IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 minutes ago, Selred said:

I’m not worried? But his signing for Rovers is very ambitious for their league. We’ve not signed someone of the same level since we were in that league (closest Naismith?)

Absolutely no comparison . It’s numbers. Quantity not quality . A club is panicking when it’s signing 13-14 players every year . You can’t build a team doing that but that’s what they’re doing every year . 

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Totally agree . Let’s not forget . Some have short memories. When we got relegated in 2013 , this is exactly what we did & mark Ashton was recruitment consultant. 
this is blatant panicking by the fewers . 

Yep, their wage bill will have skyrocketed out of all proportion.

Unless they go up (which is a huge if), they are going to be in a serious pickle next summer. 7.5k crowds don’t financially support wage bill increases of £30k or so in league one

15 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

There’s ambition and there’s throwing money at an off chance of getting promotion.

It’s the equivalent to us spending £25 mill this summer and breaking our wage budget completely.

It may be fun in the short term, but unless the rewards come then it could go badly badly wrong.

Id much rather be on our side of the fence than theirs

It’s not the equivalent of us spending £25m and blowing everything on one gamble.

It’s investing SOME of the money we do have into the playing squad. It’s widely accepted that you cannot plead poverty when you’ve generated £35m over two transfer. We have money, SL doesn’t want to spend it. We have a 33 year old striker to lead the line until January at least! It’s embarrassing from our board.

Those criticising Rovers for signing JCH come across as jealous more than anything. Trying to play it down when on paper it’s an impressive signing for them.

For what it is worth, I would have taken JCH as a deadline signing today. In my opinion he would out score Wells in the championship.

Edited by formerly known as ivan
  • Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

Absolutely no comparison . It’s numbers. Quantity not quality . A club is panicking when it’s signing 13-14 players every year . You can’t build a team doing that but that’s what they’re doing every year . 

Absolutely agree. They have signed lots of older players on contracts and younger players on loans. Our approach in league one was much stronger and longer term, sign the leagues best young players which fit out approach. 

All I was making the point is that JCH is a great league one signing for any club, and a real signal of intent. We haven’t made a similar signal intent for years, perhaps Naismith? (but then no other signings have supported since)

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

It’s not the equivalent of us spending £25m and blowing everything on one gamble.

It’s investing SOME of the money we do have into the playing squad. It’s widely accepted that you cannot plead poverty when you’ve generated £35m over two transfer. We have money, SL doesn’t want to spend it. We have a 33 year old striker to lead the line until January at least! It’s embarrassing from our board.

Those criticising Rovers for sign JCH come across as jealous more than anything. Trying to play it down when on paper it’s an impressive signing for them.

For what it is worth, I would have taken JCH as a deadline signing today. In my opinion he would out score Wells in the championship.

We’re not talking about our current issues here though, this is a thread dedicated to them.

It is exactly like us going and spending £25 million in surplus while blowing our wages budget, whilst signing Akpom for £12 mill. It wouldn’t be financially viable for us at all, much like how it isn’t for them.

JCH is 29 and has one season where he has hit double figures in the championship, Wells has 6. Maybe he would have outscored Wells, but there’s absolutely no evidence to back that claim up

20 minutes ago, Selred said:

How?

So off the top of my head since the signing of Luke Freeman, (your suggestion) we signed Jonathan Kodjia and Internationals, Magnússon, Kalas, Wells, and Weimann. We have signed Sykes, Tanner and Mehmeti, young players with a future. 

We have signed Atkinson and Naismith, and in this window alone we signed Dickie, Knight, McCrorie, and Roberts.

Even in loans we had Tammy and now we Taylor Gardner- Hickman (probably permanent).

That's just a few I can think of that are better than spunking 800k on a 29 year old journeyman.

That's why.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Those criticising Rovers for signing JCH come across as jealous more than anything. Trying to play it down when on paper it’s an impressive signing for them.

?? **** me I’ve heard it all now

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

So off the top of my head since the signing of Luke Freeman, (your suggestion) we signed Jonathan Kodjia and Internationals, Magnússon, Kalas, Wells, and Weimann. We have signed Sykes, Tanner and Mehmeti, young players with a future. 

We have signed Atkinson and Naismith, and in this window alone we signed Dickie, Knight, McCrorie, and Roberts.

Even in loans we had Tammy and now we Taylor Gardner- Hickman (probably permanent).

That's just a few I can think of that are better than spunking 800k on a 29 year old journeyman.

That's why.

JCH has won the golden boot the last 2 seasons he’s played in league one. That is the definition of a top league one striker. 

Yes we’ve signed international players, but that doesn’t make them top championship players (Magnússon prime example). Like I’ve said, you could argue Naismith (Luton player of the season) and Kalas is a shout (promotion with Fulham/Boro).

JCH would walk into all, or at least most, of league one teams. For that division it’s massive. 

1 minute ago, Selred said:

JCH has won the golden boot the last 2 seasons he’s played in league one. That is the definition of a top league one striker. 

Yes we’ve signed international players, but that doesn’t make them top championship players (Magnússon prime example). Like I’ve said, you could argue Naismith (Luton player of the season) and Kalas is a shout (promotion with Fulham/Boro).

JCH would walk into all, or at least most, of league one teams. For that division it’s massive. 

You said we haven't shown any ambition since 2015, that's bollocks as I have shown in about 5 minutes, with a bit of time I could make it seem even worse. The signings we have made this window alone blow their journeyman striker out of the water. 

You are weirdly much more easily impressed by JCH a player edging towards his last years, than any of our signings that all have time to improve.

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

You said we haven't shown any ambition since 2015, that's bollocks as I have shown in about 5 minutes, with a bit of time I could make it seem even worse. The signings we have made this window alone blow their journeyman striker out of the water. 

You are weirdly much more easily impressed by JCH a player edging towards his last years, than any of our signings that all have time to improve.

I haven’t said we haven’t shown ambition. I have said we haven’t shown ambition similar since we were in league one. 

Rovers would be signing one of the leagues top strikers. When have we signed one of the Championships best players? 

I don’t know the Rovers squad, I’m merely basing it on a player by player basis. We’ve signed some fantastic potential, but it’s potential. Rovers objectives seem to be promotion this season, ares aren’t. 

6 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

You sound like you are? 

Not saying I am jealous, more that I wouldn’t have been disappointed if we did.

All good though, at least we have a 33 year old to see us through the next few months…

Wells’ career pisses all over Clarke-Harris.

Even this summer when we are all moaning about how little we’re spending, we have brought in 3 million pound plus players & TGH will be double that if we bring him in permanently.

2 minutes ago, Selred said:

I haven’t said we haven’t shown ambition. I have said we haven’t shown ambition similar since we were in league one. 

Rovers would be signing one of the leagues top strikers. When have we signed one of the Championships best players? 

I don’t know the Rovers squad, I’m merely basing it on a player by player basis. We’ve signed some fantastic potential, but it’s potential. Rovers objectives seem to be promotion this season, ares aren’t. 

It’s totally different though isn’t it.

Rovers are signing one of the league ones best players for £800k, we’d have to spend £15 million to sign one of the championships best players, especially a forward

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

It’s totally different though isn’t it.

Rovers are signing one of the league ones best players for £800k, we’d have to spend £15 million to sign one of the championships best players, especially a forward

Yes it is different. But god knows why we are criticising Rovers for it, he’s a bloody good signing. 

I’d love a glamour signing like him right now, we’ve just got £25m for Scott and signed no one since (well TGH on loan).

We can’t really be laughing at Rovers for this singing. 

52 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

He’s a cart horse ok striker for league one.

he’s a great signing for the pikeys as they are literally light years behind us .

Tommy Conway is ten times the player. 

they’ve signed a multitude of loans (will never be their payer) & over the hill shite . 

Being as unbiased as possible. I don't understand the train of thought here, if we want to talk about this objectively. I don't think this shows literally anything for City's ambitions, anyone who looks at the state of the two clubs in terms of infrastructure & finances right now will know there's quite a considerable gap. But he is not an 'okay striker for League One.' He's probably the best striker in League One, or at least one of. Since signing for Rovers initially he's scored 81 League One goals in 123 games. You speak of him like he's Leon Clarke too, the Championship season where he scored 12 wasn't 6 or 7 years ago, it was the season before last, and for a relegation side. 

Also seen quite a few here talk about some sort of urge for immediate success, going for extremely old players or something. I don't agree. Averages are very skewed from the fact that we signed Wilson and Friend, 34 and 35. But if you look at our squad it's a fairly good mix of loans (Vale, Bogarde, Crama), older more-experienced players (Wilson, Friend, Marquis) and younger more talented players (Gordon, Taylor, Thomas). 

So yeah TLDR it's a really good signing for Rovers, and he could be a lower-Championship striker fairly easily I think (hell Lockyer is literally the captain of a Premier League club!); but it doesn't indicate some sort of lack of ambition of City (in my personal opinion, I think Pearson holds you guys back in any sort of long-term promotion-charging potential, could be wrong though)

EDIT: Well looks like it hasn't happened! Oh well, onwards and upwards I suppose :)

Edited by Boring Sag
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Boring Sag said:

Being as unbiased as possible. I don't understand the train of thought here, if we want to talk about this objectively. I don't think this shows literally anything for City's ambitions, anyone who looks at the state of the two clubs in terms of infrastructure & finances right now will know there's quite a considerable gap. But he is not an 'okay striker for League One.' He's probably the best striker in League One, or at least one of. Since signing for Rovers initially he's scored 81 League One goals in 123 games. You speak of him like he's Leon Clarke too, the Championship season where he scored 12 wasn't 6 or 7 years ago, it was the season before last, and for a relegation side. 

Also seen quite a few here talk about some sort of urge for immediate success, going for extremely old players or something. I don't agree. Averages are very skewed from the fact that we signed Wilson and Friend, 34 and 35. But if you look at our squad it's a fairly good mix of loans (Vale, Bogarde, Crama), older more-experienced players (Wilson, Friend, Marquis) and younger more talented players (Gordon, Taylor, Thomas). 

So yeah TLDR it's a really good signing for Rovers, and he could be a lower-Championship striker fairly easily I think (hell Lockyer is literally the captain of a Premier League club!); but it doesn't indicate some sort of lack of ambition of City (in my personal opinion, I think Pearson holds you guys back in any sort of long-term promotion-charging potential, could be wrong though)

Why are you speaking so much about a player who isn’t yours?

Edited by JBFC II
  • Haha 2