IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

So you are saying that Lansdown is culpable or not? You brought it up as a way of trying to smear him, then you backtracked and said you wouldn't make the claims against him specifically, but now you are saying he is somehow more culpable than other businessmen? 

I doubt you could even describe the difference between Vulture Capitalism and Venture Capitalism. 

I think I would be more inclined to question if there is a difference in the first place. 

Lansdown is involved in an industry that has been subject to widespread public criticism and controversy after the 2007/08 financial crisis. I don't want to make specific allegations on a football forum, but on the basis of this fact alone, I would suggest that he should be subject to greater and closer scrutiny than 'ordinary' businessmen who make their money in more conventional/traditional ways. 

5 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

Under the terms of the law, the incidents involving the City players resulted in jail sentences being handed out. In the case of Brown and Barton, no jail sentence was forthcoming. The incident involving the City players was a serious violation of public order, and as I recall, one player continued to play with a tag. 

I'm not sure what you mean by 'under social obligation'? If you mean, do I believe that different standards should apply across individual countries on the basis of cultural differences, then my answer is 'no'.

If Brown serves his sentence, commits to undertake rehabilitation and pay his debt to the victim/s and society, then I have no issue with the club signing him. 

I don't get it, why are you still here?

Truly embarrassing, surely you must have some sort of life 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BS3City said:

Utter crap you Sag ****! Anyone familiar with events at that time will well remember that any profit made on a player sale resulted in a new fleet of milk floats for Dunford Dairies.

No pun intended, but they "milked" you for every single penny.

You have a very selective memory and are full of shit...

No Dunfords, no club. I've said it before and will say it again. 

The idea of money being 'creamed off' as part of a criminal conspiracy by the Dunfords to fund the purchase of new milk floats is mildly amusing, but deserves no further consideration. 

2 hours ago, Hot Air said:

There wouldn't be a BRFC without them. It is that simple. 

After Hayles was sold, Holloway put together the Cureton-Roberts partnership, which was one of the most feared strike forces in lower league football. 

Cureton was there already and Roberts was less then a Tilson. Only remember them from when you bottled the last 6 games of your best season in the last 30 years. 

You actually sold some decent strikers during that period, shame the money was spent renovationg the beaches in bris. 

Favorite Dunford moment was when he closed your old forum.

Anyway dont let facts ruin your fun.

11 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, did it quite a few times at Eastville.............Tote, the Harold Enclosure, South Enclosure .

Yes me too , was on the tote the night the locks got changed ??

been to the Mem about 5 times and never been in the away end yet , what’s the saying cat 9 lives and all that ???

1 minute ago, RedHienz said:

Cureton was there already and Roberts was less then a Tilson. Only remember them from when you bottled the last 6 games of your best season in the last 30 years. 

You actually sold some decent strikers during that period, shame the money was spent renovationg the beaches in bris. 

Favorite Dunford moment was when he closed your old forum.

Anyway dont let facts ruin your fun.

Its pretty straightforward to explain - how much of the money from the Alex Scott will Nigel Pearson see? In D2 you sell a player for Roberts for 2m and would then expect to get to spend 250,000-300,000. 

Holloway was given money to spend, and wasted it. 

24 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

That's like saying that somebody who works on the front desk of a bank is comparable to a national-level bank boss. Quite clearly, nuances and degrees of acceptability apply. I think we can generally agree that Lansdown would be more open to scrutiny and criticism than somebody like Dunford, despite the fact that both are businessmen. 

It was still embarrassing and exposed your club to nationwide ridicule. 

Let’s not start about embarrassing and ridicule ,

I will name 3 for you without thinking 

my fav - on the pitch at Wycombe singing those immortal words - THE GAS ARE STAYING UP

only to be relegated the next week - IN THEIR OWN KIT ???

one word for the last one ( well 3 actually ) STAND - WELL LACK OF 

53 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

They weren’t crimes against women….drunken ********* fighting bouncers, not even comparable.

I’ll ask you again, do you think crimes against women should be covered under”social obligation”

And to save time, you have just signed a man who admitted attacking a woman and was fined for it in a court of law. I could also chuck in other ‘misdemeanours’ but expensive lawyers are marvellous for certain people 

Added to which, Patridge and Scott Brown both did community hours for their time. Brown however..
image.png.f661be9d98b274f69298a39cc2ceabf9.png

Partridge, Brooker, and Orr. were all also given a sentence, and suspended by the club for the same period.

57 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

So do you believe that your own club should have sacked Bradley Orr, David Partridge and Steve Brooker after they were sentenced to prison for their role in a drunken brawl? 

Please don't pretend that you are in a position of moral authority on this. 

I would expect the clubs to suspend them.

Alternatively, if we're working the whataboutism angle; If they - like Jevani - had beaten women, in for example Bristol City centre - then yes, I'd 100% expect them sacked, because I'm not some degenerate. At least the bouncer could defend himself in the indicated incident and did so.

In the same way I was 100% against the club employing Simpson. Moral fibre is determined by the individual, and its not your right to question anyone on this forum when you're attempting to draw compairsons in defence of your own player. Its a bit sickening to be honest. I'd feel like morals have improved slightly in 17 years.

The fact you're trying to even make this a debateable point while calling us tinpoint is the most ironic thing I've read on this forum.

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

I think I would be more inclined to question if there is a difference in the first place. 

Lansdown is involved in an industry that has been subject to widespread public criticism and controversy after the 2007/08 financial crisis. I don't want to make specific allegations on a football forum, but on the basis of this fact alone, I would suggest that he should be subject to greater and closer scrutiny than 'ordinary' businessmen who make their money in more conventional/traditional ways. 

On point one I will help you out.... Whereas venture capitalists seek firms with growth potential and invest in their development to create a ROI, vulture capitalists usually seek out firms where costs can be cut in order to increase profits. Mostly, these firms are distressed and on the brink of bankruptcy.

On point two, Bankers were subject to widespread criticism, Hedge Fund Managers were subject to widespread criticism, Lansdown and his company are neither bankers or run Hedge funds. If you are suggesting that just investing in the markets is disreputable then you are also going to have to extend that to everyone who has a Pension fund of some kind.

3 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Added to which, Patridge and Scott Brown both did community hours for their time. Brown however..
image.png.f661be9d98b274f69298a39cc2ceabf9.png

Partridge, Brooker, and Orr. were all also given a sentence, and suspended by the club for the same period.

I would expect the clubs to suspend them.

Alternatively, if we're working the whataboutism angle; If they - like Jevani - had beaten women, in for example Bristol City centre - then yes, I'd 100% expect them sacked, because I'm not some degenerate. At least the bouncer could defend himself in the indicated incident and did so.

In the same way I was 100% against the club employing Simpson. Moral fibre is determined by the individual, and its not your right to question anyone on this forum when you're attempting to draw compairsons in defence of your own player. Its a bit sickening to be honest. I'd feel like morals have improved slightly in almost 20 ****ing years.

The fact you're trying to even make this a debateable point while calling us tinpoint is the most ironic thing I've read on this forum for 20 years.

You are mistaken: there was no whatboutism and no attempt to relativize what has occurred. I simply object to BCFC fans pretending they have a moral high ground on this issue. 

Brown was sacked by Exeter and was then employed by BRFC. The matter has been handled by the courts, who have handed down their judgement. The player has indicated his intention to rehabilitate himself and the club have committed themselves to helping him do this. I consider the matter closed.

Partridge, Brooker and Orr were employed by City at the time of their offences. I personally would have fired them and encouraged them to pursue their careers at another club. 

35 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

Under the terms of the law, the incidents involving the City players resulted in jail sentences being handed out. In the case of Brown and Barton, no jail sentence was forthcoming. The incident involving the City players was a serious violation of public order, and as I recall, one player continued to play with a tag. 

I'm not sure what you mean by 'under social obligation'? If you mean, do I believe that different standards should apply across individual countries on the basis of cultural differences, then my answer is 'no'.

If Brown serves his sentence, commits to undertake rehabilitation and pay his debt to the victim/s and society, then I have no issue with the club signing him. 

Why do you keep bringing up an event that happened 20 years ago that has no relevance to assaulting women? It’s pure deflection. 

you brought the suggestion of Jordanian “social obligation” and “family values” into the conversation as to imply the same ethos runs through your club…..it doesn’t, it never has, it’s a self-perpetuating myth.

you have a manager with a rap sheet as long as your arm and expensive lawyers who appear to know all the loopholes…..case being dropped doesn’t mean you didn’t do it.

you are signing players who has admitted guilt on assaulting a women, not whacking a burly bouncer…assaulting a women. Where is your ethos now? Admit guilt, rehabilitation…oh thats fine. What next, murderers?

final comments from me for now….

continual messages spouting crap and opinion not fact

writing style, self importance and faux knowledgeable 

a seemingly direct knowledge of law

sketchy understanding of city history / rivalry with rovers (probably fed to him)

an unlikely knowledge of Middle Eastern ethics

Sounds like joey has found his way to OTIB!

Edited by RedRaw
  • Like 3
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Hot Air said:

They could also do one of Dean Windass scoring the promotion-winning goal in the 2008 playoff final. They'd probably sell out. 

Might as well do some Rovers tea mugs with the writing 'Bristol City' on, just like your shirts this season. That was so funny I didn't think it was real.

Make a note now, you are Bristol Rovers, it is Doncaster Rovers, not United, we are Bristol City. Hope that helps your marketing team.

20230816_225358.thumb.jpg.73014c9d22eb47361cef932563d158e6.jpg

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

The idea of money being 'creamed off' as part of a criminal conspiracy by the Dunfords to fund the purchase of new milk floats is mildly amusing, but deserves no further consideration. 

Nobody mentioned "criminal conspiracy" other than you. It was a fiddle and you know it.

You are also very keen to put down events of 30 years ago as "deserving no further consideration", yet willingly pull up events relating to City from a similar era that suit your befuddled agenda. 

You are fortunate to be given the time of day on this forum. Why not now trot off to your Sag chums, boast about how you baited and outsmarted all of us, and celebrate with a packet of stale crisps, some out of date Fanta and a quiet intimate evening in with your sister, safe in the knowledge you have cemented your reputation here for evermore as another Sag bellend?

• Flames 1

9 hours ago, Harry said:

They are born in the same City as us, attend the same schools as us, have everything in life that we have. What is it that makes them like this? 
There must be some weird paranormal activity going on at Da Mem - as soon as anyone born and bred in our fair city walks into that place they seem to immediately lose all ability to understand facts and basic maths. 
What happens to them? It’s a strange phenomenon. 

I think it's because we've consistently underachieved for a club playing in a city the size of Bristol, but miraculously they've managed to be consistently shitter than us , making them the most bitter football fans in the entire football league.

Or it might be inbreeding.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Why do you keep bringing up an event that happened 20 years ago that has no relevance to assaulting women? It’s pure deflection. 

you brought the suggestion of Jordanian “social obligation” and “family values” into the conversation as to imply the same ethos runs through your club…..it doesn’t, it never has, it’s a self-perpetuating myth.

you have a manager with a rap sheet as long as your arm and expensive lawyers who appear to know all the loopholes…..case being dropped doesn’t mean you didn’t do it.

you are signing players who has admitted guilt on assaulting a women, not whacking a burly bouncer…assaulting a women. Where is your ethos now? Admit guilt, rehabilitation…oh thats fine. What next, murderers?

final comments from me for now….

continual messages spouting crap and opinion not fact

writing style, self importance and faux knowledgeable 

a seemingly direct knowledge of law

sketchy understanding of city history / rivalry with rovers (probably fed to him)

an unlikely knowledge of Middle Eastern ethics

Sounds like joey has found his way to OTIB!

The Bristol Rovers manager coming on here to gloat the day after their best away win in years , would be the most Bristol Rovers thing ever 

6 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

You are mistaken: there was no whatboutism and no attempt to relativize what has occurred. I simply object to BCFC fans pretending they have a moral high ground on this issue. 

Brown was sacked by Exeter and was then employed by BRFC. The matter has been handled by the courts, who have handed down their judgement. The player has indicated his intention to rehabilitate himself and the club have committed themselves to helping him do this. I consider the matter closed.

Partridge, Brooker and Orr were employed by City at the time of their offences. I personally would have fired them and encouraged them to pursue their careers at another club. 

Brown wasn't even sacked at any stage by any club was he? - His contract ended June 30th and Exeter released him while he was suspended. So thats irrelevant.

There is zero equivilence here, and you do relativize it by saying we/City fans don't have the moral high ground because of something 20 years ago, something for which the charges now are generally greater (Kyle Dempsey 12-month suspended). We would not (and don't) condone what Brown has done due to a sentence having been handed down and being served like you seem to. That's all there is to it. We would not want him employed by Bristol City, in the same way we didnt want Simpson employed.

You also highlight the double standard in the above by saying due to being convicted the club (City) should have sacked Patridge et al - yet Brown has never been sacked, sp you're telling my that simply due to the time of year the offense was committed, Brown gets a pass for Rovers because....?

Also unironically ended up on your forum to try and find any information I thought I was missing but came across gems like this - which consider the HG2 movement are corkers.

image.png.031f911549c61501ea0c28863b1ccfa9.png

image.png.36fc77deb0ee5c9334d449b2dfc35149.png

Sorry for having some morality.

July 29th 2021

The letter of the club’s president read: “The past four days have been tough for us all and I have seen first-hand that there is a division within the fanbase which is not what we want heading into a new season.

“Firstly, I think it is really important to confirm that as a club we stand firmly against any form of violence.

“Any individual that is found guilty of any such offenses will be dismissed immediately.

June 26th 2023

Bristol Rovers have signed forward Jevani Brown on a two-year deal following his release by Exeter City.

The 28-year-old was suspended by the Grecians in February and has not played since after being charged with assaulting two women.

He admitted one charge in March and is awaiting trial on the second, which he denies, in July.

• Like 7
  • Flames 3

2 hours ago, Hot Air said:

Some years ago, Rovers used to train at a place called The Beeches.

Do you have any idea who owned the place and how much he used to charge Rovers for the 'privilege' of using his facilities?

3 hours ago, Hot Air said:

If the player has committed to serve their sentence and has also committed to undergo rehabilitation, then there is no reason for the club not to employ them.

You may have read these past few days that Manchester United are contemplating whether to reintegrate in to their squad a young man by the name of Mason Greenwood, a player they suspended when he was accused of, and charged with, various sexual offences against his girlfriend.

The charges against MG were recently dropped, as the main witness (his girlfriend and now the mother of his child) refused to testify, and I should be interested to know whether, in the probably unlikely event that Manchester United were to contemplate loaning him to Rovers, you might support any such loan.    

10 hours ago, Hot Air said:

Its funny - when I hear you lot to us as 'tinpot', I only have to think back just over two decades, when the bassist/drummer of Bros (sorry, genuinely can't remember/care), was your chairman. For those less senior, Bros have a strong claim to be one of the worst UK bands of all time, and I was genuinely embarrassed for your club and its fanbase. At the time we were being run by the Dunfords - a solid, decent and unstated chairmanship. 

Then you met Steve Lansdown, a leading practitioner of Anglo-Saxon vulture capitalism, and the rest is history. 

The last 2 decades has been under Steve lansdown 2 decades is 20 years

Then again maths isn't a gasheads strong point

10 hours ago, Hot Air said:

And then straight back down again after finishing rock bottom of the championship. 

But we have gone off track - the essential point is that you were 'tinpot' relatively recently. In 1982, when you almost went bust because you could not manage your financial affairs (say what you like about us, we pay our creditors and don't rely on charity from our players), and when the drummer of Bros was your chairman. 

But it was certainly more fun, wasn't it? Professionalism has certainly come with a price for you. 

We've won more cups since 82 then you have in your entire existence 

Very much enjoying waking up this morning to read comments from a Rovers fan on a City forum trying their very best to score points (using examples from at least 20 years ago to do it) ironically after Rovers have just scored some points!  I must admit references to Bros were a definite highlight, I hope they keep going, maybe John Atyeo is in for pasting soon?

• Like 1

So in summary @Hot Air:

Charlton are bigger than Millwall - probably agreed but not relevant.

Jordan/Bahrain aren’t as bad as Saudi - not sure either way but not relevant.

SL should be criticised morally for being resident in Guernsey - doesn’t really get you anywhere as he’s a self-made billionaire whose using a similar ‘tax efficient’ arrangement as Wael using Jersey.

You say we’re tinpot because of a mascot fight on the pitch in the late 90s - that was  a wolf and three pigs (who had nothing to do with us) having a scrap which didn’t seem to reflect back on the club, but yes we’re a lot more professional now.

You say we as a fan base cannot criticise your club for decisions it has made in 2023 because of a decision taken by our club 20 years ago - times have moved on. Compare our fans’ reaction to signing Danny Simpson with how your lot reacted to signing Brown. There’s been some discussion about morality and ethics on here. Hiring convicted criminals falls into that. In a fair and liberal society, once someone has served the sentence given to them by law, are they not free to renter society as they were (with only some restrictions)? There’s no legal bar to convicted footballers earning a living. It’s a moral question. It seems a lot of football fans (Man Utd fans over Greenwood, Sheff Utd with Ched Evans etc) would say the publicity and fortune that come with it make it inappropriate or at least don’t want their club associated with certain behaviours. Your owner made himself look hypocritical with the comments about JB before his trial and then signing Brown and your fans have not protested in great numbers against that.

BCFC aren’t as slick/professional as we should be - most on here would agree, did you see the complaints about the digital tickets, the 5-transfer limit, the collars on the home shirts, the lack of away shirt, the changed crest on the yellow kit? Here’s the crucial bit though, as a fan base we tell the club when they get it wrong and expect better from them, we don’t complain that Ted posties and green counsellors are to blame for us demolishing our own stand before we could have hoped to get planning permission. 

You say 1982 was (or should be) embarrassing for us but is now a source of pride - our unwanted record of going from the first division to the fourth is embarrassing for any fan base, there is no pride in the ‘Eight Men had a Dream’ chant. It’s gratitude. They tore their contracts up so we could go on. Without them doing that, there’d be no City. Like you saying without Dunford there’d be no R*vers. (Though note that the AG8 saved the club by not taking out money they were legally entitled to.)

That you have to go back 20-40 years to say we’re tinpot says it all. In the last 20-40 days you’ve started the season without a stand (and still don’t seem any closer to getting planning even though you’re the ones who knocked the other one) and have our name printed on your shirts.

It was very good of you to come on here and give us another laugh! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 5
  • Robin 6

So what did we learn yesterday…

Charlton are bigger than Millwall. In fairness we all know that but still have no idea why the Slaghead brought it up?

City are tinpot because….

We used to have a Chairman who was a reasonably talented musician.

2 groups of mascots (WWFC and Coldseal) had a fight on our pitch.

We got relegated a few times.

We once got into a spot of financial difficulty from which we survived.

Well thanks for that Hot Air, that really told us ?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BrightCiderLife said:

So in summary @Hot Air:

Charlton are bigger than Millwall - probably agreed but not relevant.

Jordan/Bahrain aren’t as bad as Saudi - not sure either way but not relevant.

SL should be criticised morally for being resident in Guernsey - doesn’t really get you anywhere as he’s a self-made billionaire whose using a similar ‘tax efficient’ arrangement as Wael using Jersey.

You say we’re tinpot because of a mascot fight on the pitch in the late 90s - that was  a wolf and three pigs (who had nothing to do with us) having a scrap which didn’t seem to reflect back on the club, but yes we’re a lot more professional now.

You say we as a fan base cannot criticise your club for decisions it has made in 2023 because of a decision taken by our club 20 years ago - times have moved on. Compare our fans’ reaction to signing Danny Simpson with how your lot reacted to signing Brown. There’s been some discussion about morality and ethics on here. Hiring convicted criminals falls into that. In a fair and liberal society, once someone has served the sentence given to them by law, are they not free to renter society as they were (with only some restrictions)? There’s no legal bar to convicted footballers earning a living. It’s a moral question. It seems a lot of football fans (Man Utd fans over Greenwood, Sheff Utd with Ched Evans etc) would say the publicity and fortune that come with it make it inappropriate or at least don’t want their club associated with certain behaviours. Your owner made himself look hypocritical with the comments about JB before his trial and then signing Brown and your fans have not protested in great numbers against that.

BCFC aren’t as slick/professional as we should be - most on here would agree, did you see the complaints about the digital tickets, the 5-transfer limit, the collars on the home shirts, the lack of away shirt, the changed crest on the yellow kit? Here’s the crucial bit though, as a fan base we tell the club when they get it wrong and expect better from them, we don’t complain that Ted posties and green counsellors are to blame for us demolishing our own stand before we could have hoped to get planning permission. 

You say 1982 was (or should be) embarrassing for us but is now a source of pride - our unwanted record of going from the first division to the fourth is embarrassing for any fan base, there is no pride in the ‘Eight Men had a Dream’ chant. It’s gratitude. They tore their contracts up so we could go on. Without them doing that, there’d be no City. Like you saying without Dunford there’d be no R*vers. (Though note that the AG8 saved the club by not taking out money they were legally entitled to.)

That you have to go back 20-40 years to say we’re tinpot says it all. In the last 20-40 days you’ve started the season without a stand (and still don’t seem any closer to getting planning even though you’re the ones who knocked the other one) and have our name printed on your shirts.

It was very good of you to come on here and give us another laugh! 

You must have posted this as I was writing my summary ?

• Like 1