IGNORED

Josh Cavallo - Gay

Fordy62

21 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Adelaide United player Josh Cavallo has come out as gay. 

So many of you will say that it’s not a big deal. But given he’s the first pro footballer to come out as gay, it is a big deal. 

I see he’s been retweeted by Gerard Pique. I wonder which of our Premier League stars will give their backing too… I fear there won’t be many. 

Well done Josh, massively brave. Fair play. Sad it should be this way. 

https://twitter.com/JoshuaCavallo/status/1453172151914168320?s=20

On the subject of being the 1st, several of the AFL women's players have openly shown they are gay. So what, I believe everyone should have happiness in their lives & now these players can play without having to hide the fact & play with more freedom.

Good luck to all of them ?

19 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Agreed

At my work place it’s more of a Generational thing as all the homophobic people tend to be 50s and over (not saying everyone over 50 is homophobic)

Everyone else who is younger at my work just thinks of being gay as normal and not even worth batting an eyelid .

Couldn't agree more,  I'm now in my 70's & many people in my age group thought it was taboo in the day & still do. As I said in another post, I believe everybody is entitled to happiness in their lives & I wish them just that.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Your company might have a whistleblowing service for that sort of thing. It's totally unacceptable, even more so at director level. Even worse if they're not bothered about others overhearing. 

There’s definitely not a whistleblowing service here mate it’s ran very old school. Piss taking about gays and refugees are common practice among the hierarchy.

On 27/10/2021 at 21:30, The Constant Rabbit said:

That's a sample of children. By Uni under-grads. In The Guardian.

Kids say things they don't understand.

Australia is incredibly gay-friendly. 

My son is gay and has had zero issues socially or at work.

I live here.   Sydney Red does too.

I can assure you that you would be pleasantly surprised should you ever venture to Australia.

I'll give you 10/10 for spending the time to go searching for an argument though. ?

It's as if The Guardian have some sort of agenda, like the majority of media outlets which is just full of huge bias towards what they want people to believe. I expect if the Daily Mail wanted to do the same sort of "story", they would find the exact opposite by asking who they want to ask to get the results they want. 

• Like 1

On 27/10/2021 at 16:33, HitchinRed said:

I’m really not sure whether this thread:

a) reassures gays that they can talk about their sexuality openly, or

b) dissuades gays from ‘coming out’ because they’ll know it’ll become the topic of conversation.

I’m from the viewpoint, that a person’s sexuality really doesn’t matter, and shouldn’t be a talking point. The fact this has become the subject of a thread is disappointing.

Perhaps I can give my perspective as one of ‘the gays’ then, 

it’s obviously largely down to individuals of course but everyone would know it would be a taking point, and whilst you would be aware that people would react negatively (I would say even in this day and age but homophobic hate crime and instances of ‘gay bashing’ for example are on the rise) you would also know just how much the representation matters to young gay people not just in football but in sport and sometimes just in life to see a successful openly gay person being openly gay in an environment where it’s very difficult to be so - that also for everyone asking why it matters is why it matters. 
If you don’t care, great, but to any potentially closeted kids it potentially means the world, it potentially means they’ll stay in football because they realise actually it can be for people like them. That’s why it matters and that’s why it’s a talking point. Yes one day you’d hope for it to be a non-event as for example it generally is in women’s sport (but then a whole load of other stereotypes apply there to explain why that’s the case beyond of course the difference in media coverage) but that is sadly a long way off. 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

11 hours ago, underover said:

Perhaps I can give my perspective as one of ‘the gays’ then, 

it’s obviously largely down to individuals of course but everyone would know it would be a taking point, and whilst you would be aware that people would react negatively (I would say even in this day and age but homophobic hate crime and instances of ‘gay bashing’ for example are on the rise) you would also know just how much the representation matters to young gay people not just in football but in sport and sometimes just in life to see a successful openly gay person being openly gay in an environment where it’s very difficult to be so - that also for everyone asking why it matters is why it matters. 
If you don’t care, great, but to any potentially closeted kids it potentially means the world, it potentially means they’ll stay in football because they realise actually it can be for people like them. That’s why it matters and that’s why it’s a talking point. Yes one day you’d hope for it to be a non-event as for example it generally is in women’s sport (but then a whole load of other stereotypes apply there to explain why that’s the case beyond of course the difference in media coverage) but that is sadly a long way off. 

Thanks for your perspective Underover. As mentioned in my post, it is very disappointing that we are still ‘a long way off’ everybody being treated equally as individuals (if that makes sense).

Until then, I guess we need these trailblazers to highlight that sexuality is irrelevant, but also nothing to be ashamed of.

• Like 3