IGNORED

Corners

BLRed

On 01/08/2021 at 14:32, eardun said:

Freeman took a decent corner to be fair. 

Hartley did too. Used to put it right where the keeper would have to win it or be stuffed 

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

In fact, we scored at Exeter, Williams - Kalas - Wells

All of which are likely to be in the 2nd wave of players this season (ie not starting the first game but likely to come in at some point and hold down a 1st team place). 

3 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Do you ever try to take corners? That isn't an attempt at being condescending.

Taking corners is a skill. Its a skill many players are not particularly good at. The reason players hit the front man repeatedly is because of what they are trying to do - Hit flat crosses and zones. There are themes. The easiest ball to defend is dropping it in to the box. The hardest to defend is driven and flat taking rotation off the ball but its also the easiest to get wrong. Attempt to flatten the cross and its a couple of % either way of hitting the first defender or putting it out the back. Teams invariably mark first ball winners and put blockers in zones. Try to hit zones? Invaribly a perfect ball is defended as statistically it has to be. The defending team has to be favourite. Teams attempt to beat the odds by attempting the complex leading to logical failures v zero sense. 

Absolutely spot on.

I could “chip” a ball towards the penalty spot with relative consistency from either side.  It would be “slow and loopy” and an relatively easy ball for defenders to get a run and attack and clear, rather than a team mate attack and score from it.

The flatter, or even dipping, pacier cross is harder to execute, lower margin for error too.

Gary McAllister used to be able to float a ball to the bear post at Leeds and Leicester which was not dissimilar to what Gavin used to do for Rennie under Joe Jordan….but in today’s video analytics world, after 2 games, every opponent would have it sussed wouldn’t they?

Your stats in an earlier post were interesting.

I agree with many posters, that we do need to improve our set-pieces, but from pre-season Matty James looks like he has good technique.  Joe Williams can definitely hit that pacy, dipping corner (Cipre and Dunkley benefitted at Wigan), and I thought O’Dowda’s delivery was into very good areas v Villa, just Villa defended it well.

Baker at Atkinson, both 6’4” and Vyner 6’2” can provide aerial threat in both boxes.  Sometimes it might be about the big guys taking the opposition big guys away from the intended area to allow others to attack.  I thought in Flint’s last season we became predictable, and I thought we never made use of Pack’s aerial ability at corners, he stood edge of box, whereas I though he could go and attack balls where Flint had dragged others away from.

We don’t actually have to be massively inventive, just execute a plan.

Archived