IGNORED

SURPRISE SELECTIONS?

ooRya

Nigel Pearson says there are places up for grabs for Saturday’s Sky Bet Championship match against Barnsley at Ashton Gate (Saturday, October 30th, 3pm).

The Robins head into the game against the Tykes looking to bounce back from the defeat against West Bromwich Albion.

Manager Pearson will be without Nathan Baker, still recovering after leaving the Hawthorns pitch when he felt unwell, while Tommy Conway, Andy King, Antoine Semenyo and Joe Williams are still unavailable.

Conway, Semenyo and Williams will be back on the grass running next week but King will be out until December at the earliest following hamstring surgery.

“Talk is cheap and we just have to get on with it. The players understand the importance of winning against Barnsley. When people miss out there are opportunities somewhere else. There may be some surprises in terms of selection but we’ll have to wait and see,” said Pearson. 

“These can be very important moments in time. If you come out the other end of a difficult spell then there are a lot more positives to come out of it.”  

I'm guessing more step ups from the Academy?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ooRya said:

Nigel Pearson says there are places up for grabs for Saturday’s Sky Bet Championship match against Barnsley at Ashton Gate (Saturday, October 30th, 3pm).

The Robins head into the game against the Tykes looking to bounce back from the defeat against West Bromwich Albion.

Manager Pearson will be without Nathan Baker, still recovering after leaving the Hawthorns pitch when he felt unwell, while Tommy Conway, Andy King, Antoine Semenyo and Joe Williams are still unavailable.

Conway, Semenyo and Williams will be back on the grass running next week but King will be out until December at the earliest following hamstring surgery.

“Talk is cheap and we just have to get on with it. The players understand the importance of winning against Barnsley. When people miss out there are opportunities somewhere else. There may be some surprises in terms of selection but we’ll have to wait and see,” said Pearson. 

“These can be very important moments in time. If you come out the other end of a difficult spell then there are a lot more positives to come out of it.”  

Wonder if Benarous is on the bench. Maybe Bell starts. The former is one of only 2-3 that can take the ball in tight spaces and look after it and the latter is a rare city player with pace. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ooRya said:

I would imagine that Scott will be back in the team. Benarous likely to be in squad imo.

• Like 1

Worrying that I’ve no idea what formation or line up we will go with.

Nige seems no closer to knowing his best line up or shape of team. I really don’t think he’s got a lot to work with but trying to get a settled system and play our way through it would seem the best approach to me. 

Oh and what a waste King and Simpson have turned out to be. 

3 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Nige seems no closer to knowing his best line up or shape of team. I really don’t think he’s got a lot to work with but trying to get a settled system and play our way through it would seem the best approach to me. 

I think its harsh to label King a waste at this stage, he's looked a tidy player when he's been fit this year but gotten unlucky with an injury.

Hard to disagree on Simpson however....

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I'm not sure I agree. I think the problem is:

a) Our best team is reliant on at least one of Williams or Massengo, both of whom have been injured.

b) Games come thick and fast. Flogging our best team week in week out hasn't worked. Martin and Weimann lose impact when starting twice a week and we don't have the strength in depth within the same system.

c) Our best team isn't actually that good. 

I also think King - when not injured - and Simpson have pretty much done what they've been brought in to do. I think the fact that two veterans brought in to add experience on a relatively low wage but not necessarily play much have brought in experience on a relatively low wage but not actually played much is the least of our concerns. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I agree that Nigel is unclear about his best line up, but I don’t think it’s his fault.  There are players who have been given chances but haven’t taken them - eg Bakinson, Palmer and Vyner. Then there are those that who could play but are injured. So who has he got left to bring into the team?  I’ll answer that myself, some of the academy players, hence his comments today. This season is just going to be about hanging on 

Edited by pongo88
  • Flames 1

Think i'd like to see something a bit like this for Barnsley, enough pace and creativity in a bit of a wide diamond formation so the two wide ish midfielders can tuck in when required.

Bentley

Tanner            Kalas          Atkinson      Dasilva

James

Massengo                                      Scott

Palmer

Wells                 Weimann

I'm not quite done with Kasey yet, maybe a fixture like this could spark a bit of life into him.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, footie said:

Think i'd like to see something a bit like this for Barnsley, enough pace and creativity in a bit of a wide diamond formation so the two wide ish midfielders can tuck in when required.

Bentley

Tanner            Kalas          Atkinson      Dasilva

James

Massengo                                      Scott

Palmer

Wells                 Weimann

I'm not quite done with Kasey yet, maybe a fixture like this could spark a bit of life into him.

Think Kasey has had more than enough chances here. Times up IMO but do we have better here anyway ? 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

11 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm not sure I agree. I think the problem is:

a) Our best team is reliant on at least one of Williams or Massengo, both of whom have been injured.

b) Games come thick and fast. Flogging our best team week in week out hasn't worked. Martin and Weimann lose impact when starting twice a week and we don't have the strength in depth within the same system.

c) Our best team isn't actually that good. 

I also think King - when not injured - and Simpson have pretty much done what they've been brought in to do. I think the fact that two veterans brought in to add experience on a relatively low wage but not necessarily play much have brought in experience on a relatively low wage but not actually played much is the least of our concerns. 

Pretty much my thoughts too.

Bar Simpson’s comedic back pass last week, I thought he was generally solid, got tight, made challenges, etc, but of course the back pass overshadows everything, which in some respects is fair.

King had played 50% of minutes up until his injury, which is probably about right.  A goal and an assist in 545 minutes….not far off Paterson levels believe it or not!

As for the 18:

8E127F35-D783-43F5-B89A-76C66073C5E1.thumb.jpeg.0c34930de275f8a94e0b125283fcffdd.jpeg

For me there is only one space up for grabs, and that’s because Baker is injured.  If Vyner doesn’t come in to give CB cover then I’d be very surprised, or conspiracy theories will start.  Kasey Palmer didn’t make the 18 last week, so for Benarous to jump those two would be a surprise, let alone calls for 20 mins.  Same with Janneh.

But you never know.

• Like 1

NP has form for chucking the players under the bus after a defeat and then picking the exact same team for the following game. 

Wouldn't expect many surprises.

My team would be .

Bentley

Kalas     Atkinson     Pring

Tanner                                                     DaSilva

James     Massengo

Palmer

Weimann     Britton

Edited by VT05763

It's a must win. Not in terms of 'relegation 6 pointer', we're certainly not there yet, but to stop the bloody count regarding this home run. To throw my 2 cents in:

Bentley; Tanner, Kalas, Atkinson, Pring; Weimann, James, HNM, Dasilva; Scott behind Wells. 

As for the surprise selections I'm not sure what he could be alluding to. Couldn't really call Vyner or Palmer coming in surprises given they've both been first team regulars fairly recently. But it'd be a big call to be seeing Benarous and Bell. I've always liked the look of Janneh mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mendip City said:

Dare I say ..........considering our belt tightening financially........    King and Simpson's recruitment seems to echo looking after your old mates, and does not reflect very well on Nige's use of the available budget?   Both are well past their best, and IMHO a waste of valuable resources.....that could have been used to pay for an absolutely essential extra striker?  Nige keeps reiterating that he does not see the point in recruiting players that are not an improvement on what is already here, and yet signs these two "has beens"??

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Would like to see benarous even for a 20 min cameo at the end . 

Anymore  highly thought of academy products we should be looking out for? 

Britton maybe?

Dylan Kadji is highly rated I believe. 

Not sure we're likely to see him around the first time yet though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveF said:

I don't remember him throwing anyone under the bus, I may have missed it though.

No names, like this week a subtle "some are not with us" etc etc. Nothing wrong with that and actually honest and clear to all.

BUT you must follow through with threats like that and several times last season he did not. Admittedly injuries were worse and choice perceived to be less, which is even more reason not to make "empty threats". - IMO.