IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This tallies with what I was told in January, that Conygar had told Rovers that they had to let them know this year whether they wanted to be involved in the site, or not. 

Conygar are obviously keen to progress things, and have a number of viable development options for the site. One of which includes a new stadium.

The option agreement will apply a bit of time pressure to Rovers and other potential stakeholders. It'll flush out the timewasters, one of whom could certainly be Rovers; as their statement doesn't say much. 

A one year option is interesting, as there's no way they'll get planning permission through in Bristol in that time period. Yes, they can be extended, but one year feels a little light and non-committal for such a large development site. 

Probably more money working with Live Nation or similar, build a 4,000-ish indoor arena type venue, and milk the new student development for bundles every night of the week as they play host to those who bother a hit-parade on a number of occasions, the kick-back on that would be worth more than a few Fewers turning up 22 time a year to annoy people. 

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The option agreement will apply a bit of time pressure to Rovers and other potential stakeholders. It'll flush out the timewasters, one of whom could certainly be Rovers; as their statement doesn't say much. 

And then cue Wael: `The options didn`t stack up` `Cost increases due to Covid/war in Ukraine/cost of living/energy prices make it no longer viable` blah, blah, blah and the dribblers will lap it up and blame everyone but their skint, amateur ownership for it not happening.

Seen it all before many times.

7 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

And then cue Wael: `The options didn`t stack up` `Cost increases due to Covid/war in Ukraine/cost of living/energy prices make it no longer viable` blah, blah, blah and the dribblers will lap it up and blame everyone but their skint, amateur ownership for it not happening.

Seen it all before many times.

The real danger here, is that when it all goes pear shaped and doesn't happen, who can the Fewers blame it on?

It was one thing moving half a dozen Sainsbury's basic eggs to a different shelf, but it's an altogether different proposition deciding that any Fewer who cares will have to boycott Nottingham for the foreseeable. 

49 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I'm not about to plough through their thread but as far as I remember the proposed deal was that Conygar bought the Fruit Market and then built them a, presumably freehold, ground with parking in exchange for the Memoral Stadium and surrounding grounds which Conygar will develop.

It may happen, it may not.  Such complicated developments on brown field sites tend to have fairly fine financial margins and they may end up wanting a balancing payment from Rovers.

Edit: part of my job used to be helping out on the financial side of complex developments, including land swaps and sales, and it could take five years or more before the first demolition crews moved in.

If this took another five years or more to begin to materialise I would not be surprised, or with the new higher interest rates and house prices (and hence profits) falling it may be put on hold.

The key feature to note is that Conygar has not bought the site, it has bought an option to buy the site.  Typically these are extended several times over.

Now it needs to make the funding work.

So this is like one of those auctions that you have to pay beforehand to bid?

Essentially it means diddly squat then?

• Like 1

Ive lost count at the amount of times Rovers fans have gone nuts on news about getting a new stadium. Every time without fail the majority of them lap it up and a few intelligent ones realise that its not confirmed anything. 

Still good luck to them they need it to move on from being a leagur 1 and 2 yoyo club.

• Like 2

Just now, Open End Numb Legs said:

'The journey begins......'

When my employers used to say that, it was an analogy for 'things are going to be difficult at work for a while'.

The trick here for the developers is to judge whether including a football stadium would detract from the value of other options they have for the land.

Exactly. Sounds as if they'll be building homes there.

When you go and look for a home what questions do you ask.

What are the local medical facilities like, is there a doctors nearby?

Oh, I quite like to eat, wonder if there are any shops close?

After a long week in work, nothing would help me relax more in to the weekend than a couple of pints of relaxation-juice in a pub, I hope there are a couple of pubs or bars as part of this development.

Or, do you ask....

I'm being asked to pay a premium for some built-to-a-price box-ticking box, I HOPE THERE IS A NEW FOOTBALL STADIUM on my doorstep. There is? Oh, well allow me to revise my offer down by about 20%. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

'The journey begins......'

When my employers used to say that, it was an analogy for 'things are going to be difficult at work for a while'.

The trick here for the developers is to judge whether including a football stadium would detract from the value of other options they have for the land.

“The journey begins”. I used to get that whilst at work together with “It’s a development opportunity” or “It’s an exciting challenge” or “It’s a game changer”. I always knew there was a one word that summed it up - bullsh*t

2 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I hate to say I told you so….. but I told you you all months ago that Rovers new stadium will be at the fruit market. 

With all due respect Spoons, as some far more knowledgeable posters than I have pointed out this news isn't exactly saying that...

47 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This tallies with what I was told in January, that Conygar had told Rovers that they had to let them know this year whether they wanted to be involved in the site, or not. 

Conygar are obviously keen to progress things, and have a number of viable development options for the site. One of which includes a new stadium.

A one year option is interesting, as there's no way they'll get planning permission through in Bristol in that time period. Yes, they can be extended, but one year feels a little light and non-committal for such a large development site. 

Also worth pointing out we are now just over a year away from the end of the Mayoral model in Bristol.

After this time (& post the new Council elections in May ‘24) everything will be done via a committee system.

Whatever you think of the current incumbent it is unarguable that the new system will slow decision making down, and that’s before you get to the high probability of a Green majority council in the city, too.

The development of what was originally proposed to be the arena & surrounding area has just started but although they can try to portray this as environmentally friendly due to its proximity to the railway station, there is a lot of work to be done before they even get to a starting point here, no matter how excited their friends in the media might be at present.

59 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That may be my fault Will. Re-reading the wording of their press release (which is more contract than easy reading) I think the option lapses in 1 year only if they're yet to even lodge a planning application (i.e. have done nothing to progress their interest). Presumably if they get a planning application in, then the option extends in kind or for some other duration greater than 1 year.

As you say the PR is also explicit that they are exploring a number of options for the land AND the wording (given how precise it has set out to be - they are a PLC) makes clear they will only acquire if they have permission for all of those options. The room to walk away is significant and suggests they value the land only if they can guarantee several things they can do with it.

That isn't a ringing endorsement for a stadium being essential.

Edited by Olé
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

According to the Post, the requirement is that planning permission be applied for within a year, rather than granted within a year. That is a much less difficult target.

7 minutes ago, weeble said:

According to the Post, the requirement is that planning permission be applied for within a year, rather than granted within a year. That is a much less difficult target.

Still doesn't require them to buy the land, it just extends the option.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Ironic in their video part of the commentary mentions how important it was they were moving to the Mem in 'Rovers heartland', yet are looking to move into Bris/Totterdown ?

Where is their “heartland” these days?

Lockleaze? Fishponds?

Genuinely have no idea.

Certainly isn’t anywhere near the fruit market, as you say that’s Totterdown, they won’t have too many fans south of the river.

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Lockleaze? Fishponds?

Genuinely have no idea.

Certainly isn’t anywhere near the fruit market, as you say that’s Totterdown, they won’t have too many fans south of the river.

Doesn't really matter where their heartland is, unless they live within walking distance of this proposed new site, they'll have next to no chance of getting to a Tuesday night game! The roads around there are double-busy from about 5pm until 7pm - and they'll have to encounter the clean-air-zone (probably). 

• Like 2

On 04/04/2023 at 20:24, redsquirrel said:

is that the same stretch that runs up the back of the dogs home? if so, when i worked at mototech, on a hot day at low tide ,it used to stink

Yeah, by Totterdown bridge where they have wonderful views of the recycling and waste depots.

26 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Lockleaze? Fishponds?

Genuinely have no idea.

It’s more St Phillips than Totterdown, but still closer to a lot of City fans than their lot.

• Thanks 1