IGNORED

Intestinal Fortitude

cityfan1958

I am not going to cover the current state of the club, it’s been done to death, suffice to say when the last regime headed east the depth of the mess surprised even the current management and owners.

In terms of the managers we are likely to attract, and would be prepared to work under the current constrains, we have the most qualified person we are going to get.

What is needed now is professionalism, hard work, patience, nerve, luck, and intestinal fortitude aka guts.

Ok, hands up those who thought I was talking about the players ?

If you are reading this and you don’t feel you have the above attributes can I, very respectfully, suggest you go somewhere else until the good ship BCFC is on the rise again. Damming everyone at the club every time results go slightly against us does not help in the slightest, in fact it does the opposite. Neither does starting vendettas against the manager, why does this happen no matter who the manager is or what he does? If the manager fails to get results he will get fired, your help is not required.

Vendetta? There are one or two gobby idiots who've taken against Pearson, principally regarding Danny Simpson, but that's easy to deal with - put them on ignore!

The rest is the usual frustration at throwing away victory in 2 winnable games. Compounded by the appalling form of last season, I'd say it was understandable but nothing a couple of wins won't straighten out. 

Vendetta sounds a bit strong to me. I thought that was more like the disgraceful split dressing room of 1959-60 that led to relegation and the firing of a good manager, cityfan1958?

8 hours ago, cityfan1958 said:

I am not going to cover the current state of the club, it’s been done to death, suffice to say when the last regime headed east the depth of the mess surprised even the current management and owners.

In terms of the managers we are likely to attract, and would be prepared to work under the current constrains, we have the most qualified person we are going to get.

What is needed now is professionalism, hard work, patience, nerve, luck, and intestinal fortitude aka guts.

Ok, hands up those who thought I was talking about the players ?

If you are reading this and you don’t feel you have the above attributes can I, very respectfully, suggest you go somewhere else until the good ship BCFC is on the rise again. Damming everyone at the club every time results go slightly against us does not help in the slightest, in fact it does the opposite. Neither does starting vendettas against the manager, why does this happen no matter who the manager is or what he does? If the manager fails to get results he will get fired, your help is not required.

Should your username read superfan?

52 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Vendetta? There are one or two gobby idiots who've taken against Pearson, principally regarding Danny Simpson, but that's easy to deal with - put them on ignore!

The rest is the usual frustration at throwing away victory in 2 winnable games. Compounded by the appalling form of last season, I'd say it was understandable but nothing a couple of wins won't straighten out. 

Vendetta sounds a bit strong to me. I thought that was more like the disgraceful split dressing room of 1959-60 that led to relegation and the firing of a good manager, cityfan1958?

I have been a reader of this forum pretty much since it’s inception, and a member on and off. During that time every manager has had someone attacking everything they say or do until they get fired, or leave the club. That to me is a vendetta. 
The recent loss of T.C. Brought home the time we were in the basement, and broke but the fans understood, and supported the attempts to rebuild the club. Many on here have said it was their favorite time supporting the club. Whilst at a higher level, we are not a million miles from the same situation. Be nice to see some ‘supporters’.

12 minutes ago, cityfan1958 said:

The recent loss of T.C. Brought home the time we were in the basement, and broke but the fans understood, and supported the attempts to rebuild the club. Many on here have said it was their favorite time supporting the club. Whilst at a higher level, we are not a million miles from the same situation. Be nice to see some ‘supporters’.

Times have changed. Not for the better, mind you.

If the internet and social media had been around in the 80s TC would have got some stick too - that's human nature, that's football. Not sure there's much you can do about either.  

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I have to say that I’ve never heard that story. Any chance of elaborating?

45 minutes ago, cityfan1958 said:

Many on here have said it was their favorite time supporting the club. Whilst at a higher level, we are not a million miles from the same situation. Be nice to see some ‘supporters’.

29 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Times have changed. Not for the better, mind you.

If the internet and social media had been around in the 80s TC would have got some stick too - that's human nature, that's football. Not sure there's much you can do about either.  

I agree with both. Many a time I've thought that had Otib been around in the TC era, it would be similar in people's postings. Yes, I had a great time supporting BCFC in all away games on coach 2 etc.. However, not all of our performances were wonderful to watch. I remember our promotion year from Div 4 and that some of the matches were won by just not letting the others score more than us (a simple idea apparently)! 

I remember one time shouting from the Enclosure, at this blonde haired, smartly dressed lady sitting in the Upper Williams. I was hoping she would report back to her husband, Terry Cooper, my thoughts on a certain player. 

A few years later, I talked to her about my comments which she remembered. She didn't tell Terry as she wasn't his wife!

53 minutes ago, bredwood said:

I have to say that I’ve never heard that story. Any chance of elaborating?

The players were divided into 2 camps, some say along religious lines, others that it was about money, others that it was about players who'd been at City for a while .v. new players brought in by the new manager who was intent on shaking things up - a little bit too much for Harry Dolman's liking or the players. Even though Dolman had insisted on appointing him in the first place despite the Board's reservations. (There are uncanny similarities between the autocratic reigns of Henry Dolman and Stephen Lansdown!)

One thing's for sure, none of the players covered themselves in glory, including our record goal-scorer. We finished bottom of Div 2. There's a chapter devoted to it in Atyeo's biography.  

I wasn't around at the time, so some of the elder statesmen on this forum might be able to elaborate.

1 hour ago, cityfan1958 said:

Whilst at a higher level, we are not a million miles from the same situation. Be nice to see some ‘supporters’.

Save it's nowhere near 'the same situation'. 

When we hit rock bottom we had kids & crap turning out for for less than most supporters were earning. I grew up with a few of them & drank with one non-league, goal machine who was approached several times by City (for whom he would loved to have played,) but who couldn't afford to take the pay cut giving up his day job plus the 'boot money' football provided him. Supporters forgave they weren't great players, they saw they gave their all & best, all for scant return.

Contrast players of equally dubious ability & of signally lower commitment trousering 20 times the average wage. Players happy to personally profit irrespective of the damage that does the club. They're the antithesis of those who fought to save the club.

That's the difference between those who deserve to be cheered & those who deserve to be jeered.

You are right in your conclusion cityfan - and yes, the current situation at the club has been done to death.

However, some people have still not come to terms with it and are finding it tough to understand why, in all the time that NP has been here, we haven't managed to win our first two games. This, despite being told repeatedly, clearly and openly by our very experienced Manager, that success is going to be years in the making.

I suspect that these may be the kind of characters that Allan Walsh once identified as being discontent if the team were not 3-0 up by half-time. 

We all want City to win every game they play, that's part of the illogical fun of being a passionate football fan. 

But we know they can't and won't - indeed we are going to have to yet used to a VERY bumpy ride, especially this season.

So buckle yourselves in, give the Manager as much support as you can - often through gritted teeth I'm sure - and let's hope that he does get to build a team worthy of wearing the shirt in the first instance and thereafter of bringing the success that we all want. 

I'm one of those that does remember the First Division days, albeit through a child's eyes. I'd like nothing more than to experience similar joy through the eyes of an adult. It's been SO long already and unfortunately due to circumstances frustratingly beyond our control, it's going to be longer still.? COYR!! 

Archived