IGNORED

Where ya been?

The Original OTIB

3 minutes ago, RedRock said:

That was an ‘ok’ performance by England, but still too cautious for me. 

Several first-time forward or ‘around the corner’ balls were on, but we always play the simple ball backwards. That’s alright but sometimes, just sometimes, you need to gamble the high risk ball and break the lines when in possession around the half way line. 

Not much happening in the centre of the penalty box either, and bleeding hell Sterling when you’re having an off -game at least look interested. The other nine outfield players were busting a gut, Sterling looked like he was playing a charity match. 

OK is about right. Was only the last ten I thought we started to tire and their fresh legs made the difference.

Lost count the times we had the ball wide on our left and failed to get the ball in the box, and other than ‘that moment’ thought Kane and Sterling were both not great.

Decent game overall and four points at Hungary and Poland pretty much job done. 

2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Like watching City of old..............poor use of substitutes, and very average game management.   Southgate still has stuff to learn IMHO.   Also too much F.....ing around (Sterling?) instead of crossing the ball into the box

I think we'd all cream our pants if city played anywhere near the kind of football this England team do 

2 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I think we'd all cream our pants if city played anywhere near the kind of football this England team do 

Have to disagree there. 

possession for possessions sake and continually failing to play a direct pass and just overplaying till you end up back at the keeper?

Prefer actual end product to clueless faffing around myself but each to their own

Felt as if there were too many egos from the England side tonight. Strutting around the park without any real conviction, dropping to the floor expecting fouls etc.

Poland were up for a fight don’t get me wrong, but just get on with it.

We’re obviously a very good side now . However , the amount of times we overplayed  down the left hand side tonight. I know we’re trying to open them up but could of chucked a blanket over shaw, grealish & mount at times . Too easy to defend against . Didn’t move the ball quick enough . 

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yes it's poor because England have the superior players to Poland. England should be winning the game. I think England managed the game at 1-0 very poorly.

Would be silly if they're happy enough with a point because of it being in a hostile atmosphere. These players are used to that.

The players haven’t played in such a hostile atmosphere in a good while. It’s not a poor result at all. 

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't think atmosphere really matters to top elite players that have experienced all that so many times over their careers. England took the lead and should have saw the game out a lot better than they did.

Disagree again. When was the last time England played in such a hostile environment against a credible team? I do think Southgate should have brought on subs but generally i thought we were on top of the game

It's a good point thought we were pretty comfortable in the game. We should have made some subs though Phillips for one looked shattered. Sterling was very frustrating the amount of times he just needed to put the ball in instead of trying to beat the man.

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

They play in hostile atmosphere's for their clubs. In big European nights or premier League grounds. Don't think it would bother them in the slightest. So many of them would not have managed to get to champions League or Europa League finals if they cant perform to high levels in a hostile atmosphere.

The main thing imo is it comes down to not using those subs. Almost all managers would make changes in that situation. Not sure why Southgate didn't make any.

Yes I tend to agree. Last 5 minutes few subs for the tired legs , break any Poland flow up and slow the game down. England did a job on a hostile ground against a rough handed Poland side with a bloody poor ref . And we will win the group any way. And likely win the next works cup finals. So all good in my book 

2 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Put a decent cross into the box and you score. Try explaining that to Southgate. So many chances to cross ignored for an extra pass. Must be orders surely. Very frustrating to see possession wasted around the box by trying to be Spain - which we aren't.

Relies on quality though both in cross and converting it, crosses being the least efficient method of scoring 

1 hour ago, Andrew_V1 said:

Have to disagree there. 

possession for possessions sake and continually failing to play a direct pass and just overplaying till you end up back at the keeper?

Prefer actual end product to clueless faffing around myself but each to their own

In the last 3 England games the score is 9-1. We have end product and concede very little, its a recipe for success. 

2 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Sadly the complaints about not crossing the ball into the box, much too often Kane isolated in there or more often than not, no-one in the box at all. That's more frustrating.

Yep. Not quite sure what our game plan was in the box tbh.

At least one of the three of the central midfield - Mount, Phillips or Rice - needed to be inside the box to support an isolated Kane. Mount was often supporting Grealish on the wing with Shaw also out there! While there were some neat moves, very little of substance was produced. Often it looked like a rugby wing formation out there! 

Our threat was predominantly from the left, so when the ball was out there Sterling should have moved into a more central position to give an attacking three inside the box. He seemed to be in a day-dream though throughout the 90 minutes. 

I thought Mount was pretty anonymous, Sterling scared to deliver a cross, although quite a few times there was no-one in the box, Grealish needs to become a man and if he dribbles round someone to carry on and not just stop and cry.

The one time we took a shot, Kane banged it in, wish they would do that a bit more.

10 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

The players haven’t played in such a hostile atmosphere in a good while. It’s not a poor result at all. 

Hostile my ass. Did you see the amount of women and kids in the crowd? One women was even reading her little one a bedtime story!

To use that as an excuse shows a whole lack of football understanding 

Poland 15-20 years ago would have been very different!

9 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Disagree again. When was the last time England played in such a hostile environment against a credible team? I do think Southgate should have brought on subs but generally i thought we were on top of the game

Errr Scotland at wembley when our fans were outnumbered? That'll be a whole 3 months ago!

6 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Hostile my ass. Did you see the amount of women and kids in the crowd? One women was even reading her little one a bedtime story!

Poland 15-20 years ago would have been very different!

No need to be condescending. None of us were there so cannot judge the atmosphere very well. Certainly not well enough for high horse comments 

10 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Football understanding? Since when has an away draw been deemed anything but a decent enough result? 

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Football understanding? Since when has an away draw been deemed anything but a decent enough result? 

I never mentioned the result! It would be a good result against a good team, Poland are not a good team and Southgate ballsed up with no subs. Should have comfortably held on.

Archived