IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

20 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Hilarity tinged with some sadness today. Yes it’s hilarious the plug has been pulled on the fruit market, but more than a serving of sadness that their banter has quite possibly reached its absolute pinnacle today. Surely this can never be topped? 

They really are too funny aren't they? 

I wonder whether it's possible for the hilarity to increase to such an intensity that it reaches critical mass and, like dark matter, collapses in on itself in a comedy implosion, and just suddenly stops being funny any more? 

I do hope not. 

5 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I don't believe the Gas have intent towards a new stadium. If they did they should have made a huge play a few years back for the land adjacent to Gypsy Patch Lane and the A38 where the Village hotel and gym, plus a number of car showrooms now stand. Easy access to the motorway, a local rail station and on a bus route would have made it ideal. They could even have used Stoker's as their pub. 

Stokers could have been full of strokers, bet they're gutted.

1 hour ago, Dolman Block B said:

They ain’t going nowhere. image.thumb.png.c4130a773525ac17e79fe67a4f89ae63.png

Its pathetic but its better than it was,,, as soon as this work was announced a few months ago it was obvious they werent going to build this if there was any likelihood of the fruit market development happening.

perhaps with the 300k defender signing, and the 800k jch potential signing ( if that was ever really sanctioned), plus this stand expenditure someone is actually starting to spend some money on them?

There is a sense though that if you are going to do a job,, do it properly,, that ramshackle stand is clearly a bodge… 45 million or so for a rebuilt stadium isn’t affordable but doing one stand at a time would at least offer improved facilities as they went along if they could ever do anything properly…. If they could have a version of the atyeo stand where we had our changing rooms and offices for years, and maybe a supporters bar facility that would be a huge upgrade… i was up at crewe a few months ago and drove past their stadium… all nicely paved with a really nice stand at one end, it ought to be possible, even for that lot?!

11 hours ago, mattjb said:

Well these things take time apparently Miah 

Yes, and improvements have definitely been made. I mean, we almost , but not quite, broke our transfer record, and we talked for a couple of years about building a new stadium that had almost started to get me to believe it might happen. I blame the ref.

• Like 3
  • Haha 10
  • Flames 1

10 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Take your time, there's no rush! We will wait just outside the Prem for you.

Good to see there are a few sensible posters on your forum. They deserve better but there you go.

I honestly do want to stay at the Mem , for reasons I have said so on here before, although as the fruit market is fairly central I could have been happy with it. I've stopped worrying about behind the scenes stuff long ago and just enjoy a weekend with mates and occasionally seeing a good game- which tbf we have seen a few of lately. 

Sometimes I do think though 'FFS really?' . I have lost count of the number of new grounds proposed and promised, we must hold some kind of record.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Sometimes I do think though 'FFS really?' . I have lost count of the number of new grounds proposed and promised, we must hold some kind of record.

That period late 90’s & mid 00’s was wild for stadium plans, for both clubs.

Ashton Gate Rebuild -30k

Hengrove - 40k

Severnside (shared stadium)

Fruit Market (shared stadium) 

Mem Rebuild - 15k? 

East End rebuild 

UWE stadium 

Ashton Vale (I think this fits in the time frame) 

It’s the sites that weren’t announced I find interesting. We know City acknowledged the council offered arena Island, and Rovers likewise has land by Rolls Royce suggested to them but there’s been a fair few others that to me, sounded like a really good idea. 

18 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Blimey had completely forgotten about the whole Severnside site.

What were the reasons for it not going ahead in the end?

Shockingly I believe the Rovers were asked to contribute something to the cost of building the stadium, despite being given the land for free. The nerve of some people.....:whistle:

I love how in that article they say it "ends a desperate search" 

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Haha 5

19 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Blimey had completely forgotten about the whole Severnside site.

What were the reasons for it not going ahead in the end?

image.thumb.png.e8a402d90138d99d440c2fe63e28040c.png

All taken from here: http://bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com/ici-severnside.html

http://bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com/history-of-failed-stadia-attempts.html

Edited by Gazred
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Graham Russell, was never sure about him. Who is the mysterious shareholder who was adamant we should groundshare with the Gas? That didn't come to much did it, despite his sign off on that article. 

Sounds like wish fulfilment to me.

18 minutes ago, Gazred said:

When you start going through all the failed proposals over 50 years, I can't think of another football club whose new stadium plans have been such abject failures.

The recurring theme is always "How is this going to be paid for?" 

The plans seem to range from "Sports Grants" to "Other Investors". At least with Ashton Vale, there was a coherent plan of selling AG, building homes on ground that we owned, plus the remainder coming from SL.

None of these Rovers' plans even mention at any stage funding, let alone a business plan. They are all just pie in the sky.

• Like 3
  • Flames 3

Just now, NcnsBcfc said:

When you start going through all the failed proposals over 50 years, I can't think of another football club whose new stadium plans have been such abject failures.

The recurring theme is always "How is this going to be paid for?" 

The plans seem to range from "Sports Grants" to "Other Investors". At least with Ashton Vale, there was a coherent plan of selling AG, building homes on ground that we owned, plus the remainder coming from SL.

None of these Rovers' plans even mention at any stage funding, let alone a business plan. They are all just pie in the sky.

Remembering of course that SL had already built the land and put £35m in a pot up front to show this commitment.

7 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Nail on head.

The 15ers never have had; and probably never will have , the funds for a new stadium.

Edited by The Gasbuster