IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 minutes ago, Boring Sag said:

Being as unbiased as possible. I don't understand the train of thought here, if we want to talk about this objectively. I don't think this shows literally anything for City's ambitions, anyone who looks at the state of the two clubs in terms of infrastructure & finances right now will know there's quite a considerable gap. But he is not an 'okay striker for League One.' He's probably the best striker in League One, or at least one of. Since signing for Rovers initially he's scored 81 League One goals in 123 games. You speak of him like he's Leon Clarke too, the Championship season where he scored 12 wasn't 6 or 7 years ago, it was the season before last, and for a relegation side. 

Also seen quite a few here talk about some sort of urge for immediate success, going for extremely old players or something. I don't agree. Averages are very skewed from the fact that we signed Wilson and Friend, 34 and 35. But if you look at our squad it's a fairly good mix of loans (Vale, Bogarde, Crama), older more-experienced players (Wilson, Friend, Marquis) and younger more talented players (Gordon, Taylor, Thomas). 

So yeah TLDR it's a really good signing for Rovers, and he could be a lower-Championship striker fairly easily I think (hell Lockyer is literally the captain of a Premier League club!); but it doesn't indicate some sort of lack of ambition of City (in my personal opinion, I think Pearson holds you guys back in any sort of long-term promotion-charging potential, could be wrong though)

Agree on JCH. 

Don’t know your squad. 

Absolutely disagree on Pearson

Just now, Boring Sag said:

Just rebuking the "this isn't a good signing" arguments. But I'm sure that it'll keep our finances in good stead for now anyways, and there's always January! 

Ah don’t worry, when you’re mid table in January he’ll have his eyes elsewhere.

Imagine, just imagine, selling a striker to create room for a record signing, but then failing to complete the paperwork properly so the record signing falls through. You can’t make it up…

10 minutes ago, Selred said:

I haven’t said we haven’t shown ambition. I have said we haven’t shown ambition similar since we were in league one. 

Rovers would be signing one of the leagues top strikers. When have we signed one of the Championships best players? 

I don’t know the Rovers squad, I’m merely basing it on a player by player basis. We’ve signed some fantastic potential, but it’s potential. Rovers objectives seem to be promotion this season, ares aren’t. 

800k to sign the leagues top striker, what do you think it would cost to sign this leagues top striker, and then pay him? That's not showing ambition that's just lunacy.

You are bitter and twisted because the Scott money is burning a hole in someone else's pocket, your statement is not factual and defending it by twisting what you meant is being unrealistic.

They are not being "ambitious", they are throwing bad money after bad money out of some sort of desperation. If Call Me Joe doesn't get his act together, they are going to be in serious trouble.

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

800k to sign the leagues top striker, what do you think it would cost to sign this leagues top striker, and then pay him? That's not showing ambition that's just lunacy.

You are bitter and twisted because the Scott money is burning a hole in someone else's pocket, your statement is not factual and defending it by twisting what you meant is being unrealistic.

They are not being "ambitious", they are throwing bad money after bad money out of some sort of desperation. If Call Me Joe doesn't get his act together, they are going to be in serious trouble.

Signing JCH would of been ambitious for Rovers. Especially for that fee. 

It would of been their biggest ever signing, spend wise but also quality wise 

3 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Looking into it now, how would you feel if this falls through at this stage?

In all honesty everyone's been talking about JCH for weeks and I've been telling people no chance. I made sure I had virtually 0 hopes up until Darragh's tweet and even then I was almost certain it'd be a Championship club. But the Dan Hargreaves tweet saying the deal had been agreed, have to say that would sting! But JCH or no JCH I think we've had a good window, the only issue is we'd have let go of a striker when we needed one, before today I was expecting a loan striker from god knows where (I actually thought it might be Mason Burstow from Chelsea, but he's gone to Sunderland. Sometimes I really don't get the levels certain clubs will loan to, Tristan Crama our CB for instance apparently got some loan offers rejected from Ligue 1 and now he's in League 1, doesn't make sense to me, same with Elliott Anderson going to us when we were in League 2. Perhaps destination is more important than competitive level when clubs are looking for loans sometimes). I think there's still some free-agent strikers; like Lyle Taylor and Connor Wickham, but of course they're a huge step down from JCH

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Boring Sag said:

In all honesty everyone's been talking about JCH for weeks and I've been telling people no chance. I made sure I had virtually 0 hopes up until Darragh's tweet and even then I was almost certain it'd be a Championship club. But the Dan Hargreaves tweet saying the deal had been agreed, have to say that would sting! But JCH or no JCH I think we've had a good window, the only issue is we'd have let go of a striker when we needed one, before today I was expecting a loan striker from god knows where (I actually thought it might be Mason Burstow from Chelsea, but he's gone to Sunderland. Sometimes I really don't get the levels certain clubs will loan to, Tristan Crama our CB for instance apparently got some loan offers rejected from Ligue 1 and now he's in League 1, doesn't make sense to me, same with Elliott Anderson going to us when we were in League 2. Perhaps destination is more important than competitive level when clubs are looking for loans sometimes). I think there's still some free-agent strikers; like Lyle Taylor and Connor Wickham, but of course they're a huge step down from JCH

Boring!  

Źźźzzzzzzzzzzzz

10 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Ah don’t worry, when you’re mid table in January he’ll have his eyes elsewhere.

Imagine, just imagine, selling a striker to create room for a record signing, but then failing to complete the paperwork properly so the record signing falls through. You can’t make it up…

Well I don't think Loft is playing either way really, not like we let Collins or a regular starter go. And I don't think it was Rovers' competitive ability that made him attracted to us but the fact he apparently wanted to move back this way and was of course at the club for a period. By January though a lot of teams will be looking for strikers, that's the main concern for any continued move I think.

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

But your comparison is wrong. That's all. 

It’s not though. I know it’s Rovers but you can just credit them sometimes, or equally in this case just laugh it’s fallen through. 

It would of been an ambitious signing for them, I’d of liked us with the Scott money to of been similar. we move. 

13 minutes ago, Boring Sag said:

............................sorry, are you still chatting ?

6 minutes ago, CiderJar said:

A few moments later....

Maybe the paperwork guy was on Weston's Vintage since lunchtime and was cracking one off watching Babe Station and forgot  about faxing(well it is Rovers) the paperwork over. You had one Job :laugh: