IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

25 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

Were there any indications that you were a City fan? I wouldn't take it personally - he really didn't like your club by the time he left. His celebrations after the JPT area final victory made that quite clear. 

At Rovers he came across as a difficult, but not unlikeable, character. I have the utmost admiration for him as a goalkeeper. 

Admiration. Aim high kid 

• Flames 1

27 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I had a Twitter debate with Phillips a couple of years back (I'm not on it now) where he got very upset that he hadn't been included in some City Legends event, the long and short of it is he felt he was a City Legend and I felt he wasn't!

I expect you are one in many that don't think he's near Legend status. 
If I'm in a good mood when asked, I'd say decent, but not much more.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

Phillips was an excellent shot stopper and organiser. Main weakness was crosses, but if he had overcome this he would have been a very good championship-level keeper. 

Also appears to have been a difficult character - left Rovers after challenging the management over the keeper training facilities and arrangements. Also left City after falling out with Gary Johnson, although who hasn't? 

He actually said this happened to him in a BBC interview on Points West. Hit from behind as well - cowardly stuff. 

Well like I said, I believe he was well treated by club and fans; as far as I could make out, his problem was his own inability to accept losing his place to a far better player. 

By the time Flapper had moved on to pastures inferior over at the Tinpottery, Adriano Basso (for it was he) had long established himself firmly as 'Bristol's number one', with Chris Weale as the revered 'Bristol's number two'.

Even after the histrionics, Phillips benefited from a generous testimonial, culminating in a well-attended game down at Clevedon.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Deluded Sag said:

Were there any indications that you were a City fan? I wouldn't take it personally - he really didn't like your club by the time he left. His celebrations after the JPT area final victory made that quite clear. 

At Rovers he came across as a difficult, but not unlikeable, character. I have the utmost admiration for him as a goalkeeper. 

Which probably tells you the standard of goalkeepers you've had over the years. Phillips was a decent Goalkeeper for mid to upper league one teams, but obviously lacking in several areas. We replaced him with someone who was a good Championship keeper who also lacked in several areas to get the step above. 

Not sure why anyone is really responding with vitriol to this stuff as the best he's got is a period of time when they were playing in Twerton and apparently good. A JPT win and having our League One 'Keeper from us when we didn't want him anymore.  I don't even remember Twerton because I was about 5, and no one under the age of 30 can really remember playing them in the league. It's laughable really. 

3 hours ago, Deluded Sag said:

Also left City after falling out with Gary Johnson, although who hasn't? 

Lee Johnson.

4 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

Keepers of the standard of Nigel Martyn? Basso was also grossly overrated - did absolutely nothing after C*ty. Martyn played for England and was recognized as one of the best keepers in the PL. 

I imagine some of your older contemporaries also wish they couldn't remember Twerton. C*ty took some real hammerings there and the 1989/90 season is still a source of real and obvious distress and even trauma for them. 

I’m giving you more respect than you deserve here, but I don’t think anyone here will argue that Martyn is probably the best keeper to have played for a Bristol club in the last 30 years. Shit moustache, excellent keeper. Basso was an example of player, club and time all fitting perfectly. It’s happened with us, it’s happened with you on multiple players. I’m sure, for example, Tom Nichols never hit heights elsewhere that he did with you. Players sometimes move on and can’t hit those heights again - to not acknowledge that is to not realise a lot of football is psychological.

However, as someone who was at Twerton in 1990 I can assure you I’m well over it as are practically all city fans. To parallel - I got blown out by a girl I fancied in 1990. I got married to a better looking and all round better person since. I see the girl sometimes and she’s still wallowing around saying how she was all that 33 years ago. In reality, she’s lost her teeth, looks ropey and her glory days are long gone. The question is, why would I care when my life has moved on and is demonstrably better than hers by every metric? It’s not a trauma, I just feel sorry for her (and by extension, you)

• Like 9
  • Flames 4
  • Robin 1

9 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

Keepers of the standard of Nigel Martyn? Basso was also grossly overrated - did absolutely nothing after C*ty. Martyn played for England and was recognized as one of the best keepers in the PL. 

I imagine some of your older contemporaries also wish they couldn't remember Twerton. C*ty took some real hammerings there and the 1989/90 season is still a source of real and obvious distress and even trauma for them. 

It's so long ago, that I barely remember when your team were a threat - yet alone a rival - to us.

Still, ancient history is all you have to cling on to, what with your laughable ground, poor support and constant embarrassments.

If you think Steve Phillips is any way a comparable keeper to Adriano Basso, it shows you know as little about the game as most of your fellow 15ers:  the vast majority of whom, haven't attended a Rovers game for years. 

Don't cry too much though about your team's constant abject failure and patheticness. Give this disc a spin:

Mind The Gap 5 – The Wideboys – DNR Vinyl

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

During your spell as a non league club, I seem to remember you lost 2-0 to Bath City in the FA Trophy.  Was that at Trumpton as well?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

Trumpton wasn’t a happy hunting ground for us although the final visit there evokes fond memories when our fourth goes in and the commentator says “the Rovers fans are leaving in droves”.

But then you decamped to the Pisspoorial Mound and we won there three times in a calendar year.

20 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

Er, yeah of course, we are all distressed by a football match 32 years ago involving a team that has given us so much humour since. It is as if an old comedy genius say, for example, The Two Ronnie's, cracked a bad joke in 1989 and we haven't been the same since. No, all the other great laughs they gave us made up for it.

I am not sure why you are still here, you keep saying 'it's only a game' or something then try to make out there is trauma from 1989.

Look, by all means support Rovers, they are your team, fine, no problem with that. Get them promoted, build a new stadium, get a manager who has earned some respect. When you have those boxes ticked (these things take time), you will have fair and good reason to try and be a noisy neighbour. Until then, to wind us up will be like trying to push water up a hill.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

Martyn was a quality 'keeper no arguments there. Rovers have plenty of decent players over the years. You were focused on Phillips as if you got one over us, but it's never been a big deal as we got the better 'keeper and moved on. Basso reached his peak with us and left at the age of 33 irc so I'm not surprised he didn't do much after. 

I'm aware of our record at Twerton, but I'm in my mid-30's and I can't remember any of it. Think about that for a second. 

I do have some good memories of games against Rovers and miss the derbys to an extent. Mad to think that kids these days don't have any awareness of them. You really are grasping at straws. 

• Like 2

I assume the reason that our @Deluded Sag friend feels the need, and indeed has the ability, to recall these little victories is because they have been so few and far between over the years.

As this shows, they have a 27.1% win rate over us compared to our 45.79%. It's no wonder we have more difficulty in recalling all our victories over the years.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/bristol-city/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Bristol Rovers/

3 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

I pointed out that he had no great affection for your club

As it has already been pointed out, the bloke was just bitter and deluded who thought he was the number 1 and should never be dropped. Imagine my shock that he had no great affection for the club he played for - you do realise that there will be many players at every club in the land who are in the same situation who have no affection to the club they play for?

I wonder how many players have actual affection for the tinpot outfit associated with your lot? Everything done on the cheap, ground is an absolute state and falling apart, training facilities, Santas Grotto, Fanzone etc etc, and to top it off it's ran by another liar who happily let people believe he was some sort of billionaire, he could somehow have bought clubs in the Premier League but chose your lot (after trying to buy Mansfield first wasn't it) and he would get you a new stadium. Instead you put out actual news stories to tell people you've had some carpets cleaned and "installed" more new stands that were bought from Go Outdoors. Then you actually carry this bloke down Gloucester Road like he's some sort of Messiah to show the World exactly how pathetic you are. 

Still, at least you beat us 30 years ago out Twerton or something, and some ex player from years ago doesn't have affection for us. Maybe look what you've actually achieved in those 30 years, a stolen Stadium that is falling apart with tents for stands and not got a pot to piss in, and a record spending fee on a player some 30 years ago. 

And you probably still wonder why this thread exists, self awareness maybe isn't your strong point is it. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 5
  • Flames 6

8 minutes ago, TheReds said:

As it has already been pointed out, the bloke was just bitter and deluded who thought he was the number 1 and should never be dropped. Imagine my shock that he had no great affection for the club he played for - you do realise that there will be many players at every club in the land who are in the same situation who have no affection to the club they play for?

I wonder how many players have actual affection for the tinpot outfit associated with your lot? Everything done on the cheap, ground is an absolute state and falling apart, training facilities, Santas Grotto, Fanzone etc etc, and to top it off it's ran by another liar who happily let people believe he was some sort of billionaire, he could somehow have bought clubs in the Premier League but chose your lot (after trying to buy Mansfield first wasn't it) and he would get you a new stadium. Instead you put out actual news stories to tell people you've had some carpets cleaned and "installed" more new stands that were bought from Go Outdoors. Then you actually carry this bloke down Gloucester Road like he's some sort of Messiah to show the World exactly how pathetic you are. 

Still, at least you beat us 30 years ago out Twerton or something, and some ex player from years ago doesn't have affection for us. Maybe look what you've actually achieved in those 30 years, a stolen Stadium that is falling apart with tents for stands and not got a pot to piss in, and a record spending fee on a player some 30 years ago. 

And you probably still wonder why this thread exists, self awareness maybe isn't your strong point is it. 

Yea so stick that in yer pipe and smoke it you deluded gas imbecile

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I assume the reason that our @Deluded Sag friend feels the need, and indeed has the ability, to recall these little victories is because they have been so few and far between over the years.

As this shows, they have a 27.1% win rate over us compared to our 45.79%. It's no wonder we have more difficulty in recalling all our victories over the years.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/bristol-city/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Bristol Rovers/

This deluded sag just typifies their pathetic fanbase.  Although they have piss poor crowds, all their efforts go into infesting social media with their drivel, rather than actually supporting their club.

I’ve seen a load of stuff on Facebook recently, where they just blitz anything related to City There was even a link yesterday for a job fair at the Gate, which just had a photo of the stadium as the venue, with no mention of the club and was just an advert for the fair.  

The comments section was completely infested by bitter sags, with the only reference to jobs being, they’d rather be unemployed than go to a job fair at the Gate!

They have the cheek to claim they aren’t obsessed with us, but still manage to find something as obscure as a job fair to spout their shit.  They really seem desperate to give their pathetic little tinpot club some kind of relevance, but are failing dismally.

Total bunch of arseholes and would love to see them and their shite club crash and burn.

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

18 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

This deluded sag just typifies their pathetic fanbase.  Although they have piss poor crowds, all their efforts go into infesting social media with their drivel, rather than actually supporting their club.

I’ve seen a load of stuff on Facebook recently, where they just blitz anything related to City There was even a link yesterday for a job fair at the Gate, which just had a photo of the stadium as the venue, with no mention of the club and was just an advert for the fair.  

The comments section was completely infested by bitter sags, with the only reference to jobs being, they’d rather be unemployed than go to a job fair at the Gate!

They have the cheek to claim they aren’t obsessed with us, but still manage to find something as obscure as a job fair to spout their shit.  They really seem desperate to give their pathetic little tinpot club some kind of relevance, but are failing dismally.

Total bunch of arseholes and would love to see them and their shite club crash and burn.

Plenty of them came to get their covid jabs at the Gate though!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Plenty of them came to get their covid jabs at the Gate though!!

Indeed Italian, but not all! I heard of a couple who deliberately sidestepped getting their jab at AG. They would rather inconvenience themselves and potentially put their health at risk than visit our magnificent stadium in person.

I suppose actually seeing the reality of "Trashton", and having to admit "it's alright I suppose" would be too much for some of the Blue Few.

1 hour ago, Deluded Sag said:

he very much gave the impression he felt he had got one over you, and Johnson in particular.

He gave the impression that being dumped by City hurt him a lot. Do you like the girl/boy who broke your heart? 

I wouldn’t have been surprised to see him grab a microphone and belt out ‘I will survive’ in the centre circle.

Basso was Championship, Phillips was always going to be Div3/Div4 and, unlike Matty Taylor, never experienced a higher division after crossing the divide.

8 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

Gary Johnson actually made it clear that Basso was purchased as competition for Phillips, giving the impression that he still had a future at the club when he chose to leave. Phillips also initiated his move out of the club. 

Indeed he did. He didn't want to join your poxy club if he could help it though...

In the summer of 2006, Phillips moved across the city to bitter rivals Bristol Rovers F.C. This was after Phillips made a "come and get me" plea to Swindon Town manager Dennis Wise through ex-City teammate Lee Peacock. Wise chose to pursue Petr Brezovan instead.

Edited by glynriley
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

........ the club and its ethos. 

?

Please explain which ethos that is, the plucky underdog or the massive top 6 club? It seems to change from week to week.

Honestly, I am trying to do you a favour here, just stick with underdog. The Boca Juniors tag is too much of an open goal on here.

Edited by Open End Numb Legs
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

?

Please explain which ethos that is, the plucky underdog or the massive top 6 club? It seems to change from week to week.

Honestly, I am trying to do you a favour here, just stick with underdog. The Boca Juniors tag is too much of an open goal on here.

I agree, they are more own goals than open goals though, no real effort required.

• Like 1