IGNORED

TIME WASTING?

marmite

Just wondered if there is a set time during a game when the ref decides he needs to take action against time wasting. HNM got booked yesterday for delaying the game by 5 seconds when he lobbed the ball over the hoarding. Twice earlier their players had picked the ball up and carried it to the ref to dispute a decision , wasting perhaps 20 seconds plus each time with no cards issued. Surely time wasting is time wasting whenever it happens during a game. I know the ref can and does add on time but why are some a booking and some not? Having said that , if all time wasting was a booking, Bentley wouldn't last 45 minutes!  Hope HNMs booking doesn't come back to bite us on the bum.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, marmite said:

Just wondered if there is a set time during a game when the ref decides he needs to take action against time wasting. HNM got booked yesterday for delaying the game by 5 seconds when he lobbed the ball over the hoarding. Twice earlier their players had picked the ball up and carried it to the ref to dispute a decision , wasting perhaps 20 seconds plus each time with no cards issued. Surely time wasting is time wasting whenever it happens during a game. I know the ref can and does add on time but why are some a booking and some not? Having said that , if all time wasting was a booking, Bentley wouldn't last 45 minutes!  Hope HNMs booking doesn't come back to bite us on the bum.

HNM didn't get booked...? 

19 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

When did HNM get booked? 

I totally missed it if he did and various sites seem to be suggesting there weren't any yellow cards in the match (I don't remember any myself). 

My mistake if wrong. People around us were saying silly booking. Hope I'm wrong then but the question is still there. No-one gets booked for delaying tactics early in the game.

22 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Our game management is so bad. Benarous picked up the ball and threw it to one of their players to take a quick throw near the end!

My daughter plays in goal at u-14 level, I have finally managed to get it through to her that if the ball goes out for a corner she is to leave it and let the opposition go and pick it out of the trees/brambles/stingers so that her team have time to get back and reset!

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Our game management is so bad. Benarous picked up the ball and threw it to one of their players to take a quick throw near the end!

After he got tackled by Chris Martin, he must have wondered who was playing with and against him :laughcont:

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

That was unbelievable. We were 2 minutes 30 into injury time. What made it worse was how out of shape we then were when they attacked us. All over the place even when there's a minute or so remaining!

991671798_Screenshot2021-10-31at21_12_52.thumb.png.17ef0651528435eda211fce0504b3b92.png

Benarous looked like he would have been running into their half with Wells ahead of him. Instead Martin puts in a fantastic challenge on his own teammate and Barnsley pick up the loose ball and go and create that sitter!

The defending as a team for that Barnsley open goal is why I don't agree with those that say we have had bad luck at the end of games. We have been unorganised at the end of games and teams have taken advantage. Don't know how we got away with that one, but I guess one day someone was going to miss a sitter we gift them in injury time!

Perfect break was on. Benarous is fairly quick, good on the ball and he looked to have open space in front of him. It was all set up for a staring role, and then....
Chris Martin ?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

The defending as a team for that Barnsley open goal is why I don't agree with those that say we have had bad luck at the end of games. We have been unorganised at the end of games and teams have taken advantage. Don't know how we got away with that one, but I guess one day someone was going to miss a sitter we gift them in injury time!

I don’t like using the term “luck” per se, but I would say what is happening is “just football”.  You show me any team on a bad run or lacking in confidence or the like and I’ll show you a team who get deeper and deeper, can’t string simple passes together, etc, etc.

Its bonkers.

But it’s just what happens.  No real logic.

When you’re in form, shots get deflected in, opposition players play dodgy backpasses, etc.

Okay the good teams and the bad teams get their dues over a season.

We aren’t a great side, we aren’t awful either.  We are a team around mid-table / just lower half.

Some crude examples:

- Birmingham who we play on Tuesday.

8A0065D4-B850-43D5-AEB8-AB5C721D6C04.thumb.jpeg.904e5491a1560a895c7d6f18c6a887d5.jpeg

I’d say our keeper is better, defence similar, midfield similar, forwards similar.  You could quite conceivably replace any one of their players with ours or vice versa and it wouldn’t make much difference.  They are a good example of why us and them are where we are in the table.

Lets take Forest:

5074376E-79A5-4674-998A-6C2C05611B6F.thumb.jpeg.f286da88c94cdc7c6db39ff23f875e4b.jpeg

Defence similar, maybe Forest a bit better at full-back/WB.  Midfield similar. Up top more dynamic, probably stronger squad overall.  Forest actually below us, but recovering from a bad start.  They will finish above us somewhere.

Lets go top end of mid-table next:

Luton Town

C4FB420D-D188-4C69-B048-49F884DA4383.thumb.jpeg.14d2cef16f91ae521ade47d1da73bf25.jpeg
pound for pound you’d probably say we edge it, the odd exception with Ruddock and underrated players like Rea and Bradley.

But even looking at these 3 teams (Albeit very subjectively / simplistically) there isn’t a lot between them.  What makes each different?  System, Identity, whether they all know what they’re doing.  I think we’d both suggest Luton are getting great value out of the sum of the parts, Forest starting to also, Brum, very much like us.

The challenge is for Pearson to build that coherent and cohesive team (like Jones at Luton).  He can’t do that in one window.  Even signings like Weimann, who you could well ask….why sign him on a 3 year deal if he’s not what you might really want?  Because he was free, took an acceptable wage, and was low risk in terms of knowing what you’re gonna get (bar injury return, although appears he was already fit last season, but squad size meant he was de-registered).  Nige couldn’t afford to make too mistakes, least of all ones for fees, hence just Atkinson.

It is still really too soon.  You hope it’ll click quicker, but that would’ve been a big bonus, but I’m not convinced we have a squad that’s balanced at all.

I saw the 442 system early season as a compromise / best fit for what we had.  Even now when I suggest going back to back 4 and not change it whatsoever, it’s because I think a back 3 is much worse (for several reasons).

Over time we should see improvement, in fact we must see improvement, but I think another good check point is January.  A window to shuffle the pack again.  It won’t be easy to manufacture much personnel movement, but we can reflect on what the squad looks like then.

All a bit philosophical from me Jon, but I know it seems bonkers to be a third into a season, especially Nige having had a third last season too, and it all look a bit disjointed still.  I think it shows the scale of rebuild.

Finally, I do agree we have some good players, but bar probably Kalas none are top-Championship, or at least not enough of them are good enough to carry a team.  It’s tough at the mo’, granted.

17 hours ago, marmite said:

My mistake if wrong. People around us were saying silly booking. Hope I'm wrong then but the question is still there. No-one gets booked for delaying tactics early in the game.

It happened just a few weeks ago to Jamal Lewis, sent off for a second yellow on 36 minutes.