Wally.  You'll never improve.

Mind the gap.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

Just now, Ashton Hero said:

You haven't answered my question. You don't think Lansdown is disappointed with how it turned out? 

I don't know him. He seems quite canny and I'd imagine he has always known that football club ownership is money-losing, but local prestige building, exercise for the vast majority of owners. We've bumped around the second tier for yonks now, but with parachute payments and FFP rules it's a tough step to take to progress. Much harder than it was prior to the PL era of TV millions.

For him, it is a hobby, that has taken a small percentage of his substantial fortune. Be interested in how much of his dosh from being 15% owner of Jordan's third largest bank has been invested in the Gas by Wally.  He was carried down Gloucester Road by the ecstatic Blue Few in 2016, think he's disappointed that you're being turned over by Accrington Stanley and have only three more points than we have, during a shit season for us? 

Face it, you're going nowhere, nor are we. But we're not sitting in B&Q seats and drinking out-of-date Fanta. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Ashton Hero said:

We're all adults - so presumably we can interact without insults and keep it to good-humoured banter and witty exchanges. Rivalry is healthy but bitterness and bile are not.

I don't like a lot of what goes down on the official BRFC forum, where the moderators adopt a Stalinist line on any criticism of Wael or Barton. 

Lansdown has made a lot of mistakes with his money. From where I'm sitting, he has let his heart rule his head in the level of his investment. Others may not be so willing, so be careful for what you wish for. 

I’m under no illusions - SL may be the devil we know, but what he has not been is an Abramovich type figure who has given us inexhaustible resources that we have merely squandered; the Gas love to paint us as a mega rich club but in the grand scheme of things we are Argos shoppers.

Feel free to ignore me, then, if you don’t want bile where the Gassholes are concerned - I hate them with the heat of 100,000 red giant stars (or 10,000,000 Gas dwarfs - with another 500,000,000 locked out).

Just now, Ashton Hero said:

You don't need to know him. He has quite clearly stated that the Championship is not the limit of his ambition. As a top businessman we can presume that he would want to lead a top football club, which City clearly aren't at present.

Lansdown doesn't settle for second-best in his business relations, so why would he accept it on the football field. 

He is used to working with top professionals in his field which, with all due respect, Pearson isn't. After Leicester, its pretty much been a downward trajectory. 

Does the city 'project' look exciting? Not really, it looks and sounds more like a commitment or even obligation. 

Given the amounts invested, I'm thinking that putting on a purely business 'hat' might lead him to look to invest elsewhere, in something that is a better use of his money and time. 

Because - and this should be obvious - founding a business dealing with stocks and shares in the sell-nationalised-assets- off swashbuckling financial regime of the 1980s is different than owning a football club in the 2020s. Do you honestly think Lansdown thought he'd make loads of money from Bristol City? From what I know of the guy, he's far too intelligent to think owning a club, this century, in Bristol, is going to bring instant success and increased wealth. He owned loads of money already. Of course, it'd be nice to be a PL owner, but I understand the guy actually has perspective.

It's a vanity project! It is for 99% of owners. Reckon Wael makes money from the 6,000 ST holders at the minimal?

You're embarrassing yourself with your gaseous fantasies that our club crumbles without Lansdown. In real estate alone, it's worth more. In potential, vastly more.

Don't worry about us.  Worry about yourselves.

(BTW how high up the league ladder has Joseph Deacon achieved as a manager compared to Nigel Pearson? Just askin')

26 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I don't know him. He seems quite canny and I'd imagine he has always known that football club ownership is money-losing, but local prestige building, exercise for the vast majority of owners. We've bumped around the second tier for yonks now, but with parachute payments and FFP rules it's a tough step to take to progress. Much harder than it was prior to the PL era of TV millions.

For him, it is a hobby, that has taken a small percentage of his substantial fortune. Be interested in how much of his dosh from being 15% owner of Jordan's third largest bank has been invested in the Gas by Wally.  He was carried down Gloucester Road by the ecstatic Blue Few in 2016, think he's disappointed that you're being turned over by Accrington Stanley and have only three more points than we have, during a shit season for us? 

Face it, you're going nowhere, nor are we. But we're not sitting in B&Q seats and drinking out-of-date Fanta. 

Mr Al-Quidi Jnr is listed as being the owner of an 8.5% stake in AJIB worth £ 18.7 million.

But there is speculation over this having been pledged to cover the £ 22 million contributed to Rovers as capital and that no more will be forthcoming.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, bert tann said:

Mr Al-Quidi Jnr is listed as being the owner of an 8.5% stake in AJIB worth £ 18.7 million.

But there is speculation over this having been pledged to cover the £ 22 million contributed to Rovers as capital and that no more will be forthcoming.

Thanks Bert. I was accidentally bigging him up by having him at 15%. 

33 minutes ago, Ashton Hero said:

He's delivered you a stadium - wouldn't you prefer a half-decent football team? 

I’d argue he HAS delivered us a half-decent football team - a couple of seasons where we’ve been on nodding terms with the playoffs and some memorable cup nights. He hasn’t made us a decent team but that’s as much down to the decisions that have been made as opposed to financial backing (arguably hiring Johnson, certainly the Holden debacle).

Under Wael on the other hand - a man who we were assured would make the Gash the sixth richest team in England or whatever it was - the Gash are no further forward either on or off the pitch than they were under hated Higgs.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ashton Hero said:

But the key point is that there's no sense of direction, impetus or momentum. And in recent seasons, its been nodding terms from a very long distance. 

You are treading water. Your Lansdown life jacket will keep you afloat, but won't take you any further to where you want to go.  And what if it deflates?

Under Higgs, the Rovers were in the Conference. Under Wael, they are 8th in L1. 

You won’t get a throaty defence of Lansdown from me but trusty buyers are like hen’s teeth. We’ll be fine however it shakes out - thanks for your concern. We might have to sell players but we aren’t going to flog them to our local rivals for the equivalent of a packet of Fruit Pastilles and half a curly Wurly. 

Higgs took over when the Rent Boys were L1. They’re still L1 - and have gone down on his watch. For a man of unlimited wealth there’s been no rocket propulsion up the league structure. Whatever my frustrations with the BS3 regime I wouldn’t swap it for the set up the Rubbish North of the River have for all the tea in China.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ashton Hero said:

But the key point is that there's no sense of direction, impetus or momentum. And in recent seasons, its been nodding terms from a very long distance. 

You are treading water. Your Lansdown life jacket will keep you afloat, but won't take you any further to where you want to go.  And what if it deflates?

I'd argue we are at our natural level in the championship, you might say it's treading water, but as we all know parachute payments have made it very difficult to compete, so you need to spend a lot of ££££ to just stay afloat at this level, which is what we have done.  Rovers fans may scoff that SL has wasted millions and we haven't got anywhere, but some of the problems are that he spent loads before we had the infrastructure in place, then when we finally did have the decent ground etc he gave the ££££ to Ashton who didn't spend it wisely.  

If Rovers get promoted without improving the infrastructure then they will go back down, it's as simple as that.  They won't be able to generate the income required to compete. If Wael tries to compete then this will mean actually spending some of his supposed fortune for the first time, as he won't generate anything from match day revenue, and the academy isn't at the level required to find top players and sell them on, and that's when the problems will really start, as to get the decent players into a club which on paper is probably punching above their weight, especially in terms of stadium and training facilities, you need to pay top ££££ and then you will have players on big contracts you can't afford when you go down etc etc etc and you end up screwed financially.

Obviously the great thing about being a football supporter is the dream to play at the highest level, but these days that dream requires loads of £££££ to stand any chance.

Edited by Tinmans Love Child

8 hours ago, Ashton Hero said:

A quick question for you. If it wasn't for Lansdown's extensive investment, do you think you would be in a higher league than them?

I’ve covered this on here recently Saghead, but just for you…

Lansdowns Billions hasn’t prevented Torquay, Stevenage, Rochdale, Scunthorpe, Yeovil, Colchester, Crawley, Tranmere, Shrewsbury, Fleetwood, Chesterfield, Burton Albion, Wycombe, Northampton, Wrexham, Gillingham, Hartlepool and many more being on a par or above us in the League since the last time Rovers were.

So apart from being utterly shit, what’s your excuse now? ?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

image.thumb.png.aa5e8bc850b6d443b7bab2438a5f5c2d.png

I can answer that.

82/83….that’s the one season in the last 55 years that the Boca Juniors of Bristol have averaged higher home crowds than us (about 1k more iirc). The following season we averaged more than them and we were in a lower division ?

The ‘Peoples club’ ?

6 hours ago, Ashton Hero said:

We're all adults - so presumably we can interact without insults and keep it to good-humoured banter and witty exchanges. Rivalry is healthy but bitterness and bile are not.

Why didn’t you just come on here and be honest about who you support instead of this cringeworthy behaviour? 

You could’ve just asked all the dumb questions you want from the beginning instead of posting snidey comments pretending you’re one of us? 

Great way to start a Monday this ?

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ashton Hero said:

How wonderfully south Bristolian. Thank you. 

I’m from east Bristol sunshine. It’s true though. Typical gas , presuming something about someone . The Pearson you see in press conferences is not the one behind closed doors as many of his ex players will testify. The neck to even try & belittle him when your own manager is a woman beating thug is quite remarkable. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, Ashton Hero said:

The funny thing is . Apart from a couple of years in the early eighties we’ve always been the bigger club no matter who the owners have been . 

As other contributors to this thread have informed me, its actually natural for a city fan to take an interest in rovers affairs and vice-versa. 

Its unfortunate that there aren't more forums where fans of both clubs can interact and communicate, preferably without resorting to cheap and stupid insults, as you have done - I see educational standards and general standards of civility haven't improved in south Bristol since I last visited. 

But you still felt the need to lie about who you actually support to come on here . Fans of other clubs are welcome on here unlike the North Korean forum ran by your fans . 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ashton Hero said:

You really don’t understand how FFP in the championship works do you?

But then, why would you, having never experienced it.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, Ashton Hero said:

His approach to man management is to belittle and bully people - you can see this from his press conferences. If you are going to carry on like that, you need to be successful. Since leaving Leicester, Nigel's managerial career has been a litany of relegation dogfights and falling out with people. 

Your debt is a millstone around your neck. You were almost subject to a transfer embargo last season and you have to hope that your sellable assets retain value or it is likely you will go the way of Derby or even Portsmouth. 

First of all nobody apart from the players know what Pearson’s / Barton’s man management is like and depending on whether a player is playing regularly or not playing at all is likely to impact their response / thoughts. I’d suggest you look at Pearson towards Baker when he was paraded on the potency at half time. I’d also look at players like James & King who’ve come to city for Pearson. 
Barton is doing a good job at Rovers but would I want him at city - no chance. 
As for what happens when Lansdown eventually sells city - who knows. We could end up with a fake billionaire without a pot to piss in or we could be taken over and be be stronger due to it. Time will tell. But I’d rather have Pearson @ Lansdown at our club rather than Barton and Wally 

Werent you 8th in L1 with Higgs, at any time? You also finished 24th in L1 under Wael.

And that's your pride filled boast. ?

Can't wait for school to kick out. I'll check in later for more gift given laughs. 

Idiot Reaction GIF

1 hour ago, GreedyHarry said:

You really don’t understand how FFP in the championship works do you?

But then, why would you, having never experienced it.

This. Every ******* day.

Ask Wigan & Rotherham how easy it is to compete in The Championship, both automatically promoted from L1 last year & now scrapping for their lives at the bottom.

Most years 2 sides go straight back down, (Rotherham have 3 times in a row) it’s absolutely brutal.

Mind you, if you haven’t played at this level for 30 years why would you even have the first idea about it?

As for the stadium stuff I’m not sure a club playing in a tented village really wants to bring that up, but you have zero chance of competing without one that generates income on non match days, but again this is like explaining something about physics to a chimpanzee, being gas you don’t have a ******* clue, pal.

• Like 3

8th in league 1 i think your forgetting all the teams with games in hand

higgs and wael 7000to 9000 fans steve l 19000 to to 24000

higgs and weal 2 stadiums fit for the conference sl stadium fit for the prem with add ons to come

higgs and weal training ground fit for the downs sl 10m training ground better than alot of prem sides

higgs and weal bit part academy with no profit sl academy which has all ready made good profit on home grown talent with more to come

rovers asset arron collins 1m to 3m city asset alex scott 15m to 25m plus a few more

i could go on but whats the point you gasheads are in a world of your own

• Like 1

If we're "treading water" then you must be fully submerged, as you aren't "16 places below" us.  You're an entire division.

It won't happen this season but it is vaguely possible at some undefined point in the future Rovers will pay one of their fleeting visits to the Championship. They'll play teams with bigger crowds, better stadia, bigger budgets and endure the ridicule of a much wider range of fans, when they visit the Conference South styled Memorial Stadium.  Then, unable to compete, you'll be relegated. The second tier is a very different prospect these days than it was in the distant past when you were last here. There are international players in the sides of the yo-yo clubs earning more than the wage bill of the entire squad at Horfield.

And eventually, your "Gas for life" owner will stop pumping in the money you require to underwrite debt and you'll be up for sale. But with dilapidated facilities and not much support, you'll not be much of a marquee purchase for anyone with real money and ambition. 

So, the more interesting question is, how far will the Gas sink without the al-Qadi lifejacket. As leaky as that garment is, it's all that enables you to compete in the third tier. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 4