IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

25 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

................unless, of course, he's any good and we got him for free "!

It will certainly be interesting to see how Wael deals with that one, my bet was that they would say Brown wasn't employed by us at the time of the offence, although seemingly they have gone for the Dominic Cummings/Boris Johnson approach of 'delete, pretend it never happened and everyone will forget about it soon enough'

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

If you mean do the actions of any individuals have a bearing on my support for Rovers, then no . Does that mean I support or condone the actions of those individuals, that's a no as well. I suspect that am no different to 99% of football fans of any club in that respect.

Personally, I doubt the 99%.

We all see club shirts year round, including teams that are relegated, that is the game. You respect that support. It doesn't feel quite the same when a club has gained a reputation for controversy as it kind of associates the wearer with whatever is going on.

As an example, if the England cricket team took some sandpaper onto the pitch to rough up the ball, I would feel embarrassed to support them.

If a rugby team took a vial of fake blood onto the pitch, same applies.

Not direct comparisons, but hopefully you see my point.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Personally, I doubt the 99%.

We all see club shirts year round, including teams that are relegated, that is the game. You respect that support. It doesn't feel quite the same when a club has gained a reputation for controversy as it kind of associates the wearer with whatever is going on.

As an example, if the England cricket team took some sandpaper onto the pitch to rough up the ball, I would feel embarrassed to support them.

If a rugby team took a vial of fake blood onto the pitch, same applies.

Not direct comparisons, but hopefully you see my point.

I do see your point, I just don't agree with your boundaries . Do you mind if I ask your age? I just wondered if there is anything in the history of your club that has made you consider stopping your support?

27 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I don't have and am not trying to make any case. 

But you do make a well argued case about the treatment of footballers compared to others. Whether or not I agree with somebody I like to acknowledge a well argued post.

The point I dispute is that we may never know the circumstances when they were put before the court.

Anyway let's leave it there. Carry on posting here, at least you know you won't be be banned just for being a Gashead!?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Me personally if you hit a woman you’re a *** end of. Rovers City doesn’t matter. But a quote from Wally regarding the thug you have in charge was along the lines of 

but club president Wael Al Qadi wrote in an open letter that Rovers stood “firmly against any form of violence” and that “any individual that is found guilty of any such offences will be dismissed immediately”.

Well you’re new guy has been found guilty, but hey maybe you’re owner has had a change of heart.

They get a top scorer ,but if he goes down they cancel his contract, don't cost them **** all ! 

They aught to change their motto to ........................

quid pro nihilo        

( something for nothing )

13 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I do see your point, I just don't agree with your boundaries . Do you mind if I ask your age? I just wondered if there is anything in the history of your club that has made you consider stopping your support?

No comment! Except I was a youth when the consecutive relegations happened and I really struggled with that.

Being a lot older now I would be able to differentiate bad form on the pitch from something external.

That's something that age hopefully gives us - better judgement. I despise pre planned cheating like the sandpaper and fake blood. In this case Rovers have made a conscious decision, presumably a committee consensus, to take this player on. It could pay off with goals but at a cost off the pitch. Their choice.

Just now, Open End Numb Legs said:

No comment! Except I was a youth when the consecutive relegations happened and I really struggled with that.

Being a lot older now I would be able to differentiate bad form on the pitch from something external.

That's something that age hopefully gives us - better judgement. I despise pre planned cheating like the sandpaper and fake blood. In this case Rovers have made a conscious decision, presumably a committee consensus, to take this player on. It could pay off with goals but at a cost off the pitch. Their choice.

Okay, probably a similar age to me then. You could call the signing of Brown a lot of things,  but it certainly isn't pre planned cheating. FWIW , I found it odd that Rovers didn't wait for the outcome of the case before making a decision. I assume they were very confident of a non custodial sentence.

Just now, Miah Dennehy said:

Okay, probably a similar age to me then. You could call the signing of Brown a lot of things,  but it certainly isn't pre planned cheating. FWIW , I found it odd that Rovers didn't wait for the outcome of the case before making a decision. I assume they were very confident of a non custodial sentence.

Yes, my examples were to show an element of bad decisions in slow time compared to flash points.

I think a custodial sentence is irrelevant, it is the reputational damage which is more relevant.

Think of club sponsors, back room employees or the handy man volunteers. More to a football club than the players, culture and respect takes good leadership.

2 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

I recall Wayne Rooney wearing a hi-vis and doing some community work.

If it's good enough for him, then it is certainly good enough for this sag "nobody".

It’s all bollocks I remember that time I got drunk over 53467325773377732x and having 13years on said player I never once spat on a girl nor attacked one either ? absolute shambles

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SirColinOfMansfield said:

A lot of those headlines scream " Bristol Rovers STAR"      He hasn't kick ed a ball (or woman) for them yet !  He might be the biggest load of crap :fingerscrossed: But on that point, IF he hadn't gone out that night and had stayed in like a good little boy, judging by the first half of the season there would have been no way the Slags could have afforded him...........what, at least three Tilsons!  It's an ill wind etc .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Well he won't be the last if society imposes lenient penalties and football clubs turn a blind eye - the whole point of deterrent is lost. What stops another player going out tonight and doing the same if they think it will just cost them a few £k?

According to Gaschat - 'We will rehabilitate him, we have done nothing wrong' etc. Maybe not but if that is how they want to be associated then they should expect a moral backlash too.

Technically and legally ok, morally and reputation wise - terrible news for the club and genuine fans.

For me the way back for this player is to put all his spare time into charitable and community work. It won't be good enough to just be a goal scoring hero. 

I recall Gaschat being VERY pious when we signed Danny Simpson. 

28 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I see that Brown has made a statement claiming there was a racial element to the altercation, if that was the case surely the women involved would have been up in court themselves>

Strange he didn’t include it in his defence then?

Or would that be because he’d have to prove it?

• Like 1

They really are exceptional

"There is one thing that has been overlooked in the report it said the argument started with the doormen and then the women got involved.
If the women hadn't got involved none of this would have happened I think there's a lot more to this than meets the eye.
"

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

"There is one thing that has been overlooked in the report it said the argument started with the doormen and then the women got involved.
If the women hadn't got involved none of this would have happened I think there's a lot more to this than meets the eye.
"

Ah, good old victim blaming.

And at the risk of repeating myself, if there was other evidence in his favour his lawyer would have put it before the court. So the speculation that there is stuff that doesn't meet the eye is just another attempt to play down his actions.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

"........ I think there's a lot more to this than meets the eye."

From the court reports the only thing that met the eye was a slap from his hand unfortunately.

There is always a back story to a headline, a pro sports person shouldn't really have been there at that time of day or that drunk. How far do you wind it back?

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I don't go on it, but I'd imagine if you looked back, what you would find is that some posters were very pious, and that will always be the case as it is with every other form of social media.

Very true Miah, but it contrasts with the rather more conciliatory attitude taken towards Mr Brown. 

1 hour ago, BCFC11 said:

Some of the comments on here are astounding, but coming from them it comes as no surprise.

https://gaschat.co.uk/thread/21152/jevani-brown-incoming-signed?page=38

Well, I think the tone is slightly better now than when I looked earlier, good to see some Rovers fans are not prepared to listen to excuses. I hope their club listens to them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

"

This is what many of them have become.

What a state!

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

Ah, good old victim blaming.

If you remember, Rovers have already stated publicly in the past that assaulting women is apparently a ‘victimless crime’….can’t be accused of victim blaming if there’s no victim.

5 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

I hope their club listens to them.

Hahahaha ?

The club clearly doesn’t give a shit.

• Like 3