IGNORED

Team v Middlesbrough.

Roadrunner

I think Nigel's team selection will be very telling on Saturday. After the disappointment of the results, and more importantly what happened in the final minutes at both matches. Nigel will select a team that he feels wont let him down. He has seen most of the squad over the last two games and he must know who he can trust. Two away games then Swansea at home, a very important run  of games which will tells us a lot on how the season ahead will go.

I'm not a big fan of this formation, but feel we might be best placed going to a 3/5  at the Back for the weekend

Bentley

Kalas     Baker       Atkinson

Vyner                                                 JD

James    King

Weimann

Martin        Wells

Whilst not appropriate every game I actually saw the benefit of playing Weimann in that number 10 role at times last year. Feel his energy in the middle is invaluable and will help  us win possession high up the pitch. Obviously if you wanted more creativity you could play Palmer/Scott and have AW up front instead of Wells. I don't ever feel like we've utilised Wells correctly but at the same time think AW is a better fit right now in that team for the reasons mentioned above.

Had he not got one off Tuesday feel it  would have been a perfect game for Williams in midfield but have assumed he won't be fit enough to start. Were there not the current uncertainty I would also suggest starting Nagy ahead of King for a bit of extra energy and to help link the play, but if his head is elsewhere then absolutely not.

I would be surprised however if the team is much different than Saturday however...

Might Kalas come back into the starting 11 following NP's positive comments about him on Tuesday night? Personally, I'd start Kalas ahead of Baker. The rest of the back 5 picks itself really.

Matty James seems like an obvious starter. I imagine NP will pair him with Andy King. I thought both were decent vs Blackpool, and Pearson may deem Boro away as a bit too physical for Massengo or Bakinson. I'd really like to see them both get more game time this season though, especially Massengo. 

The "3" are probably the hardest to call. The wide positions are likely dependent upon the fitness of Semenyo and O'Dowda. In the centre, I suppose it's Scott or Palmer. You'd imagine Weimann is pretty much guaranteed to start.

Picking between Wells and Martin could be tough. Generally, I prefer what Wells offers you, but I was pleasantly surprised by Martin's performance vs Blackpool - I thought he played really well. 

34 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

I'm not a big fan of this formation, but feel we might be best placed going to a 3/5  at the Back for the weekend

Bentley

Kalas     Baker       Atkinson

Vyner                                                 JD

James    King

Weimann

Martin        Wells

Whilst not appropriate every game I actually saw the benefit of playing Weimann in that number 10 role at times last year. Feel his energy in the middle is invaluable and will help  us win possession high up the pitch. Obviously if you wanted more creativity you could play Palmer/Scott and have AW up front instead of Wells. I don't ever feel like we've utilised Wells correctly but at the same time think AW is a better fit right now in that team for the reasons mentioned above.

Had he not got one off Tuesday feel it  would have been a perfect game for Williams in midfield but have assumed he won't be fit enough to start. Were there not the current uncertainty I would also suggest starting Nagy ahead of King for a bit of extra energy and to help link the play, but if his head is elsewhere then absolutely not.

I would be surprised however if the team is much different than Saturday however...

I’d like to see that formation. From the players we have it seems the most logical and strongest. That’s a very experienced line up. 

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

I think Nigel's team selection will be very telling on Saturday. After the disappointment of the results, and more importantly what happened in the final minutes at both matches. Nigel will select a team that he feels wont let him down. He has seen most of the squad over the last two games and he must know who he can trust. Two away games then Swansea at home, a very important run  of games which will tells us a lot on how the season ahead will go.

Does he know what his best team is now when you take on board the matches towards the end of last season and an average start to this season. He is probably just as frustrated as we are.

Two losses next in a row from an OTIB perspective will be gold to those that will want to start a band wagon of anti NP.

I still have faith in NP and I hope things turn out well

10 minutes ago, City oz said:

Does he know what his best team is now when you take on board the matches towards the end of last season and an average start to this season. He is probably just as frustrated as we are.

Two losses next in a row from an OTIB perspective will be gold to those that will want to start a band wagon of anti NP.

I still have faith in NP and I hope things turn out well

Twas ever thus.

We'll need to be well drilled and effective against Boro. Most stubborn test yet this season, a much bigger task on paper than FGR or Blackpool. With that in mind I'd be playing people we know will work hard and work for their teammates (i.e wide men that will protect their full back). Something like: 4231 - Bents; Vyner, Atkinson, Baker, Dasilva; James, King; Weimann, HNM, Palmer; Martin (out-ball). If it doesn't work and we're behind, then we can play the 'riskier' forwards who may make something happen but maybe aren't the most disciplined yet, i.e Janneh, Scott, Conway. 

Interesting seeing the 3 at the back popular, I like that formation but as we haven't used that in any game I don't see it happening.

Question over COD, don't see him being risked. Apart from that I don't see many changes.
Kalas? Posible I guess, but doubtful.
Wells? Would be in for me, but Martin did well so that would be a surprise. 
Nagy got taken off & Bakinson hardly set the world alight and Williams out , so no one to force their way past Palmer and Scott. If Nagy hadn't asked for a move I have him in, but that would be a long shot.

So I have it as the same as started Vs Blackpool , with Palmer in for COD. I would have Palmer central and Scott wide though. 

6 hours ago, Marco the red said:

Bentley

Vyner baker Atkinson dasilva

King James

Weimann Martin Scott

Wells

You little tinker you! ???

If you’d written it as

Weimann | King | James | Scott

Martin

Wells

I’d be all over it.

FWIW, I’m sure 8 players will be the same, maybe all 11.

Kalas could come in for either Baker or Atkinson

O’Dowda might be replaced by Palmer or Scott or might be fit to start 

Scott may miss out for Wells or Palmer.

The 11 will come from those 14 I’m sure.

5 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Not sure if I am amazed that some are advocating a change of system after two games or not. Players need to get used to one system surely

Predicted line up is the Blackpool starting XI if everyone is fit.  

Nige has said today he wants to play a back 4 but is open to change if he has to, but also has to have flexible players.  So agree, it will be another back 4.  He hasn’t deviated away from it all pre-season, and he also said it (back 3) didn’t do well at end of last season.

Archived