IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Living in Worcester at the time, I had a couple of pints with Geoff Merrick in the player's lounge at St George's Lane after a Worcester City v Bath game in the Gola League (or it might have been the Alliance Premier League) after he came back from a spell playing in Hong Kong.  We talked BCFC and I confirmed that he'd been my role model for putting blokes into Row M. He wasn't bitter at all about our darkest days and was (I think) chuffed to talk all things Ashton Gate.  The man is still my hero, although I did break my leg putting in a Sir Geoff type tackle in a lads v dads game a few years later!!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, CS Red said:

Bearing in mind I was only 2 in 1982. Rovers blocking a council loan is a new one on me. I do vaguely recall someone saying Rovers tried to buy Ashton Gate at the time. Is some more background information anyone can give me?

The council were going to give city a 'bale out' Loan, the terms of which I can't remember as I was only 15 myself. They needed agreement from the scum who vetoed it leaving us to die and them, due to having no competition, free to take over Ashton Gate for pretty much nothing.

I stand to corrected by our more senior members but that's how I remember it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

They went into liquidation.

It wasn't me that brought it up :)

Er, you did say this:-

Miah Dennehy

Time has certainly warped opinions on that. City's demise was all of their own doing. I'm glad to see the Ashton Gate 8 being treated better than they were btw, by both your club and fans.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

The council were going to give city a 'bale out' Loan, the terms of which I can't remember as I was only 15 myself. They needed agreement from the scum who vetoed it leaving us to die and them, due to having no competition, free to take over Ashton Gate for pretty much nothing.

I stand to corrected by our more senior members but that's how I remember it.

Many Thanks Ska Junkie. It's one thing I did not know about the events of 82. 

Why did it need the agreement of Rovers to make it happen?

1 hour ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

Living in Worcester at the time, I had a couple of pints with Geoff Merrick in the player's lounge at St George's Lane after a Worcester City v Bath game in the Gola League (or it might have been the Alliance Premier League) after he came back from a spell playing in Hong Kong.  We talked BCFC and I confirmed that he'd been my role model for putting blokes into Row M. He wasn't bitter at all about our darkest days and was (I think) chuffed to talk all things Ashton Gate.  The man is still my hero, although I did break my leg putting in a Sir Geoff type tackle in a lads v dads game a few years later!!

As a boy having spent many games hanging on the railings at the front of the Enclosure (east end side), he was probably my favourite of that era. When playing left back, got to see a lot of his play up close. Class.

1 hour ago, CS Red said:

Bearing in mind I was only 2 in 1982. Rovers blocking a council loan is a new one on me. I do vaguely recall someone saying Rovers tried to buy Ashton Gate at the time. Is some more background information anyone can give me?

The departure of the Ashton Gate Eight didn’t bring with it an end to the problems faced by the club. A selling ban was put in place, and with debts and salary bills still high, an opportunistic offer was made by Martin Flook and Barry Bradshaw, the chairman and vice-chairman of Bristol Rovers, to purchase Ashton Gate for £450,000. The spectre of Bristol becoming a one-club city was averted, however. A share issue scheme failing to provoke local interest didn’t help the club in their battle to ward off their rivals’ advances.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I very much doubt that is what’s actually happening, let’s not elevate this into a more serious issue on the back of rumours on a football forum. 

Agreed, and I hope it is not what is happening.

4 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

They gleefully rub 1982 in our faces at every opportunity. IF they were to ever find themselves in the shit financially or due to dodgy owners I’ll show them exactly the same amount of sympathy that they would show us if the boot was on the other foot.

If they want to be that petty and unhappy then fine. I'm not going to go down to that level though. 

Do I want them relegated down to level 9 in the pyramid. Yes.

Do I want an institution that is important to (a few) people to cease to exist because of the whims and failures of outsiders for whom those failures will have no consequence. No.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, CS Red said:

So the council could be seen to be fair to both clubs / transparent I guess CSR.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Do I want an institution that is important to (a few) people to cease to exist because of the whims and failures of outsiders for whom those failures will have no consequence. No.

Thats a bit hand wringing for me sorry. If they are mismanaged then so be it. No club has any divine right to exist in the commercial world of football -  and any club that employs someone like Joey Barton deserves all they get.

It’s not even like we play regular derbies anymore - there is zero interest for us apart from the comedy. Id love regular, passionate derbies but thats not happened for years. They are irrelevant to be honest. Anybody under 35/40 scratches their head at our “rivalry”. You have to be close to, or thinking about early retirement to have any real memory of genuine rivalry. 

If they went out of existence the football world would not bat an eyelid in the grand scheme of things. It would be 5 minutes on BBC news showing pictures of IKEA.

We’d all miss the piss taking but that would be about it. You hardly see their kits around Bristol now - apart from a few poor kids given it to them by their Gramps. Poor bastards. 

Extinction is part of evolution and it will come for them sooner rather than later unless they sort themselves out.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Thats a bit hand wringing for me sorry. If they are mismanaged then so be it. No club has any divine right to exist in the commercial world of football -  and any club that employs someone like Joey Barton deserves all they get.

It’s not even like we play regular derbies anymore - there is zero interest for us apart from the comedy. Id love regular, passionate derbies but thats not happened for years. They are irrelevant to be honest. Anybody under 35/40 scratches their head at our “rivalry”. You have to be close to, or thinking about early retirement to have any real memory of genuine rivalry. 

If they went out of existence the football world would not bat an eyelid in the grand scheme of things. It would be 5 minutes on BBC news showing pictures of IKEA.

We’d all miss the piss taking but that would be about it. You hardly see their kits around Bristol now - apart from a few poor kids given it to them by their Gramps. Poor bastards. 

Extinction is part of evolution and it will come for them sooner rather than later unless they sort themselves out.

Quite.  The football world barely batted an eyelid when twice FA cup winners Bury FC went bust.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CS Red said:

Whatever loan we received, they wanted the same amount, if my recall is correct 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

If they want to be that petty and unhappy then fine. I'm not going to go down to that level though. 

…and that’s totally fair enough.

I may have some sympathy with individual Gasheads who aren’t constantly revelling in our financial problems in the past, but I can’t fake sympathy for the bastards who openly and often say they wish our club had died. 

43 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Well, they seemed quite happy when those outsiders arrived, some more “unlucky tha shit” nonsense. But like I say…no evidence whatsoever that they are about to cease to exist. Im certainly not going to believe anything that comes from their cretinous, paranoid fans.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Flames 1

47 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Imagine being a youngster in Kuwait, growing up dreaming of being the next Messi or Ronaldo and hearing that an English club has started an academy in your country, turning up to find out it’s this lot…

IMG_1530.png

Are we sure this isn't a front for human trafficking 

1 hour ago, Arden Red1 said:

Whatever loan we received, they wanted the same amount, if my recall is correct 

That’s how I remember it too.  I think it went along the lines of if they didn’t get the same, they wouldn’t agree to us having it either.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

You were probably counting the ones locked out, common mistake.

I was. Schoolboy error.

They were the all outside, bald, side burns, flares, clubbing together 50,000 pence to buy Paul Randall back from Cheddar Walking Football.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Imagine being a youngster in Kuwait, growing up dreaming of being the next Messi or Ronaldo and hearing that an English club has started an academy in your country, turning up to find out it’s this lot…

IMG_1530.png

Prince Frankie of Kuwait. Let’s hope he never bumps into King Gerald of Gow. 

When the Rent Boys bring up 1982 I’m more than happy to remind them that City have won more in the past 42 years then they’ve won in their entire history.

No Watney Cup, of course, but no FA Trophy 1st round runners-up trophy either.

Cleary not all is rosy in the Gastards’ garden and long may that continue. Nothing but contempt for that pustule of a club.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

When the Rent Boys bring up 1982 I’m more than happy to remind them that City have won more in the past 42 years then they’ve won in their entire history.

I replied to a Facebook comment exactly the same recently. 

9 hours ago, Malago said:

Quite.  The football world barely batted an eyelid when twice FA cup winners Bury FC went bust.  

Apart from it being one of the main events that instigated a parliamentary fan-led review into the state of English football, something that is about to culminate in legislation bringing in an independent regulator for the game? 

Eyelids absolutely were batted and quite right that they were.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, mattjb said:

Accademy? Sounds a bit of a gamble to me.

Bristol rovers ,a renowned name in football 😄

IMG_2988.thumb.jpeg.3feb3261b09f996e435bcd93c697831e.jpeg

If you had a fifteen year old in on WORK EXPERIENCE and they produced that you would still sack them. It's utter garbage even before you consider the fact that there is barely a word of truth in there.

• Haha 1