IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, alexukhc said:

Outta curiousity I was wondering what Rovers players past or present are City fans? And vice versa, I know Marcus Stewart was one and rumour he had a City tat

I think Danny Coles was/is a Gashead, Gary Penrice was a City supporter, Keith Curle was a Gashead, Alfie Biggs was a City fan. Colin Daniel has been pictured in a Rovers away shirt but is definitely a City supporter!

10 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I think Danny Coles was/is a Gashead, Gary Penrice was a City supporter, Keith Curle was a Gashead, Alfie Biggs was a City fan. Colin Daniel has been pictured in a Rovers away shirt but is definitely a City supporter!

I can’t believe a true City supporter like Daniel could stoop so low as to score in a Gas away shirt.............

2 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Penners is a City fan?! Really? He looks like the stereotypical gashead, spoke like one and seemed to love the sags....and you called him a gashead in the ancient thread below ......where did you learn this nugget? Cheers....

Edited by BS4 on Tour...

Coming out of match in Malaga a few years ago (just after Cotts had been appointed) a guy shouted out that he recognised my Bristol accent. It was Gary Penrice who then walked with us for about 20 minutes talking Bristol football. He was  the European scout for Everton and told me Cotts would do a great job for us. How right he was.

Have to say we had a great conversation and he had nothing but good things to say about City and was a very humble guy. It’s the way of football though that we can hate a rival player with such a passion that it’s quite a shock to actually meet them and find that they are quite likeable. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Coming out of match in Malaga a few years ago (just after Cotts had been appointed) a guy shouted out that he recognised my Bristol accent. It was Gary Penrice who then walked with us for about 20 minutes talking Bristol football. He was  the European scout for Everton and told me Cotts would do a great job for us. How right he was.

Have to say we had a great conversation and he had nothing but good things to say about City and was a very humble guy. It’s the way of football though that we can hate a rival player with such a passion that it’s quite a shock to actually meet them and find that they are quite likeable. 

The ‘enemy’ have actually have some decent blokes running about in their ridiculous kit over the years....Phil Purnell and Steve Yeates were always up for a bit of banter.....the two I found totally obnoxious were Jason Roberts (tried chatted up a mate’s girlfriend with the immortal line: “I play for Bristol Rovers...” and wasn't happy with the rejection that followed) and Christian McClean - strutted around a house party I was at giving it the big ‘un about being a pro footballer....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BS3City said:

I believe the correct spelling of "Steve Yeates" is "Steve Yates". Or am I on the wrong thread?

You may be correct - I don’t know their players and ex players too well in terms of how to spell their names.

At least I never put ‘Landsdown’ or ‘A-t-e-y-o’ or ‘Patterson’ or ‘Da Silva’ or ‘Eliason’ or ‘Elliasson’ or ‘Weinman’ or ‘Corey’ etc etc on here!

Edited by BS4 on Tour...

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Penners is a City fan?! Really? He looks like the stereotypical gashead, spoke like one and seemed to love the sags....and you called him a gashead in the ancient thread below ......where did you learn this nugget? Cheers....

Made me laugh when you said looks like a stereotypical Gashead, that is spot on, Kingswood was full of Penrice lookalikes in the 80s. I heard on Radio Bristol a couple of years back a piece where they said Penrice was a City fans, had a trial at the club but was rejected for being too small. Was taken on by the Gas and unfortunately never stopped scoring.

I've also been told before now that Bill Holloway (Ian's dad) the former Longwell Green Chairman was a City supporter who used to take Ian to Ashton before he was taken over to the dark side!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Made me laugh when you said looks like a stereotypical Gashead, that is spot on, Kingswood was full of Penrice lookalikes in the 80s. I heard on Radio Bristol a couple of years back a piece where they said Penrice was a City fans, had a trial at the club but was rejected for being too small. Was taken on by the Gas and unfortunately never stopped scoring.

I've also been told before now that Bill Holloway (Ian's dad) the former Longwell Green Chairman was a City supporter who used to take Ian to Ashton before he was taken over to the dark side!

didn't 80% of blokes look like that in the 80's

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Doubt it, my old man used to play county football with skelator (My dad was 16, Ian was 13) & he was apparently Gas through & through.

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The ‘enemy’ have actually have some decent blokes running about in their ridiculous kit over the years....Phil Purnell and Steve Yeates were always up for a bit of banter.....the two I found totally obnoxious were Jason Roberts (tried chatted up a mate’s girlfriend with the immortal line: “I play for Bristol Rovers...” and wasn't happy with the rejection that followed) and Christian McClean - strutted around a house party I was at giving it the big ‘un about being a pro footballer....

The very definition of anti football. Penrice, Hollowhead, Ian Alexander (just a thug), Mehew, Devon etc, etc.....jeez, the rubbish we had to play against. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

The very definition of anti football. Penrice, Hollowhead, Ian Alexander (just a thug), Mehew, Devon etc, etc.....jeez, the rubbish we had to play against. 

You want definition of thug then I give you the late Alex Munro who played for them in the 60s and early 70s.

In a derby at AG one evening he slid into a challenge with Chris Crowe which, had he connected, would have likely been career ending. As it was Crowe skipped over the challenge which caused Munroe to slide off of the pitch and collide with the concrete 'ringside' seating which resulted in him being stretchered off with, I think, a broken leg. Generally a home crown politely applaud opposing players being carried off with serious injury. Not that night! At least I couldn't hear the applause above the abuse.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

You want definition of thug then I give you the late Alex Munro who played for them in the 60s and early 70s.

In a derby at AG one evening he slid into a challenge with Chris Crowe which, had he connected, would have likely been career ending. As it was Crowe skipped over the challenge which caused Munroe to slide off of the pitch and collide with the concrete 'ringside' seating which resulted in him being stretchered off with, I think, a broken leg. Generally a home crown politely applaud opposing players being carried off with serious injury. Not that night! At least I couldn't hear the applause above the abuse.

Yes I remember that clearly, possibly one of my earliest memories of the club, the only thing I couldn't remember correctly was Munro, I thought his surname began with a M but thought it was something different.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes I remember that clearly, possibly one of my earliest memories of the club, the only thing I couldn't remember correctly was Munro, I thought his surname began with a M but thought it was something different.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Munro_(footballer,_born_1944)

Alexander 'Alex' Munro (3 October 1944 – 24 May 2009) was a Scottish footballer who spent his career playing in England and South Africa. The son of former Scotland international Alex Munro, Munro Jr. represented Glasgow Schoolboys as a child before joining Bristol Rovers as a seventeen-year-old, following a successful trial.

Alex Munro
Personal information
Full name Alexander Munro
Date of birth 3 October 1944
Place of birth Glasgow, Scotland
Date of death 24 May 2009 (aged 64)
Place of death St Austell, England
Height 5 ft 9.5 in (1.77 m)
Playing position Outside left / Left back
Youth career
  Drumchapel Juniors
Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
1962–1971 Bristol Rovers 168 (11)
1971–1974 Durban City    
1975–1977 East London United    
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only

Munro initially played as a left half, but was soon moved to outside left where he was a regular between 1966 and 1968. Later in his career he was converted to a left back, a position where he broke his leg in the Gloucestershire Cup final in May 1968, but after a year he had recovered sufficiently to play in the position regularly until he was replaced by Lindsay Parsons in 1970.

Following the loss of his position at Bristol Rovers, Munro moved to South Africa in 1971, when he joined Durban City. He went on to play for Durham City and East London, both also in South Africa, before retiring from football. He remained in the country until 2007, when he moved back to England to live in Cornwall, dying in St Austell on 24 May 2009.

Edited by Rudolf Hucker
  • Thanks 1

Apparently we are 'crying' over their promotion video that shows our ground... 

Crying with laughter would be more accurate... 

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/14085/82ers-crying

It's rather hilarious actually, the post have, as per usual, made a story out of nothing and they've completely lapped it up, thinking that the fact that they've used the suspension bridge in their season ticket video has angered us ??

Edited by JBFC II
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Apparently we are 'crying' over their promotion video that shows our ground... 

Crying with laughter would be more accurate... 

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/14085/82ers-crying

It's rather hilarious actually, the post have, as per usual, made a story out of nothing and they've completely lapped it up, thinking that the fact that they've used the suspension bridge in their season ticket video has angered us ??

There will soon be a post on their forum indicating how they have touched a nerve with us because of your post. 

I never know how to begin to describe the insanity and delusion that comes from their forums. Genuinely hurts my head!

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Another absolute weapon 

There have been artists I really liked until they played down there and then never felt the same about their music afterwards.

How sad must his life be to go off a musician because they've played at our ground? 

They are a bitter bunch