IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

TBF, they've not had a lot to get them going, so a couple of wins is brilliant for them.

Bless.

This century they've had 12 seasons in the third tier, 11 in the 4th tier, and 1 in the 5th tier.

In that time, their highest finish is 10th in the third tier.

Their average attendances have ranged from an abysmal 5,480 (a promotion year), to a remarkable 9,302 (the year they finished 10th and thought they were a shoe in for the Championship but ****** it up at the death).

Nothing club really.

In all fairness they are desperate to have something positive to cling on to. Let's be honest they lucked out with their chelsea supporting arab owner who isn't exactly wealthy, re investment from a new doner, unfortunately doner is right as in kebab shop owner. The ex manager brought a lot of negative press and continues to do so, so that has backfired. So they look up to the more successful red side of Bristol and start signing their ex players, get a new manager who has the same name as an ex City player, look to employ another ex City player as a coach. Why, even their new temporary stand name is copied from our ground. Forever in our shadow, literally with the floodlight positioning with the new stand. 

Yep, they are right, something IS happening, they are trying to be Bristol City.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Swede said:

In all fairness they are desperate to have something positive to cling on to. Let's be honest they lucked out with their chelsea supporting arab owner who isn't exactly wealthy, re investment from a new doner, unfortunately doner is right as in kebab shop owner. The ex manager brought a lot of negative press and continues to do so, so that has backfired. So they look up to the more successful red side of Bristol and start signing their ex players, get a new manager who has the same name as an ex City player, look to employ another ex City player as a coach. Why, even their new temporary stand name is copied from our ground. Forever in our shadow, literally with the floodlight positioning with the new stand. 

Yep, they are right, something IS happening, they are trying to be Bristol City.

......and even have our name on their shirt sleeves.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Swede said:

In all fairness they are desperate to have something positive to cling on to.   

For reasons I am struggling to get my melon round. I now have the Paul Young version of 'Living in the love of the common people' going on a loop in my head.

Wally's gonna buy them a dream to cling to, something about it being an invisible ground.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

For reasons I am struggling to get my melon round. I now have the Paul Young version of 'Living in the love of the common people' going on a loop in my head.

Wally's gonna buy them a dream to cling to, something about it being an invisible ground.

It`s the `hole in the roof where the rain came through` line probably

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

How apt...

The lyrics tell a bleak story of poverty and unemployment. There is a mention of "free food tickets," a reference to government food stamp and welfare programs, in the first line, and the lyrics also describe the subject family as having holes in their clothes, their roof and their shoes.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

This cretin is getting a bit carried away after downing a cheap bottle of plonk.... 

Having just drained a rather nice bottle of Pinot Gris, I believe that if we can procure the services of Mr Johnson Clarke -Harris ,next season we will be Bristols Premier football club .

Warning to our Red Friends south of the river.
Please do not be alarmed by the imminent reversal of disparity, life will go on for you once you have transitioned your way through the seven stages of grief.

I'm wondering which of the 40 odd Bristols he is referring to, Bristol Wisconsin perhaps?

Don’t post much, don’t think I’ve posted on this topic/the Gas. Anyway, is Wael AQ (?) still involved?

Now Joey is gone I seem to feel less hate towards them, don’t get me wrong I hate them, but that bloke was and is clearly the lowest of the low and brought the worst out in some of their followers (like shite MAGA *******, waiting for excuses to put their hate out there), I know/knew a few gasheads, some reasonable and fairly realistic, still a little delusional (like all fans, myself included, but less so now), unfortunately Joey’s reign made me lose touch with a few of his believers (former friends/team mates) which could be a blessing, some are now thankfully changing their opinion of the wife beater.

Lost my thought track, been unwell, first drink of the month 🤦

Is Wael still involved?

Anyone else lost contact with gasheads as a result of Joey?

Happy New Year to you all UTC 🙌

note to self, don’t drink and post, having flashbacks to 20 years ago and I’d message some Doris off me phone, black out and be like ‘who are you?’, thank **** no socials back then

11 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

I have no idea where their laughably blind optimism is coming from. It’s not as if they are even on a particularly good run. They’re so weird.

In the last 4 games Rovers have won 3 times, two of which were against the top 2. I'm not going to be the one to overhype us, I think we'll finish somewhere in the 8th-12th range, but here's a question. If winning a league game each against the top 2 (let's presume Portsmouth and Bolton finish top 2 for now, but right now it's comparative) isn't particularly noteworthy, when was the last time City did it in the Championship (hint: or equivalent before...)

• Facepalm 1

56 minutes ago, Boring Sag said:

In the last 4 games Rovers have won 3 times, two of which were against the top 2. I'm not going to be the one to overhype us, I think we'll finish somewhere in the 8th-12th range, but here's a question. If winning a league game each against the top 2 (let's presume Portsmouth and Bolton finish top 2 for now, but right now it's comparative) isn't particularly noteworthy, when was the last time City did it in the Championship (hint: or equivalent before...)

In 1977 we beat Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal (home and away) Spurs & Leeds to stay up in the top flight 😀 ‘ave some of that

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

3 hours ago, Boring Sag said:

Oh looky here - a few wins and BS comes out of hiding again!

Sorry, I must have missed the communication from the EFL, but Is there now some speical trophy awarded for wining matches against the top 2 in a season? Is it actually more relevant at the end of the season than victories against the (randomly chosen) 7th and 18th placed teams if you don't actually win promotion?

I think it's probably just the case that your poxy club has absolutrely nothing that matters better than its equivalent at Bristol City and you and your fellow gasheads constantly try and search for any angle to make yourselves still seem relevant. Always in our shadow.

The last time I checked the league table included ALL results, and the fewers are still 9 points outside the playoff spots despite their good recent form. But fine, knock yourself out, go ahead and crank one out while deluding yourself into thinking this the year you get promoted. You will be back to getting rinsed by massive clubs like Exeter, Burton and Fleetwood soon.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Boring Sag said:

I have absolutely no idea about the last time we beat the two teams who were 1st and 2nd at Christmas because it’s not a statistic that any normal football fan would take note of.

Consider this for context though. In the 2012-13 season, we comfortably beat Cardiff (champions), Watford (3rd and playoff finalists) and Crystal Palace (playoff winners) at Ashton Gate. Our finishing position that season? Dead last and relegated. We weren’t crowing like a bunch of weirdos for beating two promoted teams were we?

I also remember beating both our promotion challengers QPR and Plymouth at home in the space of a week, yet we ended up missing out on promotion, so the boast was meaningless and would have been met with ridicule.

Your fanbase are strange and deluded. You clutch at really odd straws in order to try and get one over us. A bigger percentage of your home crowds travel away than us? Just means your home support is rubbish. Your ground is fuller than our in terms of capacity? Just means your ground is a little shoebox. This is just another meaningless dig that is quite frankly hilarious.

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 7
  • Flames 3
  • Robin 1

8 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

In the 2012-13 season, we comfortably beat Cardiff (champions), Watford (3rd and playoff finalists) and Crystal Palace (playoff winners) at Ashton Gate. Our finishing position that season? Dead last. It’s not a particularly noteworthy statistic really is it?

That was a mental season, we scored 4 past both Palace and Cardiff in late August, after starting with a narrow defeat to Forest, yet by the end of the season we were no-hopers and very deserving of relegation.

9 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

That was a mental season, we scored 4 past both Palace and Cardiff in late August, after starting with a narrow defeat to Forest, yet by the end of the season we were no-hopers and very deserving of relegation.

Was that the season we started well, then got walloped by Blackburn at home? 

5 hours ago, Boring Sag said:

I’m not going to overhype us, but you will anyway. 
Please give us some recognition, such a needy little fan base. Strange 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cityal said:

Oh looky here - a few wins and BS comes out of hiding again!

Sorry, I must have missed the communication from the EFL, but Is there now some speical trophy awarded for wining matches against the top 2 in a season? Is it actually more relevant at the end of the season than victories against the (randomly chosen) 7th and 18th placed teams if you don't actually win promotion?

I think it's probably just the case that your poxy club has absolutrely nothing that matters better than its equivalent at Bristol City and you and your fellow gasheads constantly try and search for any angle to make yourselves still seem relevant. Always in our shadow.

The last time I checked the league table included ALL results, and the fewers are still 9 points outside the playoff spots despite their good recent form. But fine, knock yourself out, go ahead and crank one out while deluding yourself into thinking this the year you get promoted. You will be back to getting rinsed by massive clubs like Exeter, Burton and Fleetwood soon.

Imo they'd better be hoping they DONT get promotion..

They would get well & truly rodgered if they were to scrape up.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Imo they'd better be hoping they DONT get promotion..

They would get well & truly rodgered if they were to scrape up.

Why, they’ve got a squad full of young hungry players, most of them homegrown who are only going to improve and for whom the skys the limit.

its not like there are a squad full of loans and old players on their way down who’ll be lucky if they can run in a years time let alone compete in the championship 😀

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I’m not going to overhype us, but you will anyway. 
Please give us some recognition, such a needy little fan base. Strange 

The logic of this appears to be we’ve beaten the best sides in League One recently, when did you last beat the best sides in the Championship?

You don’t have to be a genius to see the flaw do you, ask Sheffield Wednesday 96 points in that league or Plymouth (101) about the step up, it’s effing brutal.

I do know about Ipswich but they are a massive outlier, most seasons 2 go back down to League One or are in real danger of doing so.

It would be like us comparing ourselves to Crystal Palace, deluded.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Was that the season we started well, then got walloped by Blackburn at home? 

Lost against Forest 1st game, beat Palace 4-2 midweek when Baldock signed, beat Cardiff the following Saturday lunchtime to take us top of the table for about an hour. Lost to Barnsley the following match.

The rest of the season was just dogshit and yes, did include Blackburn beating us at home.

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The logic of this appears to be we’ve beaten the best sides in League One recently, when did you last beat the best sides in the Championship?

You don’t have to be a genius to see the flaw do you, ask Sheffield Wednesday 96 points in that league or Plymouth (101) about the step up, it’s effing brutal.

I do know about Ipswich but they are a massive outlier, most seasons 2 go back down to League One or are in real danger of doing so.

It would be like us comparing ourselves to Crystal Palace, deluded.

Might be worth pointing out to @Boring Sag the last time we were in the 3rd division, it would have been difficult to beat top of the league, because for the majority of the season, it was us. 

Also worth asking when they beat any 2 sides in the second tier, let alone the top 2. 
Hint: If you’re not in your 30’s you’d have missed it. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Boring Sag said:

It’s a good run of form and do think you look a lot better under Taylor, top half as you said is a possibility although think you’re too far off the playoffs to make a dent this season. What I will say though is anything can happen in a new managers bounce it’s whether you can sustain it. Yes you beat the top 2 in incredible results but you’ve also dropped points at home to Cheltenham and lost to Crawley in the EFL trophy 

6 hours ago, Boring Sag said:

5E9EAB6B-75A0-46CE-86AE-E070AA5D87BA.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 11