IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

12 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

If we're "treading water" then you must be fully submerged, as you aren't "16 places below" us.  You're an entire division.

It won't happen this season but it is vaguely possible at some undefined point in the future Rovers will pay one of their fleeting visits to the Championship. They'll play teams with bigger crowds, better stadia, bigger budgets and endure the ridicule of a much wider range of fans, when they visit the Conference South styled Memorial Stadium.  Then, unable to compete, you'll be relegated. The second tier is a very different prospect these days than it was in the distant past when you were last here. There are international players in the sides of the yo-yo clubs earning more than the wage bill of the entire squad at Horfield.

And eventually, your "Gas for life" owner will stop pumping in the money you require to underwrite debt and you'll be up for sale. But with dilapidated facilities and not much support, you'll not be much of a marquee purchase for anyone with real money and ambition. 

So, the more interesting question is, how far will the Gas sink without the al-Qadi lifejacket. As leaky as that garment is, it's all that enables you to compete in the third tier. 

Run out of ‘likes’ but this is spot on. ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ashton Hero said:

His approach to man management is to belittle and bully people - you can see this from his press conferences. If you are going to carry on like that, you need to be successful. Since leaving Leicester, Nigel's managerial career has been a litany of relegation dogfights and falling out with people. 

Your debt is a millstone around your neck. You were almost subject to a transfer embargo last season and you have to hope that your sellable assets retain value or it is likely you will go the way of Derby or even Portsmouth. 

I’m not sure what you expected him to achieve at Watford, as they were rock bottom when he took over, they beat Liverpool 3-0 under him & were outside the drop zone when they sacked him with 2 games to go.

Ask Nathan Baker what he’s like to work for, I get the feeling it won’t be what you want to think.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, TheReds said:

What was with Saint Joey walking off before the end of the match yesterday? Is it another "look at me" type action from him? Seems very bizarre, selfish and a bit disrespectful to everyone involved, but there doesn't seem to be any outrage for it (no questions from the interviewer after either, was he scared to ask)?

I misread "walking" and thought Joey had stooped to a new low.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

He was actually cleared by a court of law, in large part because his wife retracted her initial statement.

How many footballers and football fans have got caught up in incidents like this? Am I correct in recalling that former city players Orr, Partridge and Brooker also served time at her majesty's pleasure? 

I'll raise you David Pipe

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ashton Hero said:

We're all adults - so presumably we can interact without insults and keep it to good-humoured banter and witty exchanges. Rivalry is healthy but bitterness and bile are not.

I don't like a lot of what goes down on the official BRFC forum, where the moderators adopt a Stalinist line on any criticism of Wael or Barton. 

Lansdown has made a lot of mistakes with his money. From where I'm sitting, he has let his heart rule his head in the level of his investment. Others may not be so willing, so be careful for what you wish for. 

Adult? You've come onto a City forum, pretending to be a City fan, spent your time praising your thug of a manager and slating ours because he's 'not very nice in press conferences' and then tried telling us what we already know in that Lansdowns money should have returned more than a League Cup semi final, while your owner is giving Will Smith a Rovers shirt that he's probably using to wash his car with. 
You are have provided nothing good humoured or witty btw

9 hours ago, Ashton Hero said:

He's delivered you a stadium - wouldn't you prefer a half-decent football team? 

A team in the Championship for 8 consecutive seasons is the stuff of Rovers fans wet dreams. You'll be lucky if you stay up in League One for 8 years before revisiting League Two again. We've got two players who are individually worth more than your entire squad, players who have played in World Cups and won Premier Leagues, and play against similar players every week. So politely, don't come at us talking about half decent teams, you wouldn't know one if you saw one. We've got a game against a former Premier League winning team on Saturday, you worry about Wycombe Wanderers.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

He's delivered you a stadium - wouldn't you prefer a half-decent football team? 

You may have heard the old proverb of building a house of straw? No point in somehow getting a promotion by luck and then not being able to realistically stay there  

You won’t attract decent footballers to a club where they see little investment or a long term plan to build the infrastructure together with the right people, then slowly (too slow for many) you can transition - avoiding FFP, to really build a good team and hopefully hang onto to your local talent you’ve brought on through the academy set up to add to the mix.  

SL is supporting various sports, not just rugby and football, the plan is for a ‘Sporting Quarter’ to allow local talent to flourish and leaving a legacy for the entire City to be proud of. 
The next phase, to build a new home for Bristol Flyers is well underway as is the surrounding homes etc which will help sustain the business during non match days. 

Not getting close promotion is something 21 out of the 24 teams in the Championship have to live with. No one sets out to fail but you need a grasp on reality so you don’t feel entitled to a place in the top leagues like many other ‘big’ teams e.g. Derby have done. 

You’ll never attract another investor with serious cash and when Wael finally wakes up and realises he on the road to nowhere ? he’ll be off asap. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I can answer that.

82/83….that’s the one season in the last 55 years that the Boca Juniors of Bristol have averaged higher home crowds than us (about 1k more iirc). The following season we averaged more than them and we were in a lower division ?

The ‘Peoples club’ ?

And, of course, at that point we had reached the nadir in our history. Thus it took an exceptional episode for the Tote Scrotes to temporarily overtake City. :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

Ps why are you calling yourself Ashton Hero you whopper?

More to the point, why were you watching our Birmingham game? It seems that way going by your posting on the Birmingham match thread. Why didn't you watch your own team who have a fantastic manager and owner?

On 15/01/2023 at 11:09, Ashton Hero said:

Quick question - if Rovers are such a tinpot club, why do we spend so much time discussing them. including their most recent game with Accrington? Over 3000 pages is a little embarrassing TBH

If we were genuinely massive, as our players and fans used to claim ad nauseamwe would have bigger things to worry about.

Just saying. 

Over 3000 pages because almost on a daily basis the Gas provide us with side splitting material for us to ridicule with delight.

Hmmm....'Genuinely massive'? I don't ANY genuine City fans or players who would suggest or have suggested that we are a massive club? I do however know of many Gasheads who refer to their club as a big fish in a small pond and say that Gurt Ted's think that their club is massive and that they are 'arrogant'......which we're not. 'Ad nauseum'? Strange comment for a City fan to say about their own team?.....I'm sensing triggered Gashead breaks ranks in an attempt to halt the tide of the dustibin thread but who is about to be exposed and torn to shreds in every single argument....(rubbing hands with glee).......

18 hours ago, Ashton Hero said:

A quick question for you. If it wasn't for Lansdown's extensive investment, do you think you would be in a higher league than them?

Or, to put it differently, given the amount that Lansdown has invested in the club, is he not entitled to expect the gap (16 places) to be a lot, lot bigger?

Lansdown had aspirations for you to be a lot, lot bigger than you actually are. When he leaves, my assumption is that equilibrium will bring you back down again. 

I thought you were a genuine City fan for at least half a second.....oh well, it didn't take you long to expose that you were indeed a jealousy riddled triggered 'typical Sag' who when talking about City just can't hide their distain for even a millisecond. You absolute ******* belter!

18 hours ago, Ashton Hero said:

Who would you rather have a drink with? Barton is funny, a character and knows his football. Pearson is unfunny, unlikeable and a k*ob, and I have been told this by somebody who knows Vyner. 

You can tell that journalists like Barton, which is one of the reasons he gets so much press. 

Ask the lads on Joey's Stag Do if they enjoyed having a drink with him......or a nice stroll along the beach? I'll take a drink with Nige, cheers.

17 hours ago, Ashton Hero said:

As other contributors to this thread have informed me, its actually natural for a city fan to take an interest in rovers affairs and vice-versa. 

Its unfortunate that there aren't more forums where fans of both clubs can interact and communicate, preferably without resorting to cheap and stupid insults, as you have done - I see educational standards and general standards of civility haven't improved in south Bristol since I last visited. 

It would be nice if Gasheads could actually partake in banter without resulting to childish and violent outbursts when they get presented with facts vs delusion.

Unfortunately Gasheads can't take it and they bite....just like you my little tinpot saggie.

Thank you for proving exactly what we perceive Gasheads to be and providing us with endless gifts to move us closer to 4000 pages.

Hope you are enjoying getting roasted.

I can see Sags on AssChat literally dying with embarrassment at your participation on this thread. It would be wise of you not to mention to your Sag mates that you attempted to infiltrate, otherwise I fear that you might end up with some treatment saved for genuine 'Gurt Ted's'

E57C2B8C-CDCC-447F-98BB-9867A600B00C.thumb.jpeg.2b08492ad949b87b7bcc28dd7d18e453.jpeg

Edited by Gert Mare
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, TheReds said:

More to the point, why were you watching our Birmingham game? It seems that way going by your posting on the Birmingham match thread. Why didn't you watch your own team who have a fantastic manager and owner?

Because he was one of the 200,000 locked out who could not get a ticket, obviously. ;)

33 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

FairPlay and respect all getting their heads shaved for Nick Anderton and Joey’s getting his done by some lad in a City shirt

Gorringe was just interviewed on 5 live. All of them getting their heads shaved by a City fan, Terry the barber who has insisted upon wearing his City shirt. 

Terry, you must be enjoying every moment. Do us all a favour and let the clippers slip when you’re doing Barton’s and take one eyebrow off. Or his ear. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, alexukhc said:

FairPlay and respect all getting their heads shaved for Nick Anderton and Joey’s getting his done by some lad in a City shirt

Is that where the jail bird was going before their game ended on Saturday then?

Maybe he was practicing for watching a City match in the Dolman? ???⚪

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Gorringe was just interviewed on 5 live. All of them getting their heads shaved by a City fan, Terry the barber who has insisted upon wearing his City shirt. 

Terry, you must be enjoying every moment. Do us all a favour and let the clippers slip when you’re doing Barton’s and take one eyebrow off. Or his ear. 

I reckon Barton will look like a thug with a shaven head.