IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Isn't it about more than tax loopholes though ?

There are bread riots in Jordan, tens of thousands are living in squalor in refugee camps and the government has just passed a law allowing them to imprison those who protest about corruption amongst the country's elite.

So in these circumstances wouldn't the supporters of an upstanding Jordanian citizen who has chosen to spend £30 million on a third division football club in a faraway land while his fellow countrymen starve be best advised to keep quiet about it ? 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

You do realise your own owner uses the exact same tax loopholes for your club, right? You realise that right?

I was referring more to Lansdown's business activities, not his running of the club. You are presumably aware that capitalism in the Arab world is very different from Anglo-Saxon capitalism. It is more old-fashioned, based on family ties (hence why Wael and his brother were originally involved) and has a stronger sense of social obligation. 

Its interesting that City fans don't have more to say about the fact that their 'local businessman' owner resides in a tax haven...

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

Its funny - when I hear you lot to us as 'tinpot', I only have to think back just over two decades, when the bassist/drummer of Bros (sorry, genuinely can't remember/care), was your chairman. For those less senior, Bros have a strong claim to be one of the worst UK bands of all time, and I was genuinely embarrassed for your club and its fanbase. At the time we were being run by the Dunfords - a solid, decent and unstated chairmanship. 

Then you met Steve Lansdown, a leading practitioner of Anglo-Saxon vulture capitalism, and the rest is history. 

Your lack of awareness and detachment from reality are actually quite endearing. 

Scott Davidson, like the Dunfords, was/is a respected and successful local business man. As a sideline, he also happens to be a very talented session musician (keyboard player, by the way) who has worked with some incredible artists like the Pet Shop Boys, as well as some of lesser repute (they all pay good money though!). 

I'm pretty sure Davidson's wealth was considerably greater than the Dunfords', though in business terms, Steve Lansdown is in a different stratosphere than any of the aforementioned, or than the new Rovers chap. 

I hope this clarifies. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

The essential difference is legal, not moral. Legality and morality are often equated with each other but are not the same thing.

Yeah, get that. But I still have a problem with the moral equivalence between something that’s legal and something that’s illegal.

Do you class people maximising their expenses in order to avoid paying tax as tax avoidance? As I asked above, do you consider people maximising their benefit income as equivalent to benefit fraud?

I just don’t think that equivalence stacks up. 

2 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

You are clearly of limited intelligence, but I'm guessing you are aware that people have been prosecuted over making false claims on the Internet? I would suggest that you delete that very quickly. 

You still haven’t provided any stats showing charlton having a bigger attendance than city last season ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hot Air said:

You are clearly of limited intelligence, but I'm guessing you are aware that people have been prosecuted over making false claims on the Internet? I would suggest that you delete that very quickly. 

Yes, that paragon of truth, Henbury s*g was interviewed by the police for making up stories about disabled people being beaten up at Ashton Gate and it being ignored by the club.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bert tann said:

Isn't it about more than tax loopholes though ?

There are bread riots in Jordan, tens of thousands are living in squalor in refugee camps and the government has just passed a law allowing them to imprison those who protest about corruption amongst the country's elite.

So in these circumstances wouldn't the supporters of an upstanding Jordanian citizen who has chosen to spend £30 million on a third division football club in a faraway land while his fellow countrymen starve be best advised to keep quiet about it ? 

By Arab standards, Jordan is relatively democratic, free and prosperous. If you trying to shoehorn some sort of comparison between Wael's backing of Rovers and the Saudi bankrolling of Newcastle, then you are misguided and misinformed. 

People are malnourished and lack food in the UK. Are you suggesting that countries that receive money from UK investors should reconsider? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

By Arab standards, Jordan is relatively democratic, free and prosperous. If you trying to shoehorn some sort of comparison between Wael's backing of Rovers and the Saudi bankrolling of Newcastle, then you are misguided and misinformed. 

People are malnourished and lack food in the UK. Are you suggesting that countries that receive money from UK investors should reconsider? 

You mean more democratic, free and prosperous than Kuwait ?

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Your lack of awareness and detachment from reality are actually quite endearing. 

Scott Davidson, like the Dunfords, was/is a respected and successful local business man. As a sideline, he also happens to be a very talented session musician (keyboard player, by the way) who has worked with some incredible artists like the Pet Shop Boys, as well as some of lesser repute (they all pay good money though!). 

I'm pretty sure Davidson's wealth was considerably greater than the Dunfords', though in business terms, Steve Lansdown is in a different stratosphere than any of the aforementioned, or than the new Rovers chap. 

I hope this clarifies. 

I'm very happy to hear he 'redeemed' himself by making credible music with actual musicians. However, for most observers, he will always be the 'drummer from Bros'. 

Fame is both a blessing and curse.

32 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

And then straight back down again after finishing rock bottom of the championship. 

But we have gone off track - the essential point is that you were 'tinpot' relatively recently. In 1982, when you almost went bust because you could not manage your financial affairs (say what you like about us, we pay our creditors and don't rely on charity from our players), and when the drummer of Bros was your chairman. 

But it was certainly more fun, wasn't it? Professionalism has certainly come with a price for you. 

Imagine that feeling of Championship football. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hot Air said:

In the Arab world, Kuwait is also relatively free and democratic, which of course isn't the same as saying it is free and democratic. 

Any particular reason you've ignored the several posts correcting you on attendances?

At least 3 have pulled you up on it, and as I typed this you're actively posting on here, so no excuse for you to not answer

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

I'm very happy to hear he 'redeemed' himself by making credible music with actual musicians. However, for most observers, he will always be the 'drummer from Bros'. 

Seeing as it has already been pointed out he was a keyboard player he’ll never be that.

By the way to answer your question about our owner & his tax affairs, I genuinely don’t give a ****.

I am happy to criticise his choice of managers on occasion but he earned the money, has done loads for Bristol’s economy & is entitled to live where he likes & if that’s Guernsey it is his business & no one else’s.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 8

11 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

You still haven’t provided any stats showing charlton having a bigger attendance than city last season ? 

I can't be right on everything. I wasn't referring to averages, and accidentally referred to the 2021-22 figures, not those from last season.

Last season is actually a very bad guide, because they underachieved massively. 

Note that I was also referring to individual games, not the average.

See here: Charlton Athletic | Home Attendances | 2021-2022 | Football Web Pages

Two attendances in excess of 26,000. 

• Haha 11
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

I can't be right on everything. I wasn't referring to averages, and accidentally referred to the 2021-22 figures, not those from last season.

Last season is actually a very bad guide, because they underachieved massively. 

Note that I was also referring to individual games, not the average.

See here: Charlton Athletic | Home Attendances | 2021-2022 | Football Web Pages

Two attendances in excess of 26,000. 

You arent right on anything! Worryingly all gas heads are like you. Deluded *** womble

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

It is more old-fashioned, based on family ties (hence why Wael and his brother were originally involved) and has a stronger sense of social obligation. 

Do you think crimes against women should be covered under ‘social obligation’? Clearly your president doesn’t think so

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3

12 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

Oh do keep up, dear. He's never, for anyone, been the drummer from Bros, just a successful businessman and freelance keyboard player. 

FFS we've talked about this! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Seeing as it has already been pointed out he was a keyboard player he’ll never be that.

By the way to answer your question about our owner & his tax affairs, I genuinely don’t give a ****.

I am happy to criticise his choice of managers on occasion but he earned the money, has done loads for Bristol’s economy & is entitled to live where he likes & if that’s Guernsey it is his business & no one else’s.

Again, it doesn't detract from the actual point - you weren't always the slick, professionalized outfit that you currently aspire to be, and were actually quite embarrassingly small-time and, dare I say it, 'tinpot'. 

I fully understand your position. However, are you equally non-judgemental on the Saudi takeover of Newcastle? Like Lansdown, the Saudis have earnt their money,  invested in the economy and are fully entitled to adopt their own preferred financial arrangements? 

51 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

I wouldn't use that specific term, but I'm presuming that Guernsey primarily appeals as a way of working around legal obligations related to tax? 

All perfectly legal of course. However, its worth remembering that a number of celebrities previously engaged in similar schemes insisted on paying their taxes in full after being subject to public pressure. If City fans haven't done this already, perhaps they could take a lead in this regard? 

For the record, my view is that there is no moral distinction between tax avoidance and benefit fraud. 

You do know where wallys business Dwayne sports is listed I suppose ?

Stop avoiding the fact youve lied  about ours & charltons attendances last season. 
Also why after a few games of a new season you come on here releasing your inferiority complex on us  ??? 

Just now, Hot Air said:

Again, it doesn't detract from the actual point - you weren't always the slick, professionalized outfit that you currently aspire to be, and were actually quite embarrassingly small-time and, dare I say it, 'tinpot'. 

I fully understand your position. However, are you equally non-judgemental on the Saudi takeover of Newcastle? Like Lansdown, the Saudis have earnt their money,  invested in the economy and are fully entitled to adopt their own preferred financial arrangements? 

Chill out mate, life’s a bitch and then you die, you’re wasting too much energy on bitterness and envy