IGNORED

Southend City?

myol'man

Will the football club be renamed too?

Boris Johnson announced Southend-on-Sea will be given city status - in honour of Sir David Amess, who had long campaigned for the change.

Downing Street says the award of city status to Southend is a "very rare honour".

"This was an exceptional circumstance," the PM's official spokesman says.

The definition of a city in the UK is a place that has been granted city status by the monarch. That status is purely honorific and confers no additional powers, functions or funding.

Vicky Ford, the Conservative MP for Chelmsford, tweets: "At this time of great sadness it is utterly fitting that Southend WILL become a City. Greetings from Chelmsford, Essex's other City."

19 hours ago, harrys said:

We’ll have dumps like Swindon getting City status next

Harry, I don’t know what you base your comment on? There is nobody prouder of their Bristolian roots than me, but I live just outside Southend (and have done for 35 years) and it’s no different to Bristol or any other major city/town in that there are both good and bad parts of Southend and it’s surrounding areas. You can’t just judge a place by the setting of its football ground, Roots Hall is a poor ground in a poor part of Southend. Imagine if everyones view of Bristol was based on Eastvile!!!

1 hour ago, Hadleigh Red said:

Harry, I don’t know what you base your comment on? There is nobody prouder of their Bristolian roots than me, but I live just outside Southend (and have done for 35 years) and it’s no different to Bristol or any other major city/town in that there are both good and bad parts of Southend and it’s surrounding areas. You can’t just judge a place by the setting of its football ground, Roots Hall is a poor ground in a poor part of Southend. Imagine if everyones view of Bristol was based on Eastvile!!!

Just don’t like the way that City status is given out on a whim and I never mentioned anything about the the actual good or bad of Southend, whereas Swindon, that’s another story