IGNORED

Pearson without Shakespeare is like Clough without Taylor

headhunter

A reason why Coppell was such a failure at Ashton Gate is that SL said he must keep on Keith Millen as his No. 2 rather than bring in his own team.

At Reading, where Coppell enjoyed so much success, he was supported in training by Wally Downes, a  member of Wimbledon's Crazy Gang and who worked under Coppell for many years as a coach at Palace after injury cut short his playing career. Off the field activity, i.e. transfers, were handled by former goalkeeper Nicky Hammond. Talk was that Coppell was rarely seen on the training ground but would inspire a winning mentality in the dressing room on match day.

When Nige arrived here the transfer dealings were handled by MA and he was expected to work with relative newcomers Downing & Simpson. Were Craig Shakespeare not assistant to Dean Smith at Villa I think Nige would have had him here like a shot and were he available I think we'd have had Steve Walsh here in player recruitment despite the extra cost compared with what we have now.

We're not seeing the best of Nigel IMHO because he doesn't have Shakespeare's support - maybe that could change if Villa go on a bad run and Smith is axed along with his team!!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

A reason why Coppell was such a failure at Ashton Gate is that SL said he must keep on Keith Millen as his No. 2 rather than bring in his own team.

At Reading, where Coppell enjoyed so much success, he was supported in training by Wally Downes, a  member of Wimbledon's Crazy Gang and who worked under Coppell for many years as a coach at Palace after injury cut short his playing career. Off the field activity, i.e. transfers, were handled by former goalkeeper Nicky Hammond. Talk was that Coppell was rarely seen on the training ground but would inspire a winning mentality in the dressing room on match day.

When Nige arrived here the transfer dealings were handled by MA and he was expected to work with relative newcomers Downing & Simpson. Were Craig Shakespeare not assistant to Dean Smith at Villa I think Nige would have had him here like a shot and were he available I think we'd have had Steve Walsh here in player recruitment despite the extra cost compared with what we have now.

We're not seeing the best of Nigel IMHO because he doesn't have Shakespeare's support - maybe that could change if Villa go on a bad run and Smith is axed along with his team!!

Well said Headhunter. I’ve been having similar thoughts myself. Clough without Taylor is a very good comparison (as the film The Damned United shows, for those who are too young to remember Clough & Taylor’s managerial heyday in the 1970s).

I was chuffed to bits when Nigel was first appointed, and really want him to do well. Whilst I am still behind him, I can’t deny I am starting to have the odd doubt.

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

Clough and Taylor were the greatest act in English football, hardly a fair comparison 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

I don't think this is the case. He lasted 2 games with Millen as his number 2.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Shelton’s Love Gravy said:

Well said Headhunter. I’ve been having similar thoughts myself. Clough without Taylor is a very good comparison (as the film The Damned United shows, for those who are too young to remember Clough & Taylor’s managerial heyday in the 1970s).

I was chuffed to bits when Nigel was first appointed, and really want him to do well. Whilst I am still behind him, I can’t deny I am starting to have the odd doubt.

Great film the Damned United. 

First 15 seconds of this. 

I do wonder whether that is what the Leeds board said to clough when they sacked him 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

One scenario is that maybe Shakespeare and Walsh are not available as yet, "Fort is being held" so to speak until they are, maybe the Summer. 

No inside info just a thought.

You are articulating a thought that I have had. The fact that there is movement in the staff suggests things are afoot.

I strongly suspect that now SL has realized he was turned over by Swiss Tony he has given Nige TOTAL control of the football side of the club, with of course the freedom to hire the staff he wants. 

Things are not great but, they are also not dreadful and Nige is a very smart bloke in my opinion and will get the right people in.

The other fact that needs to be remembered is that Nige is hardly likely to be worrying about where his next mortgage payment is coming from.

He is here because he wants to be, not because he has to be.

• Like 3