IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, Homer Simpson said:

Sometimes I think we're a bit harsh on the sags. To be fair they've only been playing in Bristol for 27 years and only been a league club for 8 years. 

But most of the time, I think phuk em.

We should really be supporting grassroots football and encouraging our local non-league clubs like Mangotsfield, Yeovil, Bristol Rovers, and Weston and cheering them when they occasionally have a run in the FA Cup or manage to play for a few seasons in the football league proper.

These are the clubs from where we might find the next Jamie Vardy, making medical splints through the week whilst turning out to give his all every Saturday on the pitch.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Like a student graduating after a couple of 'GAP YEARS' extended their finishing date.

There would be City supporters who were in their mid-40s at the start of the GAP who are now retired and drawing a pension. 

How bonkers is that! 

Agreed, but (as you know Rob?)  those of us...'of a certain age' lived through some difficult times!

So lap it up guys...we suffered for you.   😉

Edited by 42nite
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Agreed, but (as you know Rob?)  those of us...'of a certain age' lived through some difficult times!

So lap it up guys...we suffered for you.   😉

I was a mere 26 when the Gap started. 

So yes, I recall a number of occasions when they were marginally less shit than they are now. 

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

oh.

Is that it ?

Not up to his usual standards (or maybe down to his usual standards).

I’m sure their ethical, gormless ******* powers that be at the top will do absolutely nothing about it, along with their proud and strong connection with her game too, will be absolutely thrilled to see him agreeing with it and getting involved for absolutely no reason. 

35 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

can someone remind me what went wrong at eastville before their demise? with greyhounds and speedway,they could have had a half decent place between the 3 of them

Rovers didn't own it. Greyhound company more interested in remote betting (afternoon contract with no spectators). Speedway a passing phase. Plus Eastville was a sithole.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, miser said:

Rovers didn't own it. Greyhound company more interested in remote betting (afternoon contract with no spectators). Speedway a passing phase. Plus Eastville was a sithole.

Not sure if it still a thing these days, but back before the Internet, there was BAGS.

Bookmakers Afternoon Greyhound Service (I think it was), it allowed the 'bet desperate' an opportunity to squander out of season, at a time convenient.

16 minutes ago, miser said:

many thanks👍 the shithole bit would suit them perfectly,

i got it totally wrong,thought they did own it,

11 minutes ago, miser said:

Pre war. A rather incestuous deal.

Rovers bought in the 1920's and sold it in 1940.

I thought they had a 30 year lease on it then rented, but could be wrong about that.

Either way, it was a particularly stupid sale which guaranteed they would be homeless in the future - something they have never recovered from.

Which is nice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

can someone remind me what went wrong at eastville before their demise? with greyhounds and speedway,they could have had a half decent place between the 3 of them

Further to the other replies, due to financial problems, Rovers sold the ground in 1940 to the greyhound company for £12k which was well below the market valuation of the land. The Rovers board member who masterminded this was also on the board of the greyhound company! The site was enormous with a large car park at either end of the ground. Just right for a modern stadium. Later in the 40s the board tried to get Harry Dolman interested in joining them. All went well until he told them that not owning their own ground was a bad idea. The response was basically “with ideas like that you’d be better off at Ashton Gate”. The rest is history. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Further to the other replies, due to financial problems, Rovers sold the ground in 1940 to the greyhound company for £12k which was well below the market valuation of the land. The Rovers board member who masterminded this was also on the board of the greyhound company! The site was enormous with a large car park at either end of the ground. Just right for a modern stadium. Later in the 40s the board tried to get Harry Dolman interested in joining them. All went well until he told them that not owning their own ground was a bad idea. The response was basically “with ideas like that you’d be better off at Ashton Gate”. The rest is history. 

Yes, being backward and thick is not a new thing for the blue few, they’ve been like it for decades.

An absolute shambles of a club. 🤣

9 hours ago, petehinton said:

I’m sure their ethical, gormless ******* powers that be at the top will do absolutely nothing about it, along with their proud and strong connection with her game too, will be absolutely thrilled to see him agreeing with it and getting involved for absolutely no reason. 

It's a shame that none of our local media will have the bottle to pull him up about it

8 hours ago, pongo88 said:

cheers Pongo, this was the bit i was miffed about,my dad used to take me to the market when i stayed with him some weekends,always remembered it as a big plot which could have been a big complex these days before it went tits for them. that new stand of theirs would have been ideal for it in those days