IGNORED

Tough times ahead

bs3

Were I Lansdown reading many posts on the forum I'd quickly conclude there are better, less ungrateful options on which to blow £150m or more.

City exist because Lansdown permits them to exist , not because fans are prepared to pay the price of keeping them going (even at City's present level of mediocrity.) It's not our club, it's his. He bought it, he funds it, not us. Fans contributions via ticket fees are a drop in the ocean to what it costs to run the club at this level of ineptitude.

If fans don't like that then do what he did, make an offer, demonstrate you've the resource to run the club.

You pays your money and takes your choice - and what choice if you don't pay.....?

2 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Were I Lansdown reading many posts on the forum I'd quickly conclude there are better, less ungrateful options on which to blow £150m or more.

City exist because Lansdown permits them to exist , not because fans are prepared to pay the price of keeping them going (even at City's present level of mediocrity.) It's not our club, it's his. He bought it, he funds it, not us. Fans contributions via ticket fees are a drop in the ocean to what it costs to run the club at this level of ineptitude.

If fans don't like that then do what he did, make an offer, demonstrate you've the resource to run the club.

You pays your money and takes your choice - and what choice if you don't pay.....?

What he does with his money is totally up to him. I think we are all grateful for a lovely Stadium and training facility and the money he has put in. 

To question his Managerial decisions and whether he has faith in the current incumbent is completely up for debate. As you say, he is welcome to do what he likes with his money, but supporters are also allowed their opinion on the decisions he makes.

51 minutes ago, 2015 said:

My only concern is Nigel Pearson is not getting any luck at the moment. We were minutes away from wins in both games. Annoying.

My main issue is whether Steve Lansdown is backing him, wages an issue or FFP an issue or not, I 100% believe if Lee Johnson was in charge right now Lansdown would have given him some money to use. Maybe i'm looking too deeply but I think there is a power struggle going on at the moment at the club and Pearson lashing out at the Bristol Post is his way of showing who is in charge. 

We really do need Nigel Pearson to succeed at this club otherwise he will be gone and we will be back to square one, with more inexperienced yes men in charge again with no plan on how to change things. I believe Pearson knows what he needs and wants, but will Steve Lansdown truly back him? The jury is out on that one i'm afraid.

I suspect most professional sports people don’t really talk about luck, they talk about practice and preparation, and making the right decisions at the right time.

From SL’s interview at the weekend I get the impression that despite being an accountant and being able to see the financial figures and understand what it means, he’s had the wool pulled over his eyes in terms of “how good” the football side is.  Easy to look at a league table, which to many people looked like we were on the way up.  But without being able to understand what’s driving that, or what’s going on beneath the surface, it probably comes as a shock that the more he spent more the more  things have got worse.  How can that be?  Well some of us have a rough idea….and that’s not just “blame MA”, we could see the standard of football deteriorate over time, results eventually caught up.

I think NP has helped outline what the problems are / were, including things like medical too.  He’s finally been told the truth….it hurts.  Initially a big defence of MA, but at the weekend a shift of emphasis about new regime and hidden message of previous flaws in the regime.

I don’t think Nige is perfect.  There are some good arguments against him from some sensible posters on here.  I think his role will change over time.  I actually think he will bring in a coach who has more selection / tactics responsibility and Nige will be more consulting / Senior Manager type….but for today he’s laying the foundations.  Gonna be bumpy.  But at least we will hear it straight.

Im fully behind Nigel Pearson and I do think that with time he will turn the club around but its not going to be a great season full of fun..

My only nagging doubt is that leicester chap called ostrich who came on here at the start and wondered if NP could do it without his right hand man Craig Shakespeare who has has shared most of his success with.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I suspect most professional sports people don’t really talk about luck, they talk about practice and preparation, and making the right decisions at the right time.

From SL’s interview at the weekend I get the impression that despite being an accountant and being able to see the financial figures and understand what it means, he’s had the wool pulled over his eyes in terms of “how good” the football side is.  Easy to look at a league table, which to many people looked like we were on the way up.  But without being able to understand what’s driving that, or what’s going on beneath the surface, it probably comes as a shock that the more he spent more the more  things have got worse.  How can that be?  Well some of us have a rough idea….and that’s not just “blame MA”, we could see the standard of football deteriorate over time, results eventually caught up.

I think NP has helped outline what the problems are / were, including things like medical too.  He’s finally been told the truth….it hurts.  Initially a big defence of MA, but at the weekend a shift of emphasis about new regime and hidden message of previous flaws in the regime.

I don’t think Nige is perfect.  There are some good arguments against him from some sensible posters on here.  I think his role will change over time.  I actually think he will bring in a coach who has more selection / tactics responsibility and Nige will be more consulting / Senior Manager type….but for today he’s laying the foundations.  Gonna be bumpy.  But at least we will hear it straight.

We prepared right until 92nd and 96th minutes, bad decision making by players and injuries to 2 players in first 2 games is a bit of bad luck. Losing on Penalties is bad luck, such a lottery.

You are totally right on the rest. I firmly believe we need to get behind Nigel Pearson, if he doesn't succeed to me it's back to square one, someone else comes in from the mould of Johnson and Holden. It will be a rough ride as you say and I predicted a slow start but I think Pearson is now trying to get a hold of the squad. The end of last season was him assessing who he can and can't trust. I think that nicey nice time is over though for some players.

Patience is needed, but he needs the owner to have faith in him

Dont forget too that lansdown basically had to cover the whole club plus the rugby club last season, that will run to tens of millions, and hes not got a lot of value for his investment from the football club, and probably isnt likely to want to put another 10 million transfer kitty in at this point, even if he was allowed.

back to the OP, regardless of who the manager is, we still have a group of players on pre covid contracts on a rediculous salary, one up side is that those contracts will gradually end, and those players who apart from kalas, arent producing what we might have hoped for, will move on and we can continue with the plan of this summer, ie younger players on lower salaries, which will free up the budget for new players who might actually be good.

im sure mr fevs has the contracts list, the likes of palmer, wells, kalas, nagy, moore, Dasilva and cod, will all leave in the next few seasons and we can move on.

id also add that in the next 12 months, hopefully at least 2 of that list will be sold, and someone needs to go for big money to allow us to start the recruitment cycle over again. Bentley kalas and scott are really the only ones who we might get 5 million for in that timescale

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

Dont forget too that lansdown basically had to cover the whole club plus the rugby club last season, that will run to tens of millions, and hes not got a lot of value for his investment from the football club, and probably isnt likely to want to put another 10 million transfer kitty in at this point, even if he was allowed.

back to the OP, regardless of who the manager is, we still have a group of players on pre covid contracts on a rediculous salary, one up side is that those contracts will gradually end, and those players who apart from kalas, arent producing what we might have hoped for, will move on and we can continue with the plan of this summer, ie younger players on lower salaries, which will free up the budget for new players who might actually be good.

im sure mr fevs has the contracts list, the likes of palmer, wells, kalas, nagy, moore, Dasilva and cod, will all leave in the next few seasons and we can move on.

id also add that in the next 12 months, hopefully at least 2 of that list will be sold, and someone needs to go for big money to allow us to start the recruitment cycle over again. Bentley kalas and scott are really the only ones who we might get 5 million for in that timescale

Yes, I do.  Like the Weimann and Baker scenarios, any of the types of player you list above whose contracts are coming up, are either gonna take a chance of getting something else better than we can offer, or Gonna leave it as long as they can on their current wage before committing to a new lower wage.

Normally we would be renegotiating a better deal (in years gone by) so in player’s interest to sign.  Now it’s no longer the case.  No idea how it’s gonna pan out if I’m being honest.

1DBEEB2B-C271-4E7B-B5F9-27B4C80B3599.thumb.jpeg.6fdf0f303a3b7d27a674fbf38345bfac.jpeg

O’Dowda and Nagy are the immediate ones….although Nagy’s fate looks sealed.  Callum has an option, but question marks whether you give him another year at current wage at this point in time.  Next summer he falls into the Weimann scenario.  Would he want to sign a lower wage deal at this point?

For the many players expiring summer 22, you’d imagine there are gonna be multiple strategies in place, depending on whether we want to keep, sell to maximise funds, sell to get shot of, etc.

2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

another one frightened of change

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, I do.  Like the Weimann and Baker scenarios, any of the types of player you list above whose contracts are coming up, are either gonna take a chance of getting something else better than we can offer, or Gonna leave it as long as they can on their current wage before committing to a new lower wage.

Normally we would be renegotiating a better deal (in years gone by) so in player’s interest to sign.  Now it’s no longer the case.  No idea how it’s gonna pan out if I’m being honest.

1DBEEB2B-C271-4E7B-B5F9-27B4C80B3599.thumb.jpeg.6fdf0f303a3b7d27a674fbf38345bfac.jpeg

O’Dowda and Nagy are the immediate ones….although Nagy’s fate looks sealed.  Callum has an option, but question marks whether you give him another year at current wage at this point in time.  Next summer he falls into the Weimann scenario.  Would he want to sign a lower wage deal at this point?

For the many players expiring summer 22, you’d imagine there are gonna be multiple strategies in place, depending on whether we want to keep, sell to maximise funds, sell to get shot of, etc.

Awesome! Im sure its imminent but nagy needs to be moved on this window if at all possible, and it wouldnt be a surprise to me if cod is released next year. So much money has been wasted.

Archived