IGNORED

Harry Kane - the new Sol or always a hero

Hampshire Red

Do City have a player who divides opinions so much these days?

We probably all know Spurs fans and i know two who were at the game yesterday between Spurs and his next club. One says the atmosphere was amazing but when singing in the last 5 mins 'Are you watching Harry Kane' some became over animated and were calling him the next Sol Campbell. The other said he will always be welcomed back as a hero despite helping Spurs to win absolutely nothing.

Wonder if Martin or Wells generate that amount of interest in S.82 or amongst the 2000 who come to Reading tomorrow?

1 minute ago, Hampshire Red said:

We probably all know Spurs fans and i know two who were at the game yesterday between Spurs and his next club. One says the atmosphere was amazing but when singing in the last 5 mins 'Are you watching Harry Kane' some became over animated and were calling him the next Sol Campbell. The other said he will always be welcomed back as a hero despite helping Spurs to win absolutely nothing.

Wonder if Martin or Wells generate that amount of interest in S.82 or amongst the 2000 who come to Reading tomorrow?

I don't get the comparison with sol. Kane wants to leave and win trophies so is joining a team more likely. Campbell left and went to there biggest rivals. 

To me it is like one of our players wanting to leave and joining Fulham, he would probably get a bit of stick for forcing a transfer but if he joint the gas I would expect him to get all sorts of sh*t.

Fair point as Aresnal were their biggest rivals but dont you think Man C are bigger football rivals to Spurs winning something than Arsenal who will probably not win anything again until they are in the Championship?

The compariosn BTW isnt one i made but was made by a significant number of Spurs fans in the ground.

Which City forward do you recall not cheering on his return to BS3?

45 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Fair point as Aresnal were their biggest rivals but dont you think Man C are bigger football rivals to Spurs winning something than Arsenal who will probably not win anything again until they are in the Championship?

The compariosn BTW isnt one i made but was made by a significant number of Spurs fans in the ground.

Didn’t Sol Campbell run down his contract and leave on a free? At least Harry Kane will get Spurs £100m+

Campbell went to Arsenal that was the crime. He had offers elsewhere but chose Spurs closest and fiercest rivals. Only comparable hypothetically with Bob Taylor leaving us for the Gas at the end of 'that' season.

Harry Kane is completely different scenario. His problem is signing a 6 year contract 2 years ago, not a great decision in hindsight.

1 hour ago, Hampshire Red said:

I’m not sure where to start with this… he’s going to Man City, not Arsenal and Sol Campbell’s move was 20 odd years ago wasn’t it?

7 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

In what way would Martin or Wells be anything like Kane? Been at Spurs since the age of 16, 3rd on their all time scorers list and over 20 goals a season for the last 7 years.

He's performed to the best of his ability for Spurs, the fact they've won nothing is not down to him.

You dont half post some rubbish. Arsenal in the Championship ?

At the time Sol moved to Arsenal Man City were bang average and Arsenal were winning the Prem so at the time not only was he moving to local rivals but one of the best teams!

Some were saying they wouldn't forgive Bobby for us getting £9m in his move to Cardiff saying he should have gone elsewhere, that's how local rivalries influence opinion, either of the other promoted teams that season? No one would have given a shit and would have congratulated him on the move. Ramp that up for the Spurs/Arsenal rivalry, leaving on a free etc and you can see the Campbell move is nothing like Kane going to Man City.

7 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Harry Kane is completely different scenario. His problem is signing a 6 year contract 2 years ago, not a great decision in hindsight.

What was amazingly stupid was no buy out clause, unlike Grealish at £100m, surely when signing a contract of that length you'd think his advisors would have built in a get out of jail card. 

1 hour ago, Redstart said:

What was amazingly stupid was no buy out clause, unlike Grealish at £100m, surely when signing a contract of that length you'd think his advisors would have built in a get out of jail card. 

Gentleman's agreement with levy of all people ?

10 hours ago, Littlesh*t said:

I don't get the comparison with sol. Kane wants to leave and win trophies so is joining a team more likely. Campbell left and went to there biggest rivals. 

To me it is like one of our players wanting to leave and joining Fulham, he would probably get a bit of stick for forcing a transfer but if he joint the gas I would expect him to get all sorts of sh*t.

The comparison is solid - Campbell left Spurs to join a team more likely to win trophies - and he did - with Arsenal he won two premier league titles, three FA Cups and got to the Champions League Final ... and your point comparing Bristol City with Fulham? Joe Bryan? Don’t remember him getting any stick ...

30 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The comparison is solid - Campbell left Spurs to join a team more likely to win trophies - and he did - with Arsenal he won two premier league titles, three FA Cups and got to the Champions League Final ... and your point comparing Bristol City with Fulham? Joe Bryan? Don’t remember him getting any stick ...

How is it Man City aren't Spurs local Derby. 

I mentioned fulham as they are one of the best sides in our division with no local derby connected to them with us. Also Bryan didn't force a move like Kane or else I am sure he would get stick. 

Archived