IGNORED

Faith in the youngsters

formerly known as ivan

15 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Watched online. The fact it was 10 .v. 11 after 2 minutes made it a better work out for some of ours than it otherwise might have been.

Wells' link up play was, at times, pub standard. Not for the first time. I have no problems with him as a finisher!!

Yes, once Martin needs a rest it is most likely to be Wells with Weimann. I just cannot see that being as effective, our possession stats would be even worse than usual and you can't keep having 30% of the ball at Championship level and get consistent results - other than bad ones.

Plus, together with his excellent link up play, Martin has started the season putting defenders on their backsides left, right and centre (he got away with murder at Reading - an excellent referee that night!). You won't get that physicality from any of our other strikers. All part of Pearson's plan, I'm sure, to make us much more difficult to play against. A delight to see, in fact and is consistent with your point about being in the referee's ear a lot more too.

Good points.

Agree it probably won’t be as effective but we also both know Nige is a wily old one.

There will be games lost (& hopefully a few won) where Martin could come off & take a breather, Weimann on the other hand will probably only get the hook (like at Cardiff) to manage down the clock.

What is clear is Pearson is more about finding a way to pick up points than some defined style, beyond the blindingly obvious, which is work rate & the team matters most.

January will be interesting, hopefully the crowds give us a bit more income & he is further down the road with those he would like to move on.

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Still think state of game and areas of possession count for a lot than just straightforward possession.

5350A285-A754-481D-8822-3E7DC8F91629.jpeg.d1ac27cd4371c121c5a67704bc05639c.jpeg

The lowest percentage were the games we won ??‍♂️

The highest were the games we lost ??‍♂️

But over a season??? 46 games not just your small sample???? I'm not so sure it's the way forward. 

I've no problem being organised, solid and playing on the counter. And no doubt there are a few Championship teams who have mastered the art of playing well without the ball and winning more than they lose - but how much football do they play in doing so? I bet they play direct, muscular Warnockball rather than sophisticated Italian catenaccio.

If it had to be one or the other, I know which of those I'd prefer to watch. Sadly, we've not the players for either Warnockball or catenaccio and risk falling between the 2 stools if we went all season being dominated possession-wise. 

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

But over a season??? 46 games not just your small sample???? I'm not so sure it's the way forward. 

I've no problem being organised, solid and playing on the counter. And no doubt there are a few Championship teams who have mastered the art of playing well without the ball and winning more than they lose - but how much football do they play in doing so? I bet they play direct, muscular Warnockball rather than sophisticated Italian catenaccio.

I know which way I'd prefer to watch us play

We averaged 46.91 last season….but I don’t go big on using possession to define things.  I can quite handle opposition CBs play it around in their own third when we are ahead in the game, and can keep our structure.  That’s the difference this season.  Last season teams had the ball, but they “walked it” into our half, our press and shape too often was poor….mainly because too many were playing half heartedly.  Sometimes it only takes one or two to be like that.  Now I see structure and if we can’t pinch high up (which is ideal), we then look to stop the ball going past the halfway line.  Often we let the opposition have it for what seemed like an age, and then gave it straight back.  Small sample as you say, but I don’t see that this season.

Generally possession stats are one of the last things I might take an interest in looking at.

I would like a bit more control against teams like Cardiff….but sometimes it’s hard to not get drawn into playing like them….that’s what they force you to do.  But when you get it right (goal 1) it’s ace.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We averaged 46.91 last season….but I don’t go big on using possession to define things.  I can quite handle opposition CBs play it around in their own third when we are ahead in the game, and can keep our structure.  That’s the difference this season.  Last season teams had the ball, but they “walked it” into our half, our press and shape too often was poor….mainly because too many were playing half heartedly.  Sometimes it only takes one or two to be like that.  Now I see structure and if we can’t pinch high up (which is ideal), we then look to stop the ball going past the halfway line.  Often we let the opposition have it for what seemed like an age, and then gave it straight back.  Small sample as you say, but I don’t see that this season.

Generally possession stats are one of the last things I might take an interest in looking at.

I would like a bit more control against teams like Cardiff….but sometimes it’s hard to not get drawn into playing like them….that’s what they force you to do.  But when you get it right (goal 1) it’s ace.

Yes, undoubtedly there are reasons to be hopeful, if not cheerful just yet. 

Reasons to be hopeful, 1,2,3 - Pearson, Pearson, Pearson.

15 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Ha, good point! Completely forgot about Wells!

Although I think it would take more than an injury to Martin for him to be played as an out and out striker.

Yeah maybe, but is this why we do not see the best of Wells and his goal threat often enough. Seems a very well paid substitute, who when gets on the pitch is played out of position. Round pegs square holes .

Archived