IGNORED

Forever Bristol City, OSIB, etc.

The Original OTIB

Listening to the former today, and "Dave" is utterly annoying with his constant interruptions and meandering. Hats off for trying, and there's some good debate and observations, but let people finish their ideas, whether good or bad. As for Stan on OSIB, cut the comedy (or attempted comedy) at every turn. Again, respect for delivering the content but the balance is all wrong. One other point, it would be helpful to have full names and some biog background on the contributors for context rather than "today we are joined by "Les" or whomsoever. Ok if you know who they are, but lots of us (I suspect) do not. Again, thanks for your efforts and hard work on this but improvements could be made. Up to you lot of course, and up to me to switch off.

2 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Listening to the former today, and "Dave" is utterly annoying with his constant interruptions and meandering. Hats off for trying, and there's some good debate and observations, but let people finish their ideas, whether good or bad. As for Stan on OSIB, cut the comedy (or attempted comedy) at every turn. Again, respect for delivering the content but the balance is all wrong. One other point, it would be helpful to have full names and some biog background on the contributors for context rather than "today we are joined by "Les" or whomsoever. Ok if you know who they are, but lots of us (I suspect) do not. Again, thanks for your efforts and hard work on this but improvements could be made. Up to you lot of course, and up to me to switch off.

I completely disagree with regards to OSIB. I really like the format and every episode has a few moments I find amusing.

2 minutes ago, Nathandao said:

I completely disagree with regards to OSIB. I really like the format and every episode has a few moments I find amusing.

Well there you go, as I said, praise and criticism in equal measure, and only my opinion. However, why not give us more info on the talking heads? Not all are familiar (Fevs, Rob F, etc.).

4 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Well there you go, as I said, praise and criticism in equal measure, and only my opinion. However, why not give us more info on the talking heads? Not all are familiar (Fevs, Rob F, etc.).

I think you’re probably right. The difference is that people putting together the podcasts are doing so as a hobby and for free. They’re learning on the job and none have had any professional radio training as far as I know. 

That doesn’t mean there’s no room for feedback though, especially constructive feedback like yours. I’m sure all the podcast creators are looking for ways to improve. 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think you’re probably right. The difference is that people putting together the podcasts are doing so as a hobby and for free. They’re learning on the job and none have had any professional radio training as far as I know. 

That doesn’t mean there’s no room for feedback though, especially constructive feedback like yours. I’m sure all the podcast creators are looking for ways to improve. 

Indeed, hence not wishing to be too damning.

Just now, The Original OTIB said:

Indeed, hence not wishing to be too damning.

I don’t really listen to the fan made podcasts as I prefer a more professional product - although when I have occasionally listened to OSIB (especially ‘a cider with’ episodes) I’ve noticed big improvements from when they first started out. 

I’d never listen to the one that Ian Gay features on as I understand it’s a very rough around the edges product. 

Whilst not my choice of listen, I do respect the guys for their time and dedication to creating the content. It didn’t exist at all a few years ago. 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don’t really listen to the fan made podcasts as I prefer a more professional product - although when I have occasionally listened to OSIB (especially ‘a cider with’ episodes) I’ve noticed big improvements from when they first started out. 

I’d never listen to the one that Ian Gay features on as I understand it’s a very rough around the edges product. 

Whilst not my choice of listen, I do respect the guys for their time and dedication to creating the content. It didn’t exist at all a few years ago. 

It does seem to have quite a few technical issues but it is streamed live and I do enjoy the content and the discussion. I think the interrupting is due to the software used, poor internet, perhaps there’s no visual cue? 
I like both pods equally! Always good points discussed. 

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Dave from FBC worked for GWR back in the day.... 

8 minutes ago, Tomo said:

My son aged 11, loves to listen to City Podcasts. However, Forever Bristol City is 'my parent choice' as swearing is kept to a minimum. 

All podcasts do a great job in their efforts... 

In all fairness, 3 Peaps also keep their language to a mimimum so the younger kids can listen. Osib is for adults imo... They try a little too hard at times though on the attempted comedy value. 

There is no visual cue on FBC, it makes it difficult….and of course Dave P (Headhunter) has to stop Ian changing the tack of the Q as he often wants to talk about the things he wants to, contracts, injuries, where there is often little change from the previous game’s pod.  OSIB use Skype so you can put your hand up if you want to interject..

I haven’t been on this season as it’s now difficult to give time up now I’m going to games.

Dave P and I did an early season chat 1-to-1 using Teams and the flow is so much better because you can signal when you want to chat, etc.

I personally think Dave P + 3 is one too many, irrespective of who is on.  I think it helps the flow because you can counter the other person’s point without waiting your turn, by which point the next person might have moved onto something a bit different.

As for the other pods, I like them all.  They bring different things to different fan groups….probably a big Venn diagram, something for everything.

2 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

I recon if you time the total contributions per episode then that Ian gets 40 minutes of airtime compared to everyone else who gets like 5 minutes each. It would be better without him he takes over too much.

Ian does seem to feature much more than any other on the panel. That's Ian. He loves to chat doesn't he... ?

5 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Ian does seem to feature much more than any other on the panel. That's Ian. He loves to chat doesn't he... ?

A prerequisite for all panellists surely?

Ian's an OK listen in my opinion, though not a widely shared one on here it seems.

If he's hogging airtime to the detriment of the show, or more interesting comments from others, it's up to Headhunter to assertively move things on.

Green'un seems to be the one losing out a bit, but perhaps he says everything he wants to?

48 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Strange that you wouldn't even give it a try?

Generally, though not exclusively, I'd say OSIB would appeal more to the under 40's, Forever Bristol City to those older.

All of them, including 3 Peaps, are an optional free bonus to listen to for all City fans though and really shouldn't be critiqued too harshly.

1 hour ago, The Original OTIB said:

I guess you're trying to be helpful in providing feedback but changing the observations you have made would essentially mean changing the people that are doing the podcast. Dave interrupts - it's what he does, Stan finds irony in almost everything, most of the time it's and amusing observation in itself.

I like the idea of better intros I struggle with understanding who the exiled robin is v other people on OSIB. 

Not trying to be a dick (just factual) but you could create your own podcast if you think there are improvements that the others can't implement. 

I'm always a bit surprised when I see non-constructive criticism of the various pod casts on here. 

They are different but that should be expected as they reflect different people's views, ages,technology and attitudes. They are all done voluntarily, and no doubt require a level of regular commitment that most would not be prepared to commit to. We have a good choice (maybe even spoilt for choice) and should thank those that stick their neck out to provide views and comments publicly. There is enough choice to not have to listen to ones that annoy anyone.

26 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Strange that you wouldn't even give it a try?

Generally, though not exclusively, I'd say OSIB would appeal more to the under 40's, Forever Bristol City to those older.

All of them, including 3 Peaps, are an optional free bonus to listen to for all City fans though and really shouldn't be critiqued too harshly.

Don’t find the idea of low production values + Ian Gay very appealing 

5 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

I'm always a bit surprised when I see non-constructive criticism of the various pod casts on here. 

They are different but that should be expected as they reflect different people's views, ages,technology and attitudes. They are all done voluntarily, and no doubt require a level of regular commitment that most would not be prepared to commit to. We have a good choice (maybe even spoilt for choice) and should thank those that stick their neck out to provide views and comments publicly. There is enough choice to not have to listen to ones that annoy anyone.

Quite. I'll take both.

FBC is live, so I'll cut Dave some slack for the technical issues.

It's not going to put me off, but on OSIB Stan is ****ing swearing like it's going out of ****ing fashion at the ****ing  mo-****ing-ment. Wonder if the Reading cleaners are still looking for a non-existent bunch of keys in the away end ....

I also listen to 3 Peeps in a Podcast as well as The Sound of The City on Monday's.

I think all of the City podcasts appeal to different demographics; or indeed to no one at all.

For me personally I like all of them for different reasons:

FBC works best for me straight after the game, it being a ‘down the pub after the game chat’ feel. 

3 Peaps feels like a podcast about Bristol in general with bonus shows about the football and feels the ‘safest’ to me and has a good network of connections.

OSIB is the more laid back, laddish and irrelevant of them; which for me makes it the must listen as it’s normally a right laugh and also reflects my thoughts most of the time. Having had the pleasure of meeting a couple of them they are really decent lads too. 

What they all have in common though is that they are fans taking their time to produce content for everyone else. I know they don’t mind feedback but I think some praise is due as well. 

The one I would like to hear more from is BS3 Talk. They seem to have stopped content now, anyone know what’s happened? 

3 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I’ve never seen disappointed by an OSIB. It’s a free pod for goodness sake, stop moaning. I think it’s funny too, I think the humour is quite modern and may appeal to younger types (very self deprecating).

I don't think people are moaning, the OP was offering constructive feedback. If the show never received any feedback it could never improve.

I do agree we should be happy people take the time to do these things as a hobby and for free - but doesn't then make them immune from feedback and improvement. Of course anyone that produces one of these podcasts is allowed to ignore the suggestions for improvement people make. 

All 3 mentioned are great. 
if you haven’t listened to the “A cider with” on OSIB you’re missing out. 

FBC is very raw, but I personally find it a good listen, agree re Ian comments, he’s too fond of his own voice, and his own agendas. 

The key here is, they’re all free, and all being produced as a hobby by some fans- so those efforts are appreciated! 

53 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

@3 Peaps In A PodCast

FYI: I've just downloaded the Swansea Podcast but its named "Reading"  - you might want to rename to avoid confusion *

(*It only confused me a bit, honest.)

Hey mate - yeah - was rushing to get out with the family yesterday - made a few errors in edit and the posting… all corrected within 10 minutes but if it downloads straight away youll need to  just refresh it… cheers for listening hope you enjoy it

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don't think people are moaning, the OP was offering constructive feedback. If the show never received any feedback it could never improve.

I do agree we should be happy people take the time to do these things as a hobby and for free - but doesn't then make them immune from feedback and improvement. Of course anyone that produces one of these podcasts is allowed to ignore the suggestions for improvement people make. 

I just found the “cut the comedy (or attempted comedy)” quote a bit repulsive. Pretty rude thing to say to someone whose spending their own free time trying to make something for other City fans to enjoy. 

1 minute ago, The Original OTIB said:

Never tried this one before, listening now, but the same routine (forgive me if in previous episodes): who is "Patch" and who is "Nige"? Some background would be very interesting.

Patch is me, im the host, fan of 33 years, started the podcast in 2015, the “Bonus Show (started in Feb 2020)” is a City post match with Matt Withers (Evening Post Fan Columnist fan of 40 plus years) and we always have a different fan with us.  This week it was Nigel Whittle.  Look out for our episodes starting Robins Reunited too…

Archived