IGNORED

QPR owner in bit of a strop about stadium sites

exAtyeoMax

If ever a club needed a new ground…

I’ve never heard anyone have a good word to say about Loftus Rd, QPR fan or visitor.

Even if it is out of necessity I think moving out of the borough would be a bad move for them, all of London is not their catchment area and the club would risk losing its identity. It wasn’t all that long ago that QPR were able to hold their own with the bigger London clubs - if memory serves they were the highest-placed team based in the capital at the conclusion of the inaugural Premier League season.

Now look at them - the fourth best team in West London arguably!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

I’m kinda with Hammersmith and Fulham council on this one, land values in west London are high and they’re effectively asking for free or heavily subsidised land when they were allegedly owned by some of the richest people in the country. Seems a very rovers thing to do 

Don't have any problem with Russian Oligarchs laundering their money through London and other UK property though apparently.

1 hour ago, walnutroof said:

I’m kinda with Hammersmith and Fulham council on this one, land values in west London are high and they’re effectively asking for free or heavily subsidised land when they were allegedly owned by some of the richest people in the country. Seems a very rovers thing to do 

They’re a very Rovers club?

2 hours ago, WessexPest said:

If ever a club needed a new ground…

I’ve never heard anyone have a good word to say about Loftus Rd, QPR fan or visitor.

Even if it is out of necessity I think moving out of the borough would be a bad move for them, all of London is not their catchment area and the club would risk losing its identity. It wasn’t all that long ago that QPR were able to hold their own with the bigger London clubs - if memory serves they were the highest-placed team based in the capital at the conclusion of the inaugural Premier League season.

Now look at them - the fourth best team in West London arguably!

I like loftus road. Bang in the middle of the local area. It's old and I quite like how boxed in it feels. 

• Like 4

Wait until they get a brand new soulless bowl somewhere. No atmosphere. They'll be pining for noisy Loftus Rd then.

The mighty Mick Jones might write a song about it, so not all bad, eh - "The Ballad of South Africa Road" - a 1,2 3 4! 

If not, perhaps "I fought the council and, the council won". Yes indeedy, it'sbeen a long week. 

Taxi! 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Haha 1

I love Loftus Road. Proper ground bang in the community. My view is that the Council should do all they can to help relocate them locally. Other Councils do much to support their club eg Exeter City Council bought St James Park to keep the club afloat. Councils have a duty to support the culture in their area. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hollydog said:

I love Loftus Road. Proper ground bang in the community. My view is that the Council should do all they can to help relocate them locally. Other Councils do much to support their club eg Exeter City Council bought St James Park to keep the club afloat. Councils have a duty to support the culture in their area. 

Do they really? When it comes to using taxes paid by people on minimum wage that maybe don't even like football to support a club owned by billionaires as a play thing I think that's somewhere I would draw the line.

• Flames 1

39 minutes ago, hollydog said:

Comparing Exeter city, with QPR, laughable.

23 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

Comparing Exeter city, with QPR, laughable.

Actually comparing Exeter City Council with Hammersmith and Fulham Council. 

Would also add that Liverpool City Council , Bradford City Council, Newcastle City Council have actively helped their clubs redevelop and/or relocate. I used Exeter as an example as I live nearby and worked there for several years.

Glad I made thee laugh though?

41 minutes ago, hollydog said:

That article doesn't mean Brentford received any local authority support. It actually meant Brentford had to make a financial contribution to the local authority. 

As per the report... "Section 106 of the Town & Country Planning Act requires landowners and developers to compensate a local planning authority for things it must build--such as roadways--because of a proposed development. Aspects of S106 agreements include financial contributions towards highway works, town center, education, and maintenance payments for things like affordable housing and public open space."

41 minutes ago, hollydog said:

Although there are two other clubs who are based in Hammersmith and Fulham whereas with the exception of Liverpool all the other cities you cite have only professional club 

6 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

That article doesn't mean Brentford received any local authority support. It actually meant Brentford had to make a financial contribution to the local authority. 

As per the report... "Section 106 of the Town & Country Planning Act requires landowners and developers to compensate a local planning authority for things it must build--such as roadways--because of a proposed development. Aspects of S106 agreements include financial contributions towards highway works, town center, education, and maintenance payments for things like affordable housing and public open space."

I realise that - i’m a Chartered Town Planner and am Head of Planning at a south west Council. 

But there was a long dialogue between Brentford FC and the Council, who assisted in finding a site before an application was submitted. Ditto Liverpool Council were instrumental in finding a site for Everton.

My own experience while working at a Council includes helping a premiership rugby club find a site. 

My point is that local Councils can choose (or not) to help facilitate a relocation/redevelopment.

The contributions under Section 106 are a matter of planning policy and are applicable to all developers.  

13 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

Although there are two other clubs who are based in Hammersmith and Fulham whereas with the exception of Liverpool all the other cities you cite have only professional club 

Good point and for smaller councils there is always the kudos of having a league football team. Rochdale get mentioned every Saturday afternoon on the tv but somewhere much bigger eg Wakefield doesn’t.